Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help how to keep condensation free ???
INDY BIRD

posted on 12/1/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
help how to keep condensation free ???

Hi all

went in the garage tonigh and it was damper than ever and its ticking me off, mnr will start to rust if this continues oh and the chrome on the new harley will be affected,

may get a bubble for the bike but any other ideas, its a big double garage not attached so will prob cost a fortune to heat,

any ideas welcome of course in the tradition ideally locost

cheers all

dilley

posted on 12/1/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
2 tonnes of salt....that will absorb it!
flak monkey

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the inside temp warmer than the outside temp and allow some ventilation. Its the only way to properly stop damp.

A couple of trays of salt will help too, but if its veyr damp they'll need changing regularly.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

INDY BIRD

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
only 2 tonnes ?

hows it going mr diley hope the buggy is going well?

its not really really bad, just the hole bike was covered in condensation and i have spent the evening cleaning it all off and trying to heat up tha garage to clear it all,

so may look at vents in the windows etc if that will help??

cheers

[Edited on 12/1/11 by INDY BIRD]

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I use an oil product from Scotoiler to spray on my chromework which protects from road grime and condensation in winter, easily washes off too, works well.

May help until you get the vent sorted out.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

dilley

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly done mate! been out for a drive although we are still trying to resolve the mystery running issue!
dilley

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Leave the window open on trickle?
MikeR

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the garage 'breaths'. Lots of gaps will let lots of air circulate and you'll get no damp. A sealed garage (like a sealed loft) will get damp.
zilspeed

posted on 12/1/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lotssssss of ventilation.

If you can't heat it, have loads of ventilation.

RazMan

posted on 12/1/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
As said, ventilation is your best bet. You might try an electric oil filled radiator on really low setting - it might help a little during the wettest months.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 12/1/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
If its condensation then it must have some temperature. Try a basic dehumidifier, parents have one in the home works well, also gives an endless supply of ionised water, lime free, great for the wifes steam Iron if you live in a hardwater area.
jwallbank

posted on 12/1/11 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ventilation has worked for me. Keeping with the locost theme I used a fan from an old desktop computer power supply - they run on 12v, quiet and are long life - I cut a 3" hole in the wall and mounted it on the inside like an extractor fan. You can leave them running permanently. Ran initially from a 12v battery but later used a 12v power supply from a dead rechargeable torch. Works a treat, my build which has been on the go for 5 years now and the fan is still going strong. Don't have any heating on except when I'm in there working.
RazMan

posted on 12/1/11 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwallbank
Don't have any heating on except when I'm in there working.

You have HEAT in you garage??? I just have a woolly hat
eeeeeee by gum .... luxury

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 13/1/11 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ventilation in this instance will not help, our barn was very damp yesterday and has natural ventilation through big gaps in the doors and through cracks in the Walls.
It's been very misty lately so the air is full of water the only way to prevent this is to heat the space above the dew point which I think is 12 degrees.
For you Steve I think only a big inflated car bubble will keep it dry

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snapper

posted on 13/1/11 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
A bit more research shows that condensation occures closer to the current air temperature the more humid the air is so the recent problem is due to the high humidity/mist we had yesterday.
If the material is hotter than the air, water will not condensate out of the air on to the surface, yesterday the air temp was 12 C so the car would have to be hotter than that, most other days the difference between dew point and air temp could be as much as 20 C
No fixed temperature to aim for but in general a misty day will mean condensation, covering the car may help to reduce the issue

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

Irony

posted on 13/1/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I suffer with this problem as well. My garage is okay but I started using a butane gas heater and that just kicks out water. The only way I have found is a proper stove burning wood or coal. Or a dehumidifier. I now have both and the garage is dry as bones. The dehumidifier is cool. It came from B@Q and cost £80.

ed1801

posted on 13/1/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
For winter on my bike I use ACF 50 spray stuff. cover the whole thing with this and then wash it off in spring. It does come off easily when washing and protects against water and salt. My bike has now ridden through 12 salty winters - and there is no rust on it whatsoever. Shame that everything else about it is knackered.
Bluemoon

posted on 13/1/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ventilation simples.. I have had some issues take a look at this thread:

linky

Still there but ventilation has helped a lot in my case it's damp rising from the floor....

Dan

matt_gsxr

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:
Originally posted by jwallbank
Don't have any heating on except when I'm in there working.

You have HEAT in you garage??? I just have a woolly hat
eeeeeee by gum .... luxury

You have a garage, I dream of a woolly hat

JoelP

posted on 13/1/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
problem also arises when the garage has filled up with moist air during the day, as it cools at night the moist air deposits the water, as it cannot hold it all when cold - similar concept to why it rains. Also, large lumps of metal get very cold overnight and then, during the day, they get condensed on again.

So, insulation also helps because it reduces how much the temp changes, both of the air and the items in the garage.

You need to experiment, try a 100w old style bulb on constantly, and a dehumidifier, and ventilation, and see which works for you.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

snapper

posted on 13/1/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
This shows the problem we have in trying to combat condensation in a garage

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.