Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Furore Products LED 5 3/4 Headlights
tims31

posted on 4/1/18 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Furore Products LED 5 3/4 Headlights

Having seen that Oliver at Furore Products is offering 20% off in January on LED Headlights I have been thinking about getting a pair of the 5 3/4 LED lamps to fit to my Fury Le Mans Bonnet. They must be better than the current standard 5 3/4 lamps I have fitted.

I have read the thread that Russbost originally posted about the lamps and see there were several questions about wiring up the lamps to work as indicators, side lights and ability to use them with hazards but did anyone ever get to a definative answer as the best way to wire these headlamp up to make full use of the facility of DRL,indicator and use with hazards?

Is the beam pattern good and give a good amount of light?

Thanks

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

obfripper

posted on 5/1/18 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
The beam pattern is fine for mot, the cutoff line of the beam is a little wider than some but acceptable.
I've never got round to using the indicator part, as they require power simultaneously to the indicator and drl wires to illuminate the indicator, so a diode arrangement would be needed to power up the drl circuit while the indicator is running without backfeeding the sidelamp circuit.
This would allow the hazard lamps to operate with ignition off for mot purposes, and indicators to operate without sidelamp/drl operating.
I haven't tested whether the drl feed for indicators would need to be continuous, a bit of a latching/timer circuit might be needed if this is the case.

Dave

adithorp

posted on 5/1/18 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've had them on since the first deal Russ did. Last Q's first... They have good beam pattern and think "own personal Sun" when it comes to brightness. I was never a big advocate of DRL's but have to say the reduced number of "I didn't see you" moments was immediatly noticable.

I use them as indicators and just ran an ignition switched feed for it. I never did anything about the Hazard issue. That works fine with ignition but without I just get side and rear. I did consider working something out with relays but never got around to it.

I think I put something in the original thread about getting them to work with the LeMans bonnet lamp bowls and covers but suspect the pictures have now been affected by photobuckets fees. If you need to see them I could trace them and put them up again.

Last time I used the car I noticed one DRL's had gone a bit dim. Guess I need to investigate that and see if I need a new lamp while the offer is on.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tims31

posted on 5/1/18 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
The beam pattern is fine for mot, the cutoff line of the beam is a little wider than some but acceptable.
I've never got round to using the indicator part, as they require power simultaneously to the indicator and drl wires to illuminate the indicator, so a diode arrangement would be needed to power up the drl circuit while the indicator is running without backfeeding the sidelamp circuit.
This would allow the hazard lamps to operate with ignition off for mot purposes, and indicators to operate without sidelamp/drl operating.
I haven't tested whether the drl feed for indicators would need to be continuous, a bit of a latching/timer circuit might be needed if this is the case.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I have ordered a pair but not decided yet which way to go on these. I already have DRLs fitted so may wire up the halo as a side light or have a play around to see which works best.

Hopefully someone has a best solution

russbost

posted on 5/1/18 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I posted a video somewhere showing how the lights work, trying to find it, but can't at present

It's a while since I looked at the setup of these, but IIRC, then what obfripper has said is correct, I think the indicators will work only if there is a feed to the DRL already. I guess if you are using the DRL's instead of sidelights, but on with ignition, & you only want the indicators as an addition to existing then there wouldn't be any issue with hazards at MoT as existing indicators would still work with ign off

If you want indicators to work without ignition & have separate sidelights, then it can be done by splitting feeds with diodes, but becomes a bit more complex

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tims31

posted on 5/1/18 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

I use them as indicators and just ran an ignition switched feed for it. I never did anything about the Hazard issue. That works fine with ignition but without I just get side and rear. I did consider working something out with relays but never got around to it.

I think I put something in the original thread about getting them to work with the LeMans bonnet lamp bowls and covers but suspect the pictures have now been affected by photobuckets fees. If you need to see them I could trace them and put them up again.

Not sure which way to go yet, I have DRLs already so may wire up the halo as a sidelight but that would mean I couldnt use as an indicator then. At least I will get some lights so I can see where I am going in the dark
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

I posted a video somewhere showing how the lights work, trying to find it, but can't at present

It's a while since I looked at the setup of these, but IIRC, then what obfripper has said is correct, I think the indicators will work only if there is a feed to the DRL already. I guess if you are using the DRL's instead of sidelights, but on with ignition, & you only want the indicators as an addition to existing then there wouldn't be any issue with hazards at MoT as existing indicators would still work with ign off

If you want indicators to work without ignition & have separate sidelights, then it can be done by splitting feeds with diodes, but becomes a bit more complex

Be good to see the video if you can find it. Think that using the halo as an indictor may need to be done as the brightness of the headlamps may stop people seeing the indicators I have just below the headlights.

So possibly the best option is to add a ignition feed to the DRL line so the DRL/halo comes on all the time you have ignition on and then the indicators should work?

russbost

posted on 5/1/18 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
"So possibly the best option is to add a ignition feed to the DRL line so the DRL/halo comes on all the time you have ignition on and then the indicators should work?"

Yes, basically if you are keeping the existing indicators then that satisfies any MoT requirement with ignition off. Providing you already have a feed to the DRL's then as soon as the indicator feed is engaged that kills the DRL & puts the amber led's into operation for the indicators, as soon as indicators are switched off the light reverts to white DRL, you obviously don't get any flashing of the DRL's in between indicator flashes if you follow me

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MadMaxx

posted on 5/1/18 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Are the headlights CE approved and also available for LHD cars?

