Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine very hot
belgian2b

posted on 7/6/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
engine very hot

Hello,

i build my Tiger Cat E1 with a 2.0 EFI SOHC engine.
Everything is standard, except air inlet and exhaust. ECu is the original one.

When the car is runing , the engine is very hot ( usually around 90-100 °C on the tiger temperature gauge)
it is so hot , that the tunnel is getting so hot that is it hard to touch it with hand.
So hot that some gears get difficult to pass ( 1 and 2)

So today, i took a spark plug out and it looks quite strange.
here is a picture :

so , what do you think ?

Gerardo

britishtrident

posted on 7/6/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
90 to 91c s the normal running temperature for an engine with an 88c thermostat, In modern tintops the temperature gauge will remain centred on "N" between 75 and 105c. Also normally electric fans don't switch in to between until 95 to 97c. and switch off at about 95 to 92c.

Of course other issues could be involved such as a lack of bypass flow in the cooling system, if this is the case try drilling a couple of small holes in the thermostat.

Excess heat rejected to the cooling and/or exhaust can get often be caused by the ignition timing being too retarded, I would check this first before suspecting a weak mixture.

[Edited on 7/6/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snapper

posted on 8/6/15 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
The plug has virtually no colour
Check if all plugs look the same
Check if your running lean on all 4 or just that one

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MikeRJ

posted on 8/6/15 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Fairly normal for the tunnel to get hot on a '7' since there's not many places the hot air from the engine bay can escape, the tunnel being one of them.

Consider adding some vents to the sides of the engine bay and bonnet if you don't already have any.

The plug looks pretty normal IMO, I've seen lots of spark plugs that show that distinct boundary between white/tan caused by the shape of the flame front in the combustion chamber. It's more prevalent on 2v engines.

MP3C

posted on 8/6/15 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Had similar problem in my E1, I changed the thermostat to an 82 degree one from burtonpower which lowered the temperature and also cut some holes in the bonnet which seemed to work.

Regarding the gear changes, the clutch cable goes between the exhausts from the engine and in my case got really hot and somehow stopped working properly which gave my a hard time getting it into first gear. I changed the clutch cable, wrapped the exhausts in a volcanic titanium wrap and also but a heat reflective tube on the clutch cable to try and reduce the heat exposure and it works fine now. I also increased the the radius of the original sierra clutch pedal mechanism so the when the clutch was depressed it pulled more and disengaged the clutch better. Might be unrelated but when you put the kit car in reverse after its hot, if it clunks or grinds in then it is the same problem as I had which the clutch wasn't disengaging properly, mine was due to the heat damaged clutch cable.

Matt

belgian2b

posted on 8/6/15 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replys.

I wanted to give a look at the other spark plugs today, but i messed it.
Spark plug number 1 and 3 do not want to come out, and i broke the procelain on number 3.

I will give it another try later.

Gerardo

britishtrident

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Thanks for your replys.

I wanted to give a look at the other spark plugs today, but i messed it.
Spark plug number 1 and 3 do not want to come out, and i broke the procelain on number 3.

I will give it another try later.

Gerardo

If you have a a spark plug socket with a rubber insert pull it out a throw it in the trash, or you will end up breaking more plugs.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 9/6/15 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Fairly normal for the tunnel to get hot on a '7' since there's not many places the hot air from the engine bay can escape, the tunnel being one of them.

Consider adding some vents to the sides of the engine bay and bonnet if you don't already have any.

The plug looks pretty normal IMO, I've seen lots of spark plugs that show that distinct boundary between white/tan caused by the shape of the flame front in the combustion chamber. It's more prevalent on 2v engines.

Yes modern fuels leave very little deposits on the nose of the spark plug.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.