Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Lamps and Gauges
Ron Lang

posted on 12/2/17 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Lamps and Gauges

Does anyone know what gauges/warning lamps etc are mandatory for the IVA. Trying to go for a very simple dash (and desperate to ditch the sierra stalks) and the car currently has individual gauges and warning lamps which is a nightmare to wire. Been through the guidance but, other than a lamp to indicate when the indicators are on and a speedo I could see what else is actually required. I'm not suggesting that's all I'll put in, just that I'm not sure some of the instruments I have currently are necessary.

[Edited on 12/2/17 by Ron Lang]

CosKev3

posted on 12/2/17 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo need a low brake fluid warning light,think you need a main beam warning light,Deffo need a rear fog light warning light (or tell tale on switch),fuel gauge,speedo,as you say indicator and also hazard warning light I think.
theduck

posted on 12/2/17 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Off the top of my head it's:

Dipped beam green
Full beam blue
Indicators green
Hazards red
low brake fluid red
Rear Fog light orange

Only gauges you have to have is speedo and odometer.

[Edited on 12/2/17 by theduck]

loggyboy

posted on 12/2/17 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Indicator warning isnt needed if you can see the indicators from drivers seated position.
colours aren't important providing its clear (ie symbols used or light is next to the associated switch, which in turn needs to be clear what it does.)

[Edited on 12-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Ron Lang

posted on 12/2/17 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, that's much clearer. I like the multi switch panels with all main functions on one board. Surprised how expensive switches are tbh. Tempted by an electronic dash but not sure if the cheaper ones are any good.

Also, CBS do some really good multi function stalks like this:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/heavy-indicator-dip-horn-stalk-assembly-500mm

But I haven't yet worked out if I could/how I'd fit this on the sierra column.

gremlin1234

posted on 12/2/17 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
as far as I can tell, you just need (on the dashboard)
speedo with back-light
beam
and fog

a little more detail below

lights on, is usually done by instrument lighting.
as loggyboy says don't need panel lights for indicator if you can see the 'front' ones.
hazards, as above, or if you have left and right indicators on the panel then both flashing together should suffice.
full beam usually blue
rear fog
brakes don't need a light if you can see the fluid level
quote:

16. It must be possible to check the fluid relative to the manufacturer’s specified minimum level on all brake fluid reservoirs by the actual fluid level being visible through a transparent section of the reservoir, with the minimum level marked permanently on to this section. As an alternative, a red warning lamp (see figure 1) must be capable of illuminating when the reservoir fluid falls to the minimum level.

+ speedo
can't see anything requiring odometer

loggyboy

posted on 12/2/17 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
brakes don't need a light if you can see the fluid level
quote:

16. It must be possible to check the fluid relative to the manufacturer’s specified minimum level on all brake fluid reservoirs by the actual fluid level being visible through a transparent section of the reservoir, with the minimum level marked permanently on to this section. As an alternative, a red warning lamp (see figure 1) must be capable of illuminating when the reservoir fluid falls to the minimum level.

That only satisfies the fluid level requirement. There is also a requirement to warn of hydraulic failure, which one way to achieve is to have a fluid level warning light. The other is have a hydraulic pressure sensor (which would still need a warning light) and is more complicated to implement)

[Edited on 12-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

posted on 13/2/17 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
As I understand it you need a hand brake "on" warning, and "low fluid level" warning.

This is done with just one light, allowing it to earth through the hand brake switch or / as well as
the float switch in the brake fluid reservoir, be it see through or not.

As for being able to see your indicators from the driving position then I can't do that, nor would I want to.
When driving at night your eyes would take several seconds to recover from the close proximity flashing of an indicator.
You can't see rear indicators anyway unless you have eyes up ....... perhaps we shouldn't go there.

A left and a right warning on the dash, with both flashing for hazards is the common and best way.
If a bulb blows they will flash at a different speed to warn you.

Paul G

[Edited on 13/2/17 by 907]

loggyboy

posted on 13/2/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
As I understand it you need a hand brake "on" warning, and "low fluid level" warning.

I don't believe the handbrake warning light is a requirement, but its common to use che combo of handbrake switch and a brake warning light as the handbrake warning, fluid level warning and the way to test light warning light.

[Edited on 13-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

gremlin1234

posted on 13/2/17 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy That only satisfies the fluid level requirement. There is also a requirement to warn of hydraulic failure, which one way to achieve is to have a fluid level warning light. The other is have a hydraulic pressure sensor (which would still need a warning light) and is more complicated to implement
you are indeed quite correct

quote:

19. The hydraulic system must be fitted with a red warning lamp, sensitive to line pressure and capable of signalling the failure of any part of the hydraulic system as soon as the brake is applied and remaining lit as long as the failure exists (with the ignition switched on). As an alternative, the warning lamp must be sensitive to the reservoir fluid level, providing the reservoir is directly connected to supply the pressure side of the master cylinder when the piston is in the “brakes off” position, so that a failure of either part of a split system would result in a continuous draining of the reservoir fluid when the control is released (see note 2 and 3).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.