Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED headlamp bulbs
02GF74

posted on 15/1/17 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
LED headlamp bulbs

Anybody fitted LED headlamp bulbs? Looking to fit either the 80 or 100 W version, as In photo below, to Volvo 8950 headlamps.

Will the give correct beam pattern, what about legality of the higher wattage bulbs, I think standard H1 are 55W.

BenB

posted on 15/1/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at this before and it appeared at least at that point you couldn't get the correct pattern with these retrofit units. You can get proper LED replacement lamp/bulb units but most of the forum users saying how great their LED bulbs were were also having to replace normal bulbs for MOT..... Which does make you wonder how "great" other road users thought they were... I ended up deciding not to bother...
Mikef

posted on 15/1/17 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Went down this road a few weeks ago decided that it was a bit of a minefield re legality issues, so have gone for some Osram Night breakers . Most impressed.
coyoteboy

posted on 15/1/17 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
LED and HID retrofits are illegal unfortunately. You can get lamps that don't create glare but the vast majority will. You will have to replace both for MOT , on paper at least.

All the comparisons I saw online show the led lamps a bit poorer than decent incandescent bulbs and both are dwarfed by 4300K HID retrofits.

I've tried them all but only a properly shielded HID will not end up with people flashing you left right and centre.

CosKev3

posted on 15/1/17 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I tried some H4 LED bulbs in my dominators and to look at they were a lovely bright white,but the light that you get on the road for you to see things was awful,really bad
WesBrooks

posted on 16/1/17 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Spent months trying to figure out what lights I wanted on the 4x4 project. Light units are e-marked for use with a specific type of bulb. Swap this out and the e-mark no longer applies and therefore without the user personally going through all the testing then it won't be road legal as compliance with the regs can't be proven.

There are some LED light units (as in the whole unit inc reflector and lens) that are road legal but if the output is beyond a specific limit then you need washers, and either automatically levelling suspension or headlights. There is one or two exceptions to the latter (think it was Subaru) but generally speaking unless there is a OEM equivalent of your car with the HID lights you're unlikely to be able to use them legally even with these boxes ticked.

All that said the big one for me was the problems the LED units have with snow and ice. Halogens kick out a lot of heat and this can help to keep the lens clear of snow and ice, which can accumulate while driving. With LED lights they do kick out heat, but it tends to be on the base and back through eh PCB/electronics. Beam patterns can be knackered by a good frost, or completely blocked by snow leaving you either invisible or immobile. Trucklite think enough of this problem to add heating elements to their lenses for the defence spec lights, but alas last time I looked don't do UK pattern lights.

On a similar note there are a few people struggling with compensation/refund/guarantee claims for LED tail/signal/etc lights. Some manufactures/suppliers are saying that the lack of bulb means there is little to no heat to evaporate the water. I've gone LED for all other than the head lights and so am hoping I don't suffer this!

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

BenB

posted on 16/1/17 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, sometimes all the wasted energy is useful. At home I've converted most of the lights to LED. I wondered about converting the oven lamp to LED until someone pointed out the wasted energy is heat which would be needed to created somehow in the oven anyway
aardvark101

posted on 19/1/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
This thread has answered my question before i asked it, brilliant

As an aside, can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality LED bulbs for brake, turn etc, as i do not
fancy any of the Chinese takeaway jobbies off of the bay of doom.

cheers Paul

WesBrooks

posted on 23/1/17 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure where these are made but they are e-marked. I was looking at getting defender/mini style lights from here:

http://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/vehicle-components/land-rover-parts

I've noticed you can also get the Wipac versions from here:

https://www.paddockspares.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=wipac+LED

I can't vouch for either yet though as I'm still drafting my loom and waiting for a delayed bonus from work!

Edit: I can vouch for quick delivery from bowers though! Ordered some LED side markers from them and they arrived promptly.

[Edited on 23/1/17 by WesBrooks]

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.