Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Couple of MK questions.........
Sloan85

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of MK questions.........

Couple of questions to help me in my research.....

Just wondering whether I will fit in an MK Indy. I am 6'1" and 16st.

I have heard space is tight in the 7 style cars so was hoping I would fit in an MK. What do you think?

Also, I was looking at building with an R1 engine but after speaking to someone who "knows almost everything about bikes" (apparently) has told me to build with a GSXR 1000 engine. I know very little about bikes but can someone tell me which would be best? (the guy I spoke to said hayabusa would be the first choose but this is out my budget).

Cheers

nick205

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, you will fit in an Indy.

Know very little about bike engines myself, but the R1 is well used in kit cars from what I've seen.

bobinspain

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
You'll fit no problem. I'm 5' 11" and 16 stones. Getting in and out is a pain, but then I'm 64 yrs young in 3 months.
At the MK open day last year, MK had a bespoke build for a customer who was 6'5".
A Gen2 Busa engine will set you back £3k plus. For a third of that, you can get proven technology and performance from a Gixer or the R1.

[Edited on 9/7/12 by bobinspain]

Staple balls

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'4" and 18st. brother in law is about the same. we both fit fine in an indy.

LBMEFM

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6'6" and 17st and I fit into to my Indy very well. I have a small steering wheel and shell type seats which help and are very comfortable. For track work I have had welded a curved section on top of the factory roll bar and rear support struts. I have an early Fireblade engine in mine, it is very fast and you can pick up a good carb'd engine for £300-£400 I have no experience of bike engines what so ever, but found it easy to install. Have a chat with the MK guys they are extremly helpful and arrange a visit for a test drive. I would certainly recommend MK's. You don't say where you are based but if you are anywhere near Kent you are welcome to have a test drive of mine.
Barry

[Edited on 9/7/12 by LBMEFM]

Sloan85

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the speedy replies.

Another question....... Is there a definitive list of items needed for building an Indy? I would be looking to get the deluxe kit but just trying to work out what extras I will need.

Cheers

Hellfire

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you want Busa power for half the price, fit a ZX12R. ;-)

Phil

Sloan85

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will look into it.

Another couple of questions, does the MK Indy use drums or discs on the rear? Does anyone have a link to a thorough build diary from start to finish?

Thanks.

nick205

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloan85
thanks for the speedy replies.

Another question....... Is there a definitive list of items needed for building an Indy? I would be looking to get the deluxe kit but just trying to work out what extras I will need.

Cheers

How long is a piece of string

There is no definitive list containing everything you will ever need. The build of each car is so personal and dependent on your time, budget, requirements etc. that it's pretty open ended.

The common story from pretty much every builder though is take your start budget and add 25-50% to it. It's amazing how the cost mounts up as you go along, especially if you add in tool purchases.

DON'T let that put you off though, there's always a solution and you've already found the best possible source of help right here (Locostbuilders, not me BTW)

jacko

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you fill in where you live someone is bound to live near you that has built a mk
<<<<<<
<<<<<<
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddbaz

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I don't live too far away, I'm in Stamford mk Indy r with zx12r welcome anytime to have a look and a chat.
ReMan

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've couple of jobs to do on mine before the MOT runs out on 13th, but if theres a dry evening (or should that be if theres a dry evening ever again) between now and then i'm happy to spin out for a fitting.
I;ve got Cobras in mine, Im 5-10 17st you can gain another couple of inches in shell seats
Col

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

zilspeed

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'2" and weigh somewhere between 12.5 and 19 stone depending on how keen I am on cakes at the point of weighing.

I fit in an Indy absolutely perfectly.

I do not properly fit in a book locost at all and still have space for a seat.

Indy I'm right on the money.

Custardpants

posted on 9/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
As above you'll fit fine- my brother @ 6'1" and 16 st fits fine too but i'd like to see him try to get out of the car if his weight was around his middle rather than shoulders

I went for a gen II busa as i wanted it to be fast enough, which it just about is, but had no idea how much the dry sump would set me back. All in the car is great but has taken significant(albeit fun) work to put right, and this was a factory car. If there are other bike engines out there with similar power without needing dry sumping i'd go for one of those instead, a gen II busa with a dry sump is some cash..

Have you had a Look at the MEV mevabusa too? After practically rebuilding my MK this year, I had a good look at a mevabusa at goodwood. A lot of their extras are expensive but the base kit itself looks like a lot easier, cheaper, and lighter build than an MK, and being 100kg lighter than an Indy, one will be mad with even an R1 engine- i'd have gone this route in hindsight, sourcing all my own additional parts/ancilliaries, including the standard bike loom which the car is designed to use. Don't get me wrong - MK has been good to me and I love my Indy but look at all your options - with the mevabusa I'd have probably saved 7k over my MK build, and ended up with a much faster, and a less 'is it a caterham?' looking car.

big_l

posted on 9/7/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
dont forget MNR awsome quality exelent re-sale value and mega back up .... have a chat with chris he's very helpfull

