Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stylus for sale
J-16

posted on 20/11/15 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Stylus for sale

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows this car: http://www.boxfastclassics.co.uk/#!1998-sylva-stylus-v8/cdo8?

Some details in the advert are a bit vague regarding the current spec. I've been trying to get hold of one of the previous owners to clarify a couple of points but have had no response.

Thanks,

James

Toys2

posted on 20/11/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
In case you hadn't seen, it's also on ebay, there's a photo of a magazine article featuring this car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-SYLVA-STYLUS-3-5-V8-FISHER-FURY-CATERHAM-WESTFIELD-GINETTA-/231743166688?hash=item35f4f818e0:g:cSwAAOSw14xWO5bQ

Antnicuk

posted on 20/11/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
This is a nice car, it was owned by a Stylus forum member. It was on ebay about 3 weeks ago for £4750, i wanted to see it but the very honest seller said someone had already arranged to see it the following week and he would honour them seeing it first despite me saying i would pay the full asking price in cash and collect the next day. I told him he had put it up too cheaply.

He kindly contacted me on the day the person came to view it to tell me they had bought it, no surprise at that price. 3 days later it was on this ebay for £8k and on this and other sites. they certainly got a bargain, have obviously done nothing to it and will make a tidy profit no doubt!

1998 SYLVA STYLUS 3.5 V8 , FISHER FURY , CATERHAM , WESTFIELD , GINETTA

[Edited on 20-11-15 by Antnicuk]

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

J-16

posted on 20/11/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
This is a nice car, it was owned by a Stylus forum member. It was on ebay about 3 weeks ago for £4750, i wanted to see it but the very honest seller said someone had already arranged to see it the following week and he would honour them seeing it first despite me saying i would pay the full asking price in cash and collect the next day. I told him he had put it up too cheaply.

He kindly contacted me on the day the person came to view it to tell me they had bought it, no surprise at that price. 3 days later it was on this ebay for £8k and on this and other sites. they certainly got a bargain, have obviously done nothing to it and will make a tidy profit no doubt!

Yeah agreed, crazy cheap. Makes you wonder if they're anything wrong with it.

Can't believe I missed this, have been looking for 18months and this sold while I was on holiday!

[Edited on 20/11/15 by J-16]

J-16

posted on 20/11/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
In case you hadn't seen, it's also on ebay, there's a photo of a magazine article featuring this car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-SYLVA-STYLUS-3-5-V8-FISHER-FURY-CATERHAM-WESTFIELD-GINETTA-/231743166688?hash=item35f4f818e0:g:cSwAAOSw14xWO5bQ

Yeah cheers seen that article, unfortunately it's now 17 years old. Trying to find some recent spec on the engine as have read conflicting info.

Antnicuk

posted on 20/11/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
i was willing to pay the asking price based on what i saw in the pictures. I loved my stylus. The worst thing that could be wrong was the engine is knackered which i would ripping out and using as a coffee table so that wouldnt have bothered me.

I was looking everyday and still managed to get beaten to it

J-16

posted on 20/11/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I might still be tempted at around this price with some negotiation but would need confirmation of the more recent engine work? Do you happen to remember the name of the last seller?
Antnicuk

posted on 20/11/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/11/15 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Love the juxtaposition of the two cars on that front cover.... the 'new model' I've always thought was the obvious product of a designer's experimentation with mind altering substances. The V8 looks lovely though, a personal thing I know.
alfas

posted on 21/11/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
is there the original link available where it was advertized and sold for 4750?

4750 was mabye a bit on the lower side, but definately not cheap.

~8k from that dealer is far overpriced!!!
in that price range a detailed enginebay and a spot-on, as new and clean chassis would be a must!!

J-16

posted on 21/11/15 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
is there the original link available where it was advertized and sold for 4750?

4750 was mabye a bit on the lower side, but definately not cheap.

~8k from that dealer is far overpriced!!!
in that price range a detailed enginebay and a spot-on, as new and clean chassis would be a must!!

No, all original adverts have been removed.

I agree 8k is too high, I value it at about £6250 based on the photos and spec.

I would want recent rolling figures on top of what you mention to think about spending 8k.

alfas

posted on 21/11/15 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
kitcar season is finished, winter is arriving, 2nd hand kitcar market is down anyway....export not attractive due to very bad pound-euro exchange rate, the reg.date (emissions)will not attract foreign buyers neither.

so not the best chances selling a car at the moment as long as its not cheap.

[Edited on 21/11/15 by alfas]

StevieB

posted on 21/11/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think that's the same dealer who sold my Westfield on an agency basis (not entirely sure though). In fairness, he sold it mid January and got me the full asking price I wanted (plus his commission on top) and did it mid January.

Assuming it's who I think it is, he was a decent guy and the sale was a good experience (would definitely use him again). It might be expensive to the users on this forum where we likely look at everything as a project to be improved, but i don't doubt he'll find a buyer.

[Edited on 21/11/15 by StevieB]

plus2s

posted on 22/11/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I went to see it a week or so ago, looks pretty good, and starts on the button. and sounds amazing
The guys there always have some interesting stuff.

CosKev3

posted on 22/11/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J-16
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk

Yeah agreed, crazy cheap. Makes you wonder if they're anything wrong with it.

Can't believe I missed this, have been looking for 18months and this sold while I was on holiday!

[Edited on 20/11/15 by J-16]

There is a stylus on ebay now with a XE engine in it

CosKev3

posted on 22/11/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
1997 Sylva Stylus 2.0 Vauxhall Red Top 16V like Fisher Fury Phoenix Westfield
J-16

posted on 22/11/15 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
1997 Sylva Stylus 2.0 Vauxhall Red Top 16V like Fisher Fury Phoenix Westfield

Thanks, I spotted that

J-16

posted on 23/11/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plus2s
I went to see it a week or so ago, looks pretty good, and starts on the button. and sounds amazing

Hi - sent you a PM

alfas

posted on 23/11/15 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plus2s

"looks pretty good" is not enough for a 8K car, imo.

the vauxhall xe powered ebay one:

the car is from 1997....but reading this, the car was never set-up properly:

"Carbs need tuning. I've set them up as best as I'm able, but the idle speed is a bit too high (1500rpm) and they're slightly lumpy at tick-over. At high revs it pulls your face off, so this is a tweaking issue of the idle jet circuit for a carb expert. The ECU map could also be tweaked to improve this, but again I'm not an expert at this."

how a car can run through several owners without having important things being done properly? how can somebody own such a car without having the knowledge doing the basic things (e.g.: emerald“s software is available free of charge)

even the car looks ok, i would not have much confidence buying a vehicle which was not "developed to the end".

sure , finally all those issues are only a matter of the sales-price.

[Edited on 23/11/15 by alfas]

alfas

posted on 12/12/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
price drop:

https://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1486

but still faaaar away from the purchase price

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.