Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where have you put your kill switch?
james h

posted on 21/3/16 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Where have you put your kill switch?

Not sure where I want to put mine.

Thoughts so far are:

- RHS of the scuttle, ala Caterham.
- Dashboard (to the right or left of the steering column).
- Under the bonnet (battery tray area).

Any ideas?

foggy@smr

posted on 21/3/16 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
Put mine on the dash during the rebuild...

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

LBMEFM

posted on 21/3/16 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Put mine on the dash, easily accessible by me and anyone else should I have an accident. I take the key with me if the car is temporarily left outside too as an anti theft precaution, also stops the key itself being stolen. Stating the obvious make sure it is a kill switch and not just a battery isolating switch which will possible fry the the alternator if switched off when the engine is running.

[Edited on 21/3/16 by LBMEFM]

mark chandler

posted on 21/3/16 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Right hand side of the steering wheel, treat as the ignition key and remove the steering lock etc and have a button start.

If that's hard to reach when belted in put by the handbrake then run a couple of choke cables to either side of the roll cage and join to the switch.

loggyboy

posted on 21/3/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Unless u need one for regulatory purposes it seems pointless to me.

Mistral Motorsport

SJ

posted on 21/3/16 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's neatly placed on a shelf in the garage. Need to get round to fitting it at some point!
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/3/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'll assume that by Kill Switch you mean Battery Isolator. If you don't then ignore this:

Two different locations on several cars over the years, RHS scuttle or dashboard, both work well.

If purely for competition, then my preference would be on the scuttle, there's a convenient triangular space presented by most full cages. Several reasons, but it's easy access for all, even if you're upside down having driven over the bank at S. Walsh. I know this!

If on the road, then on the dashboard, 'passenger' side in the corner.

Why do it at all? Well, I've found it very useful to be able to isolate the battery when working on the car. The (small RT15) battery is normally located somewhere low down and hard to get to (leading edge of 'passenger' seat if applicable).

loggyboy

posted on 21/3/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
My concern for road cars is the comedy pedestrian who flicks the switch whilst you sit in traffic. I recall someone on here mentioning that happening to them.
For battery isolation when working on a car then a 'discarnect' or just disconnect the earth.

Mistral Motorsport

Bluemoon

posted on 21/3/16 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
My concern for road cars is the comedy pedestrian who flicks the switch whilst you sit in traffic. I recall someone on here mentioning that happening to them.
For battery isolation when working on a car then a 'discarnect' or just disconnect the earth.

Ditto.. 'discarnect' are cheap and easy to fit, could not see much point in the kill switch and you end up with more high current wiring, for a road car could not see the point...

Dan

Adamirish

posted on 21/3/16 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mines under the dash out of sight. A half decent security measure rather than for safety.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

perksy

posted on 21/3/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Always fit a decent quality one
Have seen a few folks chase high speed miss-fires and it ended up being the cut-out switch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.