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

MikeFellows

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
im almost finished a MK Indy-R from a deluxe kit

you will still need a lot of stuff

obvioulsy you need to supply all the sierra running gear, if you going to run a busa (as I am), you will need airbox/filter, something to make the clutch work, a shortened and baffled sump. You will also need all your electrics, speedo healer, potentially a power commander

ive not even started on wheels and tyres, brakes, master cylinders, push pull cables, reverse box if its going on the road, seats, dash, lights, trim

and the above is off the top of my head

when i first looked at building a busa based kit, people told me you could do it for cheap for £8k and a good en for £12k. with mistakes and wanting the best of everything ive blown my £12k budget

edit to add: I'm 6'3" and 16st and fit fine

[Edited on 10/7/12 by MikeFellows]

big_l

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed I personally feel that a good high spec busa build will and has in my case cost 18k +

Well worth it though

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

bobinspain

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows

obvioulsy you need to supply all the sierra running gear, if you going to run a busa (as I am), you will need airbox/filter, something to make the clutch work, a shortened and baffled sump. You will also need all your electrics, speedo healer, potentially a power commander

ive not even started on wheels and tyres, brakes, master cylinders, push pull cables, reverse box if its going on the road, seats, dash, lights, trim

when i first looked at building a busa based kit, people told me you could do it for cheap for £8k and a good en for £12k. with mistakes and wanting the best of everything ive blown my £12k budget

Mike,

If you are interested in the precise spec of my factory car (£15k, built), I'll happily list it for you (u2u?). There's not much missing on the spec, except no dry sump. I've gone for billet sump with swing arm pickup, and as you know, I have the Pipercross air filter.
You can save yourself £500 by talking to SJL or Cosmick who can get the same results by re-programming the Busa ECU as you'd achieve with a PC 5, (which I have).
I have Flatshifter Expert and ally everything. Braided hoses, plenty of carbon, LED lights, the works. The engine was a 68 miler (sixty eight) Gen2, supplied to MK by a pal of Mal Curnin, (Yorkshire engines).
Take a look at my archive for photos. I'll happily post more if you wish. I'm happy to attempt to feed back some of the help I've had on this site. I'd have been lost without it. However, please don't ask me any techie questions!

Addendum: Mike, I'd really appreciate feedback on Cosmick's masterpiece. I'll be ordering one pronto if it fits.

[Edited on 10/7/12 by bobinspain]

MikeFellows

posted on 11/7/12 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows

Mike,

If you are interested in the precise spec of my factory car (£15k, built), I'll happily list it for you (u2u?). There's not much missing on the spec, except no dry sump. I've gone for billet sump with swing arm pickup, and as you know, I have the Pipercross air filter.
You can save yourself £500 by talking to SJL or Cosmick who can get the same results by re-programming the Busa ECU as you'd achieve with a PC 5, (which I have).
I have Flatshifter Expert and ally everything. Braided hoses, plenty of carbon, LED lights, the works. The engine was a 68 miler (sixty eight) Gen2, supplied to MK by a pal of Mal Curnin, (Yorkshire engines).
Take a look at my archive for photos. I'll happily post more if you wish. I'm happy to attempt to feed back some of the help I've had on this site. I'd have been lost without it. However, please don't ask me any techie questions!

Addendum: Mike, I'd really appreciate feedback on Cosmick's masterpiece. I'll be ordering one pronto if it fits.

[Edited on 10/7/12 by bobinspain]

Bob,

your car is pretty much identical spec to mine from what I have seen...

White body with black cycle wings, full caged rose jointed chassis, same holeshot sump as you, i wont be purchasing a power commander though as im fully aware of the busa ecu actually being better than a power commander.

as soon as I get the box from cosmick I will get it fitted and if it fits, I will post direct to you

Sloan85

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
i have set aside £8k for the build. Do you think I can build an Indy R1 for this money? I could put in another £1-2k probably throughout the build duration so £9-10k max.

another question...... Does the Indy have rear discs or drums?

Cheers!

[Edited on 11/7/12 by Sloan85]

Sloan85

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, another question. Do people normally buy the engine on its own or buy a bike, strip it and sell any parts that aren't needed?
Hellfire

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Your budget sounds fine to me but the spec obviously depends on your ability to make/source parts cheaply. Indy can have either drums or discs depending on your preference.

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
sorry, another question. Do people normally buy the engine on its own or buy a bike, strip it and sell any parts that aren't needed?

I guess that depends on factors such as price, how much space you have and how much effort you want to put into it. I reckon if you wanted a Busa engine it would be cheaper to buy the whole bike, take the engine and bits you need and sell the rest.

Phil

Sloan85

posted on 11/7/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the speedy replys guys. It really is helping in my research. Still got questions so will just use this thread to ask them if that's ok.... :-)

Does anyone with a bike engined Indy have a full spec of parts they have bought? Just looking to work out exactly what else I would need to buy.

ChrisRidge

posted on 11/7/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for all the speedy replys guys. It really is helping in my research. Still got questions so will just use this thread to ask them if that's ok.... :-)

Does anyone with a bike engined Indy have a full spec of parts they have bought? Just looking to work out exactly what else I would need to buy.

BEC specific parts include but not limited to-

Baffle plate
If R1 5VY then breathing mods to camshaft casing
sprocket adapter
2 part propshaft
Gear linkage, gear cable & mounts, for either gear shift or paddle
stronger clutch springs
clutch arm modification
filter holder or airbox modified
MK bike engine cradle
3.38 diff
In tank fuel pump if later injection R1 engine

Sure another member will point out any missed!!

Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.