Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Capping open chassis tubes
Chris_R

posted on 20/8/04 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Capping open chassis tubes

I'm gonna weld 2mm plates over the ends of open chassis tubes, but can anyone recomend a good way of clamping them before tacking? Don't fancy getting my fingers in the way.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 20/8/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Use friends fingers

Adam

P.S. I am not a friend

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 20/8/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i got a pair of welding gloves, that can take some incredible heat for short periods of times. they do get very hot eventually though. With these you can easily hold it whilst you tack it in place, then let go (or adjust with the hammer) before fully welding it. failing that, tack the square to a small bar, then snap and grind?

i must say though, plastic caps and silicone seem better looking back.

[Edited on 20/8/04 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Chris_R

posted on 20/8/04 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm now onto my second pair of welders gauntlets and you're right about the heat they can stand. Suppose if someone else's done it before and lived I may as well risk my fingers. they'll grow back anyway.

Chris_R

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can you suggest a plastic cap supplier? That would be far easier and less time consuming.

JoelP

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
i never did this one myself, but there was a thread maybe 6 months ago where someone was saying they were gonna use them. Someone will come along soon who knows!

or a square of wood and silione. If you have a tube of silicone it makes sense! bloody good stuff. I got loads in the van for work...

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
You have to cut them any way so i did mine slightly larger and tapped them in with a hammer.Works perfectly
j_davis

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
For plastic end caps I found this company very good. They seemed a little expensive, but they will do any size order and were very quick.
http://www.abacus-furniture.co.uk/welcome.htm

James.

[Edited on 20/8/04 by j_davis]

derf

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been using a vice grip to hold one side to the frame, tack it in place, and bend it down, then weld the rest of it on.
andyharding

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I got strips of steel just wide enough to fit inside the end of the tube and then cut lengths off to make little squares that would fit in the end of the tube. Much less cutting.

I used a magnetic welding clamp to hold them in place while tacking.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Peteff

posted on 20/8/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
A little speaker magnet holds them while you tack a corner. I used a strip cut off the 16g steel for the floor panel then cut it into squares after. Cut it a bit smaller one way and it wedges inside to make it even easier.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JohnN

posted on 20/8/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Capping ends with 1.6mm sheet pieces, using a TIG torch is one of the more satisfying jobs in welding.

Cut slightly oversize, tacked by holding with a gloved hand and then sealed all around by simply melting over the edges - very theraputic and a great finish. No filler rod required.

JohnN

Chris_R

posted on 20/8/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have a MIG and Stick welder. Can someone explain the principles of TIG please?

niceperson709

posted on 20/8/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
what i did was to cut pieces of 20mm 20mm long and then split them in half so i had two u shaped pieces which then fit nicely INSIDE the tube to be capped weld and tidy up with the grinder = perfect job
Best wishes
Iain

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/8/04 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I just held the plate in place with the wooden handle of a hammer, tacked 2 opposing corners and removed the hammer.

I found that metal supermarkets sold the plastic end caps, but I think 'real' caps are better anyway.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

scutter

posted on 20/8/04 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
i used a tapered slither of steel tacked to the centre of the square and the held this piece to hold the square in the correct postion.

Hope that made sense.

ATB Dan.

blueshift

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember someone doing a bit of analysis and saying that welded end caps to tubes made an important contribution to stiffness, and 3mm plate was reccomended to make them out of.. if I remember correctly.
JoelP

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
good idea there, Syd.

i might add, all my 'structural' tubes have welded caps, the remaining few are not structural and will get plugged with whatever is closest to hand.

[Edited on 21/8/04 by JoelP]

MikeRJ

posted on 21/8/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I cut most of the tubes 50mm longer, then cut out most of the spare tube leaving a 25mm long flap of metal at each end. Bend it down and weld around three sides, job done.
Spyderman

posted on 22/8/04 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I just use a bit of masking tape to hold the small bits on whilst tacking.
It holds it long enough to do the job and burns off when finishing off the weld.
Either that or the end of the hammer, or whatever comes to hand with a long enough reach to keep my fingers out of the way.

Terry

Spyderman

James

posted on 22/8/04 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fingers worked fine for me!

Although, obviously, as a responsible welder I would recommend anyone else away from using fingers!

James

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.