Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T: LED ceiling lights for bathroom
James

posted on 18/6/15 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
O/T: LED ceiling lights for bathroom

Greetings,

Complete bathroom renovation in progress.

We'd like to fit LED ceiling light units in there.

Any advice/recommendations?

Amongst other things I'm not sure whether to go GU10 fitting or fixed types which as far as I can tell last longer but you bin the whole unit when it fails.

The Halers are 3x the prices of LEDLite... are they worth it?

Any other viable options?

Thanks!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

McLannahan

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have GU10 LED down lighters with standard replaceable bulbs and they've been fine. I bought my bulbs from eBay nothing too fancy but not the cheap ones. Have tried a few of the really cheap bulbs (I even bought some from Poundland) but the warm white has generally been too blue and they've failed within a few months. Bought a set of four from EBay for about £12 and they're a good colour and have lasted really well. The two over the bath area have an additional lens to help with moisture the other two are just the standard lights with no lens at all.
SteveWalker

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 240V GU10s in the second toilet and 12V MR16s in the bathroom, plus more GU10s in the kitchen. I'd personally go for replaceable lamps, but I've never tried the fixed ones - what are the chances of still being able to buy a matching one if one of the set fail in a few years?

The kitchen ones are poor, but they are early ones and a bit too dim. The others are good and bright and reliable so far.

12V MR16s can be used with a SELV PSU and can therefore go directly over a bath or in a shower enclosure with no cover (we have one in the centre of an extractor fan intake), but there is one gotcha with the MR16s - with seven of them, I had the choice of one 12V PSU per pair or triplet or one larger one for the lot. I went for the latter and despite the total load of the seven leds being in the specified load range, the whole lot flashed on and off about once a second. I'd heard of the problem and putting one halogen in with six leds works perfectly. Alternatively an old fashioned transformer PSU would have worked instead of the cheap, but efficient, switched-mode ones that are almost universal now.

[Edited on 18/6/15 by SteveWalker]

JoelP

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Read up on bathroom zones before selecting your lights. They might need to be waterproof.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have just used bathroom (waterproof) downlighters with replaceable bulbs. After trying a few chep bulbs (smd GU10's) I eventually bought a job lot of 24 philips ones (actually a bargain at £75) which is enough to do our kitchen and bathrooms. They seem to be just better quality, and so far no failures.

The downlighters are about £8 a piece......fire rated too (a wise choice for a small amount extra)

daniel mason

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
James. Haler h2 pro without doubt. Fully guaranteed for 7 yeas I think. Very nice,bright,and low wattage. Dimable too.
I can supply you them if you want and will get massive discount from my wholesaler!

daniel mason

posted on 18/6/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Also never put an exposed lamp above a shower cubicle.even if 12v !
The heat generated along with the water is not a good mix

SteveWalker

posted on 18/6/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Also never put an exposed lamp above a shower cubicle.even if 12v !
The heat generated along with the water is not a good mix

Many of the 12V shower lights are designed this way. The led lamps don't get anywhere near as hot as halogens on the front.

daniel mason

posted on 18/6/15 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
No,I was referring to a standard mr16 lamp.they get very hot!
We fit a lot of the haler h2 pro and they are very good

stevebubs

posted on 18/6/15 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Useful...

http://www.universal-lighting.co.uk/buying-guides/bathroom-light-zones

Phil.J

posted on 19/6/15 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just a note, when I fitted LED lights in our bathroom the transistor radio I listen to when in the shower would no longer work, yhe signal is drowned out with noise.
James

posted on 19/6/15 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses folks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

lsdweb

posted on 23/6/15 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Zones aside, have a look at Screwfix for GU10 LED replacement lamps. They have special offers on regularly for the multipacks and come with a three year guarantee. We have three properties with a lot of GU10s (2 flats, each with over 20 downlights) and I've replaced them all with the Screwfix (Electrafix for me) lamps without problems.

Regards

Wyn

Screwfix LAP LEDS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.