Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK INDY SVA fail Norwich.
Mike McKinstry

posted on 14/7/04 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
MK INDY SVA fail Norwich.

hi, just failed on 4 points.
1. bott. of dash radii not quite 19mm
2.no self centering action-we had done a bit of toe out and tyre pressures 24lbs so can anyone advise are mk indy top w/bones handed and would this make the difference?
3.n/side trackrod fouling m/guard support-have only just noticed n/side wheel turns in much harder than o/side-have other Indy owners same prob and if so how rectified
4.finally-speedo out by 12/13 mph so when reading 70 u are actually doing 82mph.Have 195-50-15 tyres which i thought would be ok with sierra std speedo but have just thought speedo is not from orig donor so could be a 1.6/2.0 instead of required 1.8-has anyone a spare 1.8 dash/speedo head or can u recommend how i would go about recalibrating what i have.
Otherwise guys friendly enough and advised of reasons for failure-had to be up at 5.30 so off to bed.
Can also recommend good trailer hire co. if in bury St ed area of Suffolk-fantastic tipping trailer very reasonable.
Mike.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a bugger, eh?

Still, everything's fixable without too much pain.

Soon be on the road!

David

Mk-Ninja

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
On you self centreing. The wishbones are handed Short to the back. and yes it will affect the self centre. ( note ball joints to point up). Also you need your tyre pressures down to about 15 so they grip the road.

Edit. make sure that the mushroom in the upright has its hole to the front, help the caster.

[Edited on 14:7:04 by Mk-Ninja]

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Mk-Ninja

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
On the rack hitting the cycle wings. Just take the boot off and put a jubilee clip on both sides of the rack. They tend to fall off when its passed

alister667

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the top front wishbones are handed.
The longer side of the wishbone should be towards the front of the vehicle and the threaded part that the balljoint goes into should point slightly up.
This should help give the front suspension maximum castor - this helps the self centering (as does a fair bit of toe-out).

OK that was all from my shakey memory and I remember a fair bit of confusion about this, but if I have anything wrong I'm sure folks will let me know!!

I also had the trackrod fouling the wingstay - I sorted this by putting a stopper onto the end of the steering rack and reducing the steering lock.
Sorry no help on the speedo, except maybe you could do the rolling diameter calculations and fit 13" wheels to get through the test....
All the best
Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I put a piece of hose round the rack under gator and jubilee clipped it.Only needed half inch of hose

Here's an over head pic of front hub too Rescued attachment view over front hub.jpg
Rescued attachment view over front hub.jpg

paulf

posted on 14/7/04 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had the problem with the speedo, fortunately it was only 10mph out at 70 , I was therefore able to set it at 9mph when stationary, as allowed by regs which state it must read below 10 at standstill. This solved the problem and it is spot on at 70.
From what i could find out all ford speedos are 1000 turns per mile , it is the drive ratio from the gearbox that alters.
There are a number of different interchangable pinions for the sierra box.
Paul.

Mike McKinstry

posted on 14/7/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys,looks like a search for a 1.8 pinto speedo-perhaps I can change the speedo head and keep the same binnacle??
Mike McKinstry

posted on 14/7/04 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
speedo problem

Sorry mate,just read your post again and realised my last post makes no sense-it has been a long day.
If all sierra speedos are same and drive gear is different then that does not explain why my 1.8 with std 5 speed box is not reading correct.Back to quest. are tyre size 195/50/15 affecting it?Were original tyre size 165/80/13.
As I say speedo head is unknown could be 2.0 or 1.6 and am running 1.8 drivegear.
Speedo reading 35mph was actually 47,reading of 40 is actual 53,read at 50 is actual 62mph ,reading 60mph is actual 72 and reading 70 on speedo is actua 82mph?
Clues please???
Mike.

MK7

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the speedo, it looks like it is reading constantly high by around 12 to 13 mph at each of the speeds that you indicated.

To me this sounds like the speedo needle is in the wrong place, you might want to look at pulling the needle off the spindle and positioning it to a lower speed.

One way you could do this would be to put the car on axle stands, start the engine, put the car in gear (4th or 5th) and see what the speedo reads when the engine is at tick over, you might want to set the idle speed to get a constant speed of say 33 mph. Assuming you can do this then pull the needle off the spindle and reposition it to 20mph or slightly less for a safety margin.

After that the speedo should be reading accurately.

I also have a 1.8 Pinto and am using the original Sierra dash. You should be able to check the accuracy of the speedo from the tachometer. My car also has 195/50/15's and my speed calculator says that...

