Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: stoneleigh car sale
CosKev3

posted on 5/5/15 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
So you've got 9k now ready to spend?

That's a good amount and unless you go stupid with wanting all the high end parts/big branded parts you should be able to build one for that amount imo, obv if you go Busa/engine that needs dry sump set up you would struggle on 9k.

Also your still going to be earning money whilst you build so will have more to spend during build?

kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

That's a good amount and unless you go stupid with wanting all the high end parts/big branded parts you should be able to build one for that amount imo, obv if you go Busa/engine that needs dry sump set up you would struggle on 9k.

Also your still going to be earning money whilst you build so will have more to spend during build?

No I have a wife and she demands i spend no more than 9k

She'll deals with all our money so I can't even get away with some snidy spending either.

CosKev3

posted on 5/5/15 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kentmagpie
quote:

She'll deals with all our money so I can't even get away with some snidy spending either.

oh dear, big mistake letting her take control of your money!!!!!

kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

oh dear, big mistake letting her take control of your money!!!!!

I know mate but it happened when we were younger and at the time I thought it was less poo for me to worry about but now I realise what a catastrophic mistake it was. Oh well can still buy a nice though

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/5/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Unless somebody cam tell me a genius way of building or engine swapping an r1 big bang for less than 9k?

Just reverse engineer the problem.

You know you total budgt is £9000 (9K)

Ring AB Performance/Yorkshire Engines/Other Engine Supplier and find out how much they would charge to supply and fit a Flat plain R1 Engine. (R1)

Find out how much various BEC engines sell for second hand (BEC2)

The 9K - R1 + BEC2 = How much you can spend on a running car to convert.

For example.

The R1 conversion maybe costs £4000 (guess) and you may spot an MK with an early R1 and work out that early R1's sell for £750 (guess)

So £9000 - £4000 + £750 = £5750 so if you can get the car for £5750 you can have the car you want for £9000

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:

Unless somebody cam tell me a genius way of building or engine swapping an r1 big bang for less than 9k?

Just reverse engineer the problem.

You know you total budgt is £9000 (9K)

Ring AB Performance/Yorkshire Engines/Other Engine Supplier and find out how much they would charge to supply and fit a Flat plain R1 Engine. (R1)

Find out how much various BEC engines sell for second hand (BEC2)

The 9K - R1 + BEC2 = How much you can spend on a running car to convert.

For example.

The R1 conversion maybe costs £4000 (guess) and you may spot an MK with an early R1 and work out that early R1's sell for £750 (guess)

So £9000 - £4000 + £750 = £5750 so if you can get the car for £5750 you can have the car you want for £9000

Good thinking batman. There are a few cheapie about the only problem is the late engines are quite expensive.

kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just got off the phone to malc at Yorkshire Engines and for a low mileage 14b engine with everything needed to drop in a car apart from clocks/dash, 2k. Knew they weren't cheap
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/5/15 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just got off the phone to malc at Yorkshire Engines and for a low mileage 14b engine with everything needed to drop in a car apart from clocks/dash, 2k. Knew they weren't cheap

Thats cheaper than I thought, so if you budgeted another £1000 (generous) for other bits and bobs you want and then say you get £750 for selling the engine the car comes with thats a budget of £6750 to buy a running BEC. You can easily find one for that.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Thats cheaper than I thought, so if you budgeted another £1000 (generous) for other bits and bobs you want and then say you get £750 for selling the engine the car comes with thats a budget of £6750 to buy a running BEC. You can easily find one for that.

surely more than a thousand pounds will be needed to convert an early r1 to a late r1??? Props, exhaust, fuelling, dash and mountings are the first things that spring to mind. But ive never carried out an enigine conversion so wouldn't know.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
When I read "everything to drop in" I thought it meant everything. Even if you budget a £2k to complete to conversion thats still £5750 to find a BEC, something with an early R1, 919 or ZZR should be within that range.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
When I read "everything to drop in" I thought it meant everything. Even if you budget a £2k to complete to conversion thats still £5750 to find a BEC, something with an early R1, 919 or ZZR should be within that range.

yeah sorry I meant in terms of engine. obviously some people sell bare engines. I meant in terms of wiring harness, ecu etc.

my bad

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK-Indy-Fireblade-7-Seven-Locost-/301593208173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46385b256d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk-indy-blade-2005-honda-fireblade-bike-engine-BEC-/331544430238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d3196869e

couple of cheap indys for sale

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Barter one of those down to £6k, spend £2k on your engine and flog the Fireblade with all of its bits for maybe £500 leaving you £1500 to do the rest of the conversion.

Job done!

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

CosKev3

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly worth a call to MK and get there opinion on the big bang engine, and see if they have the jigs for a cradle etc.
Not the end of the world if they don't, but more work to make one up from scratch.
If you buy a BEC chances are the prop will only need slight modification to alter length, or you could possibly mount the engine to match your propshaft if it doesn't mess up exhaust manifold clearance etc.

One thing I would find out for sure, can you run a big bang engine on aftermarket airfilters/ditch the airbox?
As the size of the airbox sticking out of the bonnet on the one on youtube looks awful

kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Possibly worth a call to MK and get there opinion on the big bang engine, and see if they have the jigs for a cradle etc.
Not the end of the world if they don't, but more work to make one up from scratch.
If you buy a BEC chances are the prop will only need slight modification to alter length, or you could possibly mount the engine to match your propshaft if it doesn't mess up exhaust manifold clearance etc.

One thing I would find out for sure, can you run a big bang engine on aftermarket airfilters/ditch the airbox?
As the size of the airbox sticking out of the bonnet on the one on youtube looks awful

I have seen this and know what u mean. it literally looks like an elephants arse sticking out the bonnet. Im not sure whether that's cos its a tall engine or they had to stick to standard setup.

kentmagpie

posted on 5/5/15 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Barter one of those down to £6k, spend £2k on your engine and flog the Fireblade with all of its bits for maybe £500 leaving you £1500 to do the rest of the conversion.

Job done!

U boys are proper geeing me up love it

CosKev3

posted on 5/5/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
elephants arse sums it up nicely!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.