Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre engaged starter motor
LBMEFM

posted on 19/4/17 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pre engaged starter motor

While waiting for the new bits for the MK to turn up I thought I would have a quick look at my 1980 Mini today which I bought some time ago for full restoration.

Someone has installed a 1300cc Metro engine in it which has a pre engaged starter motor. They have then twisted wires onto the starter via the original Mini solenoid. Am I right in thinking that the wire from the battery can now go straight onto the starter, the wire from the ignition starting position switch onto the large terminal and all other wiring and bypass the original Mini solenoid altogether.

Maybe someone could do a diagram if I've got it wrong. Thanks

MikeRJ

posted on 19/4/17 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing that complicates this is if you you have a ballast ignition system (quite likely if original). In this case the original solenoid will have an additional low current (blade type) connection that is used to supply the full battery voltage to the coil during starting. It's most unlikely the pre-engaged solenoid will have this connection, but it could be emulated using a relay whose coil is powered from the starter side of the pre-engaged solenoid.

Otherwise what you wrote sounds correct.

[Edited on 19/4/17 by MikeRJ]

LBMEFM

posted on 19/4/17 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.