Motorhome wanted

Coach built Motorhome possibly wanted 4berth minimum 1995 onwards
Please u2u if you know of anything.

[Edited on 19/7/14 by CRAIGR]

owelly

posted on 19/7/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
What budget? What sort of usage?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 19/7/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Family holidays + towing kit to track days. So side awning ,heating ,bike rack, tow bar etc
owelly

posted on 19/7/14 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
As I suspected! Many coach-built MHs can't legally tow. Many do and you can buy towbars but make sure they are type approved for that type of vehicle. It's mainly the big MHs that have the body built beyond the end of the chassis that cause problems.
Another consideration is the GVW and GTW. I looked at a Peugeot Boxer based MH and the curbweight was only 175kg short of the GVW!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 19/7/14 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good point well made Owelly
jwallbank

posted on 19/7/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Motorhome wanted

Sorry to disagree owelly, but most motorhomes can tow quite legally. I have been towing race cars with a motorhome now for over 15 years and towed many thousands of miles across the UK. The 5 motorhomes I have had, plus many that I have researched, have all been able to tow legally.

OK, you have to be aware of the weight limits, especially rear axle, but all of mine have been capable of towing between 1400kg to 2000kg and with a suitable payload. Sure, you have to be very careful with the payload but plenty of them out there are quite suitable but you do need to check the weight plates. All mine have been Fiat based with even the smallest 4 berth at 18ft 6in long was capable of towing 1400kg with a 2.5l diesel. Don't even think about the 1.9l Peugeots they not really up to it. Go for the bigger Fiat chassis if you can - much more capable. The Fiat 2.3l engines are excellent at towing, my current 3l even better. Since you are looking a 4 plus berths you're not looking at something small and it should be more than capable of towing. Keep away from the FWD Transits as these are only plated by Ford for 1000kg, RWD Transits twin wheelers are fine, usually 2000kg. Many of the larger (not USA RV's) with a tag axle do have restrictions, usually 1000kg. They have a better payload due to the tag axle but they are restrained by the GVW which is not increased. Of the European ones, the Rimors seem to have a very good payload. If you can find one on an Iveco, these are usually excellent on towing and payload. If not the Fiat Maxi chassis is more than capable.

Bear in mind that if you are towing a seven style car and being very generous its unlikely to be more than 750kg. Add the weight of a lightweight trailer at 250 or worst case 300kg you have plenty of trailer payload left. In fact this will help your motorhome payload 'cause you can put stuff on the trailer, eg spares, tyres, bikes, awning, generator, BBQ etc and still be well within the payload (if you load it sensibly of course).

With regards to towing brackets you only need a type approved one since April 2012, anything before then doesn't need one although I think Swift started fitting type approved ones voluntarily from 2006. From a dealer, expect to pay £500 for a non type-approved or double that and more for type-approved so if you can get one with a towbar already fitted it can save you a lot.

Happy motorhome hunting,

John W

Correction, para 2 - it should be GTW not GVW regarding tag axles.

[Edited on 20/7/14 by jwallbank]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.