Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Pinto trouble starting
RobBrown

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Pinto trouble starting

Still trying to tune carbs...

Engine will only start when the idle screw is turned all the way in, but still very lumpy and eventually cuts out. Turning the screw out and it doesn't start at all.

Does that mean a smaller Pilot Jet? Or something else?

teegray19

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Are you starting with the choke?
RobBrown

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
choke does make it a little easier, but still requires screw turned in.
teegray19

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need the choke for a little while, try idle screws at 1 and 3/4 turns out, are you running dizzy or mega jolt?

I quests if its dizzy you may need some vacuum advance.

snapper

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Where is your needle posisions
I found that you can richer up by lifting the needle a bit
Ultimately you will need to rolling road it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

RobBrown

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
running megajolt, timing advance at 12

needle in middle, OK for WOT.

Will get it to RR eventually, but would be nice to get it at least starting OK.

jacko

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Dose the engine turn over fast enough
What fuel pump are you using bike pump i hope ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RobBrown

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
yes, bike pump. battery may be a shy of fully charged after the continued retries, so may be worth waiting until the morning before trying again and getting the engine up to temp on the choke.

Will try increasing the Throttle position up a little also - currently 3% according to TPS, seeing as seems to run better with a little throttle.

jacko

posted on 14/9/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
What size are your main jets my carbs are zx9r's and they have 1.7mm jets with 3/4 turn out on the air screws
Also have you balanced the carbs you will have problems if not

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RobBrown

posted on 14/9/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
1.7 jets were way too rich, for some reason. Ended up with 120 main jets to satisfy the AFR at WOT.

the fact that the main jet is so much smaller than what I expected it to be makes me think the pilot should be smaller too.

It does seem to still smell rich at idle, however lumpy, especially when I turn the screws out.

Re balancing - I've not separated the carbs so how would I balance then?

jacko

posted on 14/9/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
You will need a balance gauge you balance no 1 and 2 carbs then 3 to 4 then 2 to 3
New Motorcycle Carb Carburettor Vacuum Balancer Gauge 2 / 4 Cylinder Gauges Kit
Something like these if you havs balance pipes in your manifold
do a search on here there is lots of info how to make your own

[Edited on 14/9/13 by jacko]

RobBrown

posted on 14/9/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've already got a carbtune kit.

No pipes on manifold

ordered new vacuum nipples\adaptors from
MorganCarbtune

will see how unbalanced they are when they arrive

[Edited on 14/9/13 by RobBrown]

RichardK

posted on 15/9/13 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
1.2 jet seems incredibly small and potentially running very weak, my pinto ended up at 1.65 jets with the free flowing filters on.

Trouble starting I would be looking at float height as a priority and putting main jets at 1.55 to start with too and as get them synced as soon as you can get them to run at 3 or 4k

If the carbs are unknown as in cleanliness I would be stripping and cleaning them thoroughly as well and don't be surprised if you have to do more than once and be meticulous in keeping your work area clean and tidy and do one carb at a time there are plenty of YouTube videos that show how this is done too.

I wouldn't even be looking at afr just yet concentrating more on plug colour

Just my 2 pennenth and hope you get sorted soon

If you don't understand how carbs and the different functions different jets do in the rev range, Dan explains it really well HERE in fact his whole motorcycle course is worth a read for anybody interested in bikes.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 15/9/13 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

RobBrown

posted on 15/9/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice Rich

I started with bigger jets(1.75), it ran but bogged down under acceleration. Bought AFR meter, and discovered was running too rich at WOT, so have slowly come down in jet size so that WOT was correct AFR. That's when it stopped starting and idling.

In the midst of all this I've fitted MegaJolt - just because I was convinced timing and Dizzy was causing some of the problems

Can get it to start on the choke, but very lumpy and will eventually stop if not feathered on the throttle enough.

I'm obviously missing a piece of critical info as I too believe 1.2 is too small for a 2.0l pinto, based on the research I've done.

With the bigger jets the plugs were very wet and black.

With the 1.2 jets they are dryer and better. Practically everything is telling me 1.2 is correct even though I'm convinced like you that they are too small - apart for the starting issue.