May I use the original chrome frame and support of the original 7" RHD Mini headlights I have on my Fury? (For 7" version of headlights, of course)

My re-building diary:

http://www.llcc.it/YetAnotherForum.NET/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13448

russbost

posted on 5/1/18 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMaxx
Are the headlights CE approved and also available for LHD cars?

May I use the original chrome frame and support of the original 7" RHD Mini headlights I have on my Fury? (For 7" version of headlights, of course)

You'd need to check with Oliver, we certainly had both CE & E marked versions of both 5 & 3/4 & 7" lights, but I couldn't be certain of current stock as I am no longer directly involved.

Withe regard to the 7" lights, most definitely talk to Oliver as I believe he was going to offer a very special deal on those. You should be able to use existing chrome surrounds I believe, but the "buckets" may need some modification due to depth of the back of the light, doesn't matter if the rear of the LED lamp is exposed as I'm almost certain they are IP65 waterproof

tims31

posted on 6/1/18 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I ordered the lamps yesterday afternoon and they arrived first thing this morning so very quick delivery, thanks Oliver.

Looking at the lamps though there is no mounting brackets with them so I assume I will have to push out the headlamps from the current mounting rings, is that what others have done?

Description
Description

Description
Description

Also I assume I do not need the CANBUS cable and can just use the plug attached to the lamp?

Thanks

russbost

posted on 6/1/18 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
I ordered the lamps yesterday afternoon and they arrived first thing this morning so very quick delivery, thanks Oliver.

Looking at the lamps though there is no mounting brackets with them so I assume I will have to push out the headlamps from the current mounting rings, is that what others have done?

Description
Description

Description
Description

Also I assume I do not need the CANBUS cable and can just use the plug attached to the lamp?

Thanks

Yes, they should fit your existing chrome rings, as said you may need to make some mods to the "buckets" I think Adithorp on here spaced the whole light forward slightly to get extra clearance, might be worth a PM to him

No the Canbus is purely for fitment to modern vehicles like Landrover/Jeep if they have Canbus, as you've correctly said you can simply ignore it where Canbus isn't fitted

tims31

posted on 6/1/18 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russbost,

Just been out in the garage and tried to see how they fit and the chrome rings will fit but maybe a bit tight, I might need to take a little off the inside of the ring.

As for the buckets, I saw that Adi had fitted longer screws as they don't fit fully in but that pushes them out a bit further and the top edge rubs against the perspex cover. I may just cut out the buckets and leave the mounting ring from the purpose of adjusting. I assume the units are waterproof anyway and the heatsink will get some airflow too then.

Moorron

posted on 7/1/18 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've got these lights from the original order.

They are night and day from my old dominators. So much clearer and illuminate signs from about .8 of a mile away.

Fitment was a head scratcher, I made a ring of 20mm/2mm flat and clamped them to the dominator studs, I then 3d designed and printed some covers which hide my metalwork. Seems to work great and prove they hold well now I have had them on for over a year.

Wiring, Its true you need the day light powered for the indicator to work. But wiring the daylight to the indicator thinking it will just flash the indicator isn't that correct. Doing it this way means the day light will illuminate for a split second just before each flash of the orange making it look pants.

I have mine on the side light switch and have to remember to switch it on before I drive, the plan will be to wire the sidelights to the (pre) ignition when time allows. My car has two electronic switched for the car, one acts like an isolator except for my clock, the other works as any other ignition would. This means I can leave my pre ignition on if I need to use the hazards but take the ignition key out for security.

I did some amp reading from these light before and after and was amazed how much brighter they are with less than half the current . The daylights and my rear sidelights (so all my sidelights running of the pre ignition) was so low it didn't worry me having to leave them on if needed for the hazards or if I forgot to switch off the pre ignition as I don't bother when parked up.

Now I just need to wire it this way.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

B33fy

posted on 7/1/18 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted them to my viento. Got all the lights working as they should including the hazards. I used a latching relay to switch the dry feed from switched to permanent when the hazards are used. Works ok but the relays aren’t the most reliable.
peter030371

posted on 8/1/18 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moorron
I've got these lights from the original order.

They are night and day from my old dominators. So much clearer and illuminate signs from about .8 of a mile away.

Fitment was a head scratcher, I made a ring of 20mm/2mm flat and clamped them to the dominator studs, I then 3d designed and printed some covers which hide my metalwork. Seems to work great and prove they hold well now I have had them on for over a year.

Have you got any pictures of how they look fitted to dominators? I have been half tempted to do this myself although so far I have now plans to drive my car in the dark!

HowardB

posted on 8/1/18 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sure that Adi wont mind me chiming in on his behalf, he extended them forward to accommodate the flasher unit, and then realised he could have avoided the modification

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

russbost

posted on 8/1/18 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to find the videos, both of the 5 & 3/4" lights & the 7" ones

See links below

Link to 1st 5 & 3/4 vid

Link to 2nd 5 & 3/4 vid - shows indicator

Link to 7" LED vid

tims31

posted on 8/1/18 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
Sure that Adi wont mind me chiming in on his behalf, he extended them forward to accommodate the flasher unit, and then realised he could have avoided the modification

hth

They do no fit the bowls I have fitted at the moment and so I have two choices which is fit longer screws like Adi has but they seem to contact my perspex lens covers then, or cut the bowls away and just use the mounting ring but then the backs of the lamps are exposed. They are waterproof units but just concerned then that water sprayed up by the wheels will get thrown into the lamp housing from behind and make the lens covers wet/dirty.

If I came up with a design is there anyone who could maybe 3d print some new bowls for me?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.