Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car buyer Scammer
Dingz

posted on 3/10/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Car buyer Scammer

I'm trying to sell a car (MX5 if anyone is interested!) Ive had a text response from someone who says he can only communicate by email? Anyway he has sent this reply:-
'Thanks for the prompt response, Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra I am just asking about it to make sure its in perfect condition, Hope i will not be disappointed? and in regards to the delivery there is no shipment involved because i have a freight agent that will come for it. I can only pay you via paypal the fastest and secure way to pay online.

Kindly get back to me with your email linked with paypal or bank details i.e Account number, Sort code, Account name etc.. Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment today through PP'
Should I string them along, ask them for all their Bank account details, or just tell them to go away?

[Edited on 3/10/16 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Hammy360

posted on 3/10/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
I'm trying to sell a car (MX5 if anyone is interested!) Ive had a text response from someone who says he can only communicate by email? Anyway he has sent this reply:-
'Thanks for the prompt response, Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra I am just asking about it to make sure its in perfect condition, Hope i will not be disappointed? and in regards to the delivery there is no shipment involved because i have a freight agent that will come for it. I can only pay you via paypal the fastest and secure way to pay online.

Kindly get back to me with your email linked with paypal or bank details i.e Account number, Sort code, Account name etc.. Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment today through PP'
Should I string them along, ask them for all their Bank account details, or just tell them to go away?

[Edited on 3/10/16 by Dingz]

Mate, my day job is Cyber Security. Dont even respond!

Hammy

ianhurley20

posted on 3/10/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same message when I was selling my yacht, scammer - AVOID!

britishtrident

posted on 4/10/16 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Even the style of english used rings all the major alarm bells.
The biggest give aways for spotting scammers apart from asking for bank detailsis the unatural style of english used and more often than not the fake names they choose.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 4/10/16 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I would have deleted anything and everything from such a response, without too much thought.
FuryRebuild

posted on 4/10/16 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I saw this article on the telegraph today

Eerie co-incidence.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

FuryRebuild

posted on 4/10/16 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I saw this article on the telegraph today

Eerie co-incidence.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Dingz

posted on 4/10/16 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I had realised it was a scam, but tempted to lead them on, but I'll just ignore them rather that poking them with a stick!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

scootz

posted on 4/10/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don't poke them with anything!

I did that once and it came back to bite me on the arse.

I called the scammer out, he then used ebay accounts he'd previously hacked into to 'buy' stuff I was selling and then left me negative feedback for each one (despite the transaction not actually happening!).

Took me ages to sort it all out!

It's Evolution Baby!

SteveWallace

posted on 4/10/16 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Admittedly the wording is really dodgy, but, just out of interest, how does the scam work if all you provide is your e-mail address so that he can pay you via Paypal? Surely that's a one way transaction whereby the money is transferred to your account and you don't release the vehicle until you see the money.

Maybe I'm missing something or just having a bad brain day?

benchmark51

posted on 4/10/16 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, I would hand it over to Ebay and see what they say. Would be good to take scammers down whenever possible. Computer hackers/scammers should get a minimum 10 years, they do so much damage.
LBMEFM

posted on 4/10/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Admittedly the wording is really dodgy, but, just out of interest, how does the scam work if all you provide is your e-mail address so that he can pay you via Paypal? Surely that's a one way transaction whereby the money is transferred to your account and you don't release the vehicle until you see the money.

Maybe I'm missing something or just having a bad brain day?

As above how does the scam work, when I send out invoices I have my name e mail address and bank details on them so that clients can pay me direct via a bank transfer. As Steve says you have still got the car and the bank transfer is one way.

SCAR

posted on 4/10/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Paypal payments are reversible
greed1

posted on 5/10/16 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
They don't even pay in to your PayPal they will set up an email that looks like you've got funds and maybe send you to a link to put your password in. If you didn't click the link and went to normal paypal you'd see no transaction for the car.

Drive it stright sideways

pekwah1

posted on 5/10/16 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
what if you give your bank details?
That's not reversible....

geoff shep

posted on 6/10/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Is the MX5 advertised anywhere please?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.