Rob

sjmatthews

posted on 15/9/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Something else to consider is the fuel contamination. If its more than 6 months old it could be blocking the idle jets, and they'll need to be blown through, and the system drained. Make sure the fuel is fresh and you have a filter pre and post pump.
Speaking from my own experience

Good luck

I'll be in the garage dear!

RobBrown

posted on 15/9/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
fuel has been in sealed jerry can - does that matter? Will it still be contaminated?

filter pre and post pump

Going to take off and clean carbs through, just to be sure, just so I can be confident of answering these suggestions.

Should be able to check balance as well by next weekend

BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/9/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Have you blocked your air correctors? We have seen this done before, it does increase fuelling even with a small main jet, but makes the fuelling rich at near full throttle.

If you have blocked them, unblock them and try 1.8mm mains with needles dropped to second from lowest position.

What AFRs are you aiming for at light throttle and full throttle?

[Edited on 15/9/13 by BaileyPerformance]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RobBrown

posted on 15/9/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
yes blocked, they came that way.

Just stripped carb down - 2 of the 4 idle mixture screws rubber O rings split and need replacing

Was trying to keep AFR at around 13, but found most jets caused AFR to drop to 9.

1.2 Jets kept it at around 11.5

Will try unblocking before I put it all back together. Can always block them back up again afterwards.

[Edited on 15/9/13 by RobBrown]

snapper

posted on 15/9/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have played with Megajolt cranking advance to make engine turnover easier
Check your getting full choke when you pull the cable
Also choke is not effective on bike carbs if you also apply throttle

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 16/9/13 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobBrown
running megajolt, timing advance at 12

have you checked that it really is giving you 12° ? (i.e. with a timing strobe)

just to eliminate things you could also try running a 2D map (without the TPS) or even unplug MJ and just use the EDIS4 (which should be 10° fixed)

also my carb's came with 1.6mm jets from bogg bros to 'get me on the road' so 1.2mm seems a little small...

[Edited on 16/9/2013 by mcerd1]

-

jacko

posted on 16/9/13 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Im betting its the air correction holes some carbs like them blocked and some don't
jacko

posted on 16/9/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Im betting its the air correction holes some carbs like them blocked and some don't

And the main jets do need to be bigger i would say 1.60 - 1.7 mm

RobBrown

posted on 16/9/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just drilled them out. they were closed off with solder or aluweld or something, so needed drilling. I was careful as I didn't know how far to go.

All the brass inserts came out cleanly but the bottoms are all shot. Can I get replacements for these? Or can I run without the insert. I notice that they are not displayed on the standard Carb schematic and parts list.

I suspect that without the insert there will now be too much air getting in.

I work near a Yamaha dealer, so will pop in there tomorrow to try my luck.

RobBrown

posted on 18/9/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Update...

Fuel drained, old fuel in tintop, new fuel bought
Filters cleaned
Carbs striped down cleaned and put back together carefully
replacement idle screw rubber washers fitted (splits in 2 of the 4)
air correction unblocked
165 main jets fitted
needle clip on middle setting
screws turned out a variety of settings, initially 2, then back to half, then 3 then 4.

but still wouldn't start, even had trouble coaxing it to start on the choke

plugs wet

but... will start with a squirt of carb cleaner down each carb and will then run, but as soon as I try and go back to idle again it dies.

Still convinced that the 165 jets are too big I can smell the fuel coming out of the exhaust, but not had the AFR on it at this stage to check.

So it must still be to do with not getting the idle\pilot circuit mixture right to allow it to start.

Interestingly can't get the carbtune synchroniser to register any readings, from the new adaptors fitted to the manifold (might be a leak in the tubes, although sucking hard seems to do the trick (Oo-er))

Engine seems to be blowing back through carbs at idle ( I would naturally expect it to be sucking the same as it does at higher RPM)?

I've got bigger pilot jets to fit, which I could try (17.5), but not convinced at this stage that it's going to make any difference

Any suggestions gratefully received at this stage

jacko

posted on 18/9/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
My carbs spit back until the engine is hot
I don't need to use the choke to start mine
you could try dropping the main needle to the lowest on the clip
If all this dose not work i would give Bogg Brothers a phone call they are experts on r1 carbs
All this is i can think off
It looks like someone has played with the carbs before you got them if the air holes where already blocked
Jacko

[Edited on 18/9/13 by jacko]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.