[Edit This bit is wrong, see the bit below for the correct figures
In 4th gear at 2000 RPM the speedo should read 35 mph, at 3,000 RPM it should read just over 52 mph and at 4,000 it should read 70. ]

Correct figures are:
35mph in 4th = 1943 rpm, in 5th = 1593 rpm
40 in 4th = 2220 rpm, in 5th = 1820
50 in 4th = 2775 rpm, in 5th = 2276
60 in 4th = 3330 rpm, in 5th = 2731
70 in 4th = 3885 rpm, in 5th = 3186

I'd be happy to send you my speed calculator if it helps. End edit

This assumes that you have a 3.92:1 final drive in the diff.

It also assumes that your rev counter is accurate

HTH

[Edited on 14/7/04 by MK7]

MK7

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the front wishbones...

I think MK-Ninja got his thinking back to front, take a look at my photo archive. Bob's picture also shows the short side of the wishbones to the front.

The idea is to have the top ball joint as close to the front of the car as possible to deliver maximum castor angle so the hole in the mushroom should also be as close to the front as possible.

With this set up and zero camber, zero toe the car self centres very well.

FYI, when I set up my steering I checked with the garage that one full turn of the track rods equates to five degrees of toe...

Russell

j_davis

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's anything to do with your tyres or speedo ratios as your difference between indicated and true speed is always 12mph. If the ratio was wrong the difference would increase with speed (I can explain if needed, but it took me a short while to get my head round it)
It sounds like the zero for your speedo is not set correctly.

Mike McKinstry

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,thats 2 takers for needle wrongly fitted-I do vaguely remember the speedo needle dropping lower whilst car was sitting one day although how that may have happened??-would make sensethough if i were to move up spindle equiv.to 12mph-is that poss?

The 195/50/15s are not the problem then?
Mike.

paulf

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
The problem you will have with this method is that for SVA the speedo must read below 10mph when stationary.
I was lucky as mine was just 10mph out, and i got away with moving the needle.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McKinstry
Thanks,thats 2 takers for needle wrongly fitted if i were to move up spindle equiv.to 12mph-is that poss?

The 195/50/15s are not the problem then?
Mike.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/7/04 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
measure the outside dia of the tyres,that will cause the speedo yo be out if they are diffo

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mk-Ninja

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry MK7. but I have not got it wrong. The top wishbones should be put on with the short arm to the back.
The reason is you are trying to get the hub to lean backwards, that is why you put the hole in the mushroom insert to the front. ( You can buy me a pint next wednesday )

Gordon

Mike McKinstry

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
right,have just measured outside diameter of 195/50/15 to be 72" and 165/80/13 73".
Is 1" enough to throw speedo by 12mph through range andI know some cleverer builders have told me this would vary through range if tyre related-Am just trying to eliminate all possibilities.A friend has said get lower 1.6 plastic speedo gear for box but can the gear be affecting speedo if all ford speedos are set to 1000 revs per mile and i have a matched 1.8 engine and box?
I dont want to retest and fail again!
mike

David Jenkins

posted on 16/7/04 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I was told to subtract 2% from the circumference to account for the 'squish' at the bottom of the tyre... however, this may be a complete load of fetid dingoes kidneys, so don't rely on me!

Really, you shouldn't work to such tight tolerances - give yourself a fair bit of slack.

Also: the number of revs per mile doesn't rely on the engine/box combination - it depends on wheel/tyre size, diff ratio, gearbox speedo drive cogs, etc. I have a X-flow driving a type 9 box into a 1:3.89 diff onto 13" wheels and 185/70 tyres - I calculated that my speedo outlet spins at 1027 per mile.

David

[Edited on 16/7/04 by David Jenkins]

David Jenkins

posted on 16/7/04 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
An afterthought - you might find this useful - go to this link and select 'gearcalc' from the left-hand menu.

It's a really useful utility for estimating speeds from engine revs, gear ratios and diff ratios.

David

mad4x4

posted on 16/7/04 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
MIke,
Get the shot of a gps, these measure speed and check it that way These will be accurate.

you asking if and 1" in circumferance can make a difference the yes don't know about 12MPH,

Do you have the diff out of the doner vehicle or is is from a different vehicle

[Edited on 16/707/04 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MK7

posted on 21/7/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Oooooooooppppppsss The Ninja was right

Apologies Gordon, I got the wishbone orientation wrong and you were right, and so were my own pictures...

Russell

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.