Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil pickup question.
Nickp

posted on 19/7/15 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Oil pickup question.

Ok, so I've chopped my sump to the level I want and it's currently sat 40mm below bottom rails. The bottom of the oil pickup would normally sit about 10mm above the base of the sump but is now too low following the chop. I chopped off the outer 'can' which revealed the perforated cone you see in the first pic. This will sit just above the sump base, virtually touching. I was thinking of reinstating the 'can' but leave the bottom off just leaving it open and with about 10mm clearance to the sump. This'll do away with base with the hole in. Any reason why this would affect how the oil pump 'draws'? I don't think so but just thought I'd ask.

BTW It's not an option to leave the 'can' intact and just move it up, there isn't any space.

Nickp

posted on 19/7/15 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, and what can I use for a sump bung as the old one's now gone?
I'm thinking a threaded steel insert that'll bolt through the ally maybe?

Nickp

posted on 19/7/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Or a weld on boss like this?

3/8"' BSP Female Aluminium Weld On Fitting Ideal for Dry Sump Tank etc

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 19/7/15 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Provided that the entire can is still submerged in oil I can't see that it would be an issue- however if even one edge of that can becomes exposed to air you'll lose suction. I guess having the small hole minimises that risk? You could always have a sub sump for the pickup I guess

As for the bung, assuming you're going to plate the bottom of the sump with aluminium I'd go with the weld in bung.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Nickp

posted on 20/7/15 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Provided that the entire can is still submerged in oil I can't see that it would be an issue- however if even one edge of that can becomes exposed to air you'll lose suction. I guess having the small hole minimises that risk? You could always have a sub sump for the pickup I guess

As for the bung, assuming you're going to plate the bottom of the sump with aluminium I'd go with the weld in bung.

Cheers. Yeah I think I'll poke the perforated cone just out of the bottom of the can, keeping the can as close to the base of the sump as I dare (5-10mm).

Nickp

posted on 24/7/15 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sump's back from its 1st stage of welding-

Plate welded on to cover where I had to chop off part of the 'wing' to clear the chassis tube-

Compartment added to gain some capacity back-

Just need to make a new base for it it and decide on the best place for the sump bung-

Not sure what the capacity will be until it's finished, but either way I'll probably have to add a cooler at some point.

Stot

posted on 24/7/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
That extra compartment area will want a hole in the bottom (as you look at it in that pic) as well as those ones you drilled in the side of the old sump edge otherwise oil will get to the top of the holes and it will air lock and not fill any further. I did the same thing on an MX5 sump.

Cheers
Stot

Nickp

posted on 24/7/15 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stot
That extra compartment area will want a hole in the bottom (as you look at it in that pic) as well as those ones you drilled in the side of the old sump edge otherwise oil will get to the top of the holes and it will air lock and not fill any further. I did the same thing on an MX5 sump.

Cheers
Stot

Ta, already thought of that and there's a matching set of holes in the roof of the compartment

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.