Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fencing on Steep Slope
daveb666

posted on 16/6/14 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Fencing on Steep Slope

My rear garden effectively mounts to a very steep slope. Over the last year or two I've successfully fenced off the entire garden (up a hill and then several straight fences) but I'm stuck with the last bit;

The slope is very steep, probably over 45 degrees - but the fence needs to run across the length of the slope from one side to another rather than up/down it.

The posts will be timber and the fencing itself either featherboard/pailing which I will do myself, my quandry is how to mount the posts sufficiently so that they are secure.

The fence height above ground will be approximately 2.5m (so fairly high) and the area gets a bit of stick from wind etc. I was initially intending to dig down c.1m and use postcrete to mount the metal 'stake' type posts (that way I get the benefit of both the stake and the postcrete).

...unfortunately due to 'aesthetic requirements' given by the wife, the concrete/fixings shouldn't be visible so it's not like I could build a mounting base for each post.

There will only be 3 posts.

I welcome ideas... I've googled but everything about fence building on slopes is about going up/down them.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 16/6/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Full concrete posts, but secure the fence to the inside face of the posts so they cant be seen.

Mistral Motorsport

daveb666

posted on 16/6/14 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
But how do I secure the concrete posts into the ground, and concrete posts would need even more foundations than timber ones.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

mcerd1

posted on 16/6/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
get really long posts (or long metal bits on the bottom of the posts) and burry the whole foundation underground ?

-

02GF74

posted on 16/6/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Side way view, if I understand your problem correctly.

Either bury something in the ground - concrete post, metal etc and bolt a post to it (as shown in blue) or have a supports, (as in red), assuming the supports cannot go on the other side to be out of view, they could be made in to a feature.

Although I have erected one fence, not on a slope, I am not a fencer so have no idea of either of these will work for you!

[Edited on 16/6/14 by 02GF74]

daveb666

posted on 16/6/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Your photo shows the problem I have but unfortunately I don't know whether either solution would work.

The red idea would be my preference but would intrude into the garden itself. The blue idea I would struggle with due to the gradient of the balcony itself.

I'll get a few photos tonight. Thanks for taking the time to reply though, any ideas are a help

loggyboy

posted on 16/6/14 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
You dont need more/larger foundations, just ones that start deeper, and longer posts.

[Edited on 16-6-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 16/6/14 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Like this?

Will result with a little more dig out, but thats the nature of the slope!

Mistral Motorsport

geoff shep

posted on 16/6/14 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
What's the other side of the fence - can you have the support struts on the far side?

When you say only 3 posts - does that include the corners? i.e. Is the fence 2 panels or 4?

jacko

posted on 16/6/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Like this?

Will result with a little more dig out, but thats the nature of the slope!

This is how i would do it like the one on the right
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmac

posted on 16/6/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect you will need some sort of bracing on a fence that tall and subject to wind loads, can you turn the bracing into something attractive like a bench seat?

Duncan

loggyboy

posted on 16/6/14 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
I would expect you will need some sort of bracing on a fence that tall and subject to wind loads, can you turn the bracing into something attractive like a bench seat?

Duncan

Or a planter.

Mistral Motorsport

Angel Acevedo

posted on 16/6/14 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Could you do the Anchors at an angle, say 135° and bury them Perpendicular to Slope,
Can´t attach pic, but will be glad to e-mail Paint Cad Drawing...
Anchors made of Rebar and Concrete with Brackets made of steel.

Bolts to affix Posts to Brackets.

HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.