Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you store all of your boxed tools
bi22le

posted on 30/8/17 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
How do you store all of your boxed tools

I'm rearranging my tiny garage and need inspiration.

How do you store all of your pre boxed tools. Things like:

Circular saw
SDS power drill
Dremel
Bits for Dremel
Battery drill
Router

I want them in their boxes as they have stuff with them but they are just stacked up under my bench. They are all different sizes so never stack right.

Thoughts?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ianhurley20

posted on 30/8/17 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha - exactly my problem. Loads of boxes taking loads of room. I eventually chose one big empty box and put all the extra bits from all the tools into that one box. All the power tools then went on the shelf and all the excess boxes went to the recycling yard. Brilliant. It's been about 4 years since I did it and its been a good solution for me. And - I can get more tools on the shelves!

bi22le

posted on 30/8/17 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Ha ha - exactly my problem. Loads of boxes taking loads of room. I eventually chose one big empty box and put all the extra bits from all the tools into that one box. All the power tools then went on the shelf and all the excess boxes went to the recycling yard. Brilliant. It's been about 4 years since I did it and its been a good solution for me. And - I can get more tools on the shelves!

I considered this. Especially as I have just cleared out an old tool box that I could rip out the old shelves making one large compartment for all the odds and ends.

What do you do about all of the cables, won't them around each tool?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ianhurley20

posted on 31/8/17 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
yes - the cables get wrapped around each tool. I have a shelf or two where each tool is placed so I can get at each without moving another (I don't do 3 deep) It still takes up room but an awful lot less than before and I don't have to lift out and open several boxes before finding the right tool. It surprises me how infrequently the box with ALL the bits in gets opened.
Works for me

Smoking Frog

posted on 31/8/17 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Filling cabinet works well if you have the room.
nick205

posted on 31/8/17 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Filling cabinet works well if you have the room.

Ditto!

I have a metal filing cabinet from work. Boxed tools are stored in a couple of drawers. Works well for me.

Larger tools (circular saw etc) have various locations in my shed. Usually depending on how much effort (or time) I make when putting them away.

Ad to that, some high up shelves is another option. Keeps the floor/workspace tidier and keeps said tools in their boxes as well.

[Edited on 31/8/17 by nick205]

Bluemoon

posted on 31/8/17 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what is wrong with a shelf?
jps

posted on 31/8/17 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to sort stuff out so it was easy to keep the place tidy- I made some shelves to fit Curver plastic crates (like Eurocrates) - then tried to group stuff together sensibly. So I have:

1 box for all the car parts which are reconditioned / ready to fit
1 for paint aerosols/tins/etc and paint prep items (scotchbrite / wet n dry sheets etc)
1 box with my drill (in its original case) and the different drill bit cases / etc
1 box with any 'fine work' stuff in - so measuring calipers/steel rule/scriber/etc - and my 'dremel' (in it's own box)

Then some shelves which would take a crate - but where I have an actual toolbox - which have the following in:
1 for all electrical work stuff (not well stocked yet - but reels of wires/wire stripper/electricians pliers /etc
1 with the angle grinder and all discs / flap wheel / etc
1 for 'hand tools'.

I also put a wooden back panel up behind my workbench and have some magnetic strips to take spanners / screws & nails to take hammers/adjustable spanners / etc

It's not ideal - but it helps that I don't have space to leave things lying about - so once they come out for a job they have to be chucked back into the appropriate box so I am not tripping over them.

Andybarbet

posted on 31/8/17 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up two of these metal office half height cabinets for free, perfect size for putting blow moulded drill, jigsaw cases etc in

All neat & packed away but convenient height too so I screwed old kitchen worktop on them as my work bench, it works a treat.

https://www.ezrshelving.com/low-office-cabinet.html

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Rod Ends

posted on 31/8/17 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe slightly OT, but Halfords are selling socket set cases and trays (NO sockets - just cases)

Seem to recall someone looking for one of these a while ago.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-boxes/halfords-advanced--120pc-blow-mould-case

Partofthechaos

posted on 1/9/17 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

What do you do about all of the cables, wind them around each tool?

Reusable cable ties are good for this. No distorted cables and they don't try to escape whenever you move the tool.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.