Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery charge/ignition light wiring with external voltage reg
birdii

posted on 28/11/17 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Battery charge/ignition light wiring with external voltage reg

Hi,
I'm having some trouble thinking of a way to connect my bright6 light module to my alternator/regulator arrangement.

The bright6 battery light illuminates at 0 volts. The instructions show that it should be connected to the Df connector on the alternator.

The problem is that I have used a 2CV alternator and regulator (my dad was into 2CV's and had a pile of spares so this was locost and compact!). The 2cv alternator only has 2 connections, battery and exciter. The regulator has 3 connections, earth, ignition live and exciter to the alternator.

I incorrectly connected the bright 6 to the exciter so when the ignition was on the light was off, at idle the light was off and with a few revs, the battery settles to 14v and the light starts blinking. I see now that this is exactly what should happen but obviously not what you want from a battery light.

So I cant see a way that I connect this to make it work properly. I wondered if someone with more electrical knowledge than me could think up a little circuit to fix the problem?

I remember now that the 2CV's didn't have a light either, dad fitted a little led indicator which changed colour with under or over volts made by brightspark, I might do the same as its a neat little setup but would still like some function for the light in the bright 6.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as thinking about it is hurting my head!

Thanks

CosKev3

posted on 28/11/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help solve it the way you want to,but bike engines using a stator and regulater/rectifier don't have a charge/battery light either so I've fitted a small digital volt gauge to my car.

This came around after breaking down a couple of years ago after my charging system stopped working,the first warning I got was the car misfiring then cutting out totally half a mile further up the road with a totally flat battery!

birdii

posted on 29/11/17 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar breakdown on my Triumph Daytona, engine died from flat battery and then lots of smoke from under the seat as the reg or rectifier burnt out!

Think ive found a solution now that will do what I want. There is a company making voltage detection units and lamps for classics which have a few options:

Classic Charge Warning Lights

If I use the unit for an existing battery light it almost does what I need but the output is a switched earth for light on, I can combine this with a micro 5 pin relay to get a switched live for light off. A little over complicated but it keeps everything on the dash looking the way it should.

Dan

Schrodinger

posted on 29/11/17 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
How have you wired the other light connection? It should have 12v from the ignition so that when there is 12v from the alternator there is then 0v potential difference across the bulb and it goes out.

Keith
Aviemore

birdii

posted on 29/11/17 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
There isn’t a connection on the alternator to do this, it only has the main battery cable and an exciter. If I connect to the main battery cable the light will always be off.
The problem is because if it being from a car that didn’t have a light.

CosKev3

posted on 29/11/17 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by birdii
I had a similar breakdown on my Triumph Daytona, engine died from flat battery and then lots of smoke from under the seat as the reg or rectifier burnt out!

Think ive found a solution now that will do what I want. There is a company making voltage detection units and lamps for classics which have a few options:

Classic Charge Warning Lights

If I use the unit for an existing battery light it almost does what I need but the output is a switched earth for light on, I can combine this with a micro 5 pin relay to get a switched live for light off. A little over complicated but it keeps everything on the dash looking the way it should.

Dan

They look good, and cheap!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.