Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ECU location
furryeggs

posted on 13/4/17 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
ECU location

Where have people put their ECU's. Under/behind the dash or in the engine bay? Engine bay would be easier for me as it'll mean i don't have to cut of and re attach plugs etc... but under the dash would be neater.

Any thoughts

CosKev3

posted on 13/4/17 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Is it waterproof is the main concern?
furryeggs

posted on 13/4/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Nope
tims31

posted on 13/4/17 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
Where have people put their ECU's. Under/behind the dash or in the engine bay? Engine bay would be easier for me as it'll mean i don't have to cut of and re attach plugs etc... but under the dash would be neater.

Any thoughts

Ran the loom along the bulkhead and seated mine on a small shelf to the right of the dash - Right hand side on this picture

Description
Description

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

r1_pete

posted on 13/4/17 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Inside the car away from weather and engine temperature is definately the better location.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peter030371

posted on 13/4/17 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is going in the engine bay as I simply have no room behind the dash in a Striker and also access to the serial port for tuning is limited when fitted behind the dash. Not my first choice but the only choice I have and it seems to work for other people.
pekwah1

posted on 13/4/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have a striker, i did find room behind the dash on the passenger side as per the following:

r1_pete

posted on 13/4/17 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is pretty inaccessible too, so I made up an extension for the serial port about 200mm ribbon cable, which is permanently attatched to the ecu, tucks away when not needed.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peter030371

posted on 13/4/17 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
I have a striker, i did find room behind the dash on the passenger side as per the following:

That's a 'classic' and mine is the 'new' scuttle design so a little different With the 'new' design you do get a bit more space but its all in the engine bay side really (I had a 'classic' shaped Striker before).

For reference maybe these help show why I have gone for the engine bay option

Dash layout, don't like the silly glove box as it takes up room and offers little if any practical storage space but its what the kit came with. Since this picture was taken I have added a USB charging point in the glove box for Tom Tom, phone etc plus a dash mounted USB output for direct connection to the Dash2Pro for setup and data logging download.
Dash layout
Dash layout

After much head scratching I made up a panel to go behind the dash and take the fuse boxes and relay box. I had to leave space in this plate for the handbrake lever and the silly glove box. I also added a earth bus bar as 99.9% of kit car wiring long term reliability is down to doggy earths. My last loom is now 20+ years old and has never had a problem (although admittedly was a lot simpler than this one).
Fuse and Relay layout
Fuse and Relay layout

It's not going to stay like this but with 95% of the loom test fitted it starts to look rather 'busy' in the space I do have
First wires in place
First wires in place

So the ECU has gone in the engine bay and is tucked under the fluid reservoirs with easy access to the serial port for tuning (in this picture connected to the Dash2Pro for logging of the engine data).
ECU location
ECU location

Maybe my situation is not helped by having a Dash2Pro with GPS and datalogging which I insisted had to link to the ECU to get its data. Plus a reasonably complicated to build and install (but easy to operate) 8 button steering wheel control system with an electrically connected quick release and an auto-cancel module for the indicators....as of last Tuesday night all 8 buttons are now connected and fully functional for the first time

The final thing that made my mind up about putting the ECU in the engine bay is that is what RAW have done with the Duratec/Omex demonstrator car they have. Still my second choice but it can work

Banana

posted on 13/4/17 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Passenger foot well for me. Along with the battery, hidden behind a footrest.
kingster996

posted on 13/4/17 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
The standard place on a westfield is under the scuttle, passenger side on a drop down tray for access.

Works well and keeps it dry.

Not sure I have a pic of mine, but if I find one, I'll post it up.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

kingster996

posted on 13/4/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go, just visible on the left

Description
Description

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.