Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Main fuse blown
piddy

posted on 8/4/18 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Main fuse blown

Hello all.
I’m after a bit of advice please.
While out today in my Westfield 2012 it came to a grinding halt.
Luckily I was only doing about 20MPH. I coasted to the side of the road put my hazards on but not even they had any power. I lifted the bonnet and found that the main fuse (maxi 60 amp) located on the chassis rail had blown.
I’ve taken a quick look around all of the wiring within the engine bay and can’t see anything obvious.
Ideally I need a wiring diagram for a 2012 Westfield to see what is powered where to try and trace a possible cause for the fuse blowing.
Any advice/ways to test for a possible cause would be a great help please.

Thank you. Martin.

melly-g

posted on 8/4/18 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with a wiring diagram but I´d start with high powered stuff like lights and heater blower if you were using them, which I would have thought you were today!
piddy

posted on 8/4/18 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Lights yes, Blower No. Wouldn't the small fuses that deal with the lights blow first?

[Edited on 8/4/18 by piddy]

ReMan

posted on 9/4/18 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, if it simply a load line fault then if the light eg are fused separately then that fuse should blow.
But , and this is why you need to do some checks You could have a flat before the fuse, or the fuse been replaced by a nail!, or the main fuse be weak.
Start with a resistance check to.earth on the blown fuse line with the battery disconnected. To see if there is an obvious issue
Look over the wiring too in case something is chafing to the chassis or similar

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

russbost

posted on 9/4/18 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
In the absence of a wiring diagram you need to trace where the feed from that 60A fuse goes, shouldn't be too difficult as it will presumably be fairly hefty cable going from it. It will probably feed main fuses, starter relay & alternator. Anything the other side of fuses would blow the low amp fuse first.

Most likely would be a short on the main feed to the alternator.

Have you tried replacing the fuse, or if you just touch a thin cable across it momentarily (be careful if shorted it will burn out very quickly - you don't want to be holding it if it did! - it only needs a momentary touch to see if pulling big current) is it still drawing current?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cliftyhanger

posted on 9/4/18 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with above, alternator feed seems the obvious place to start. I had an alternator self-destruct and internally short, melted the wiring loom and caused a small engine fire. I say me, it was the missus driving our herald at the time, with both small kids in the back. Bit scary.
I digress, basic fault-finding should get it sorted.

piddy

posted on 9/4/18 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the advice.
I'm now off to work so I will update you on what I have done and found so far, later when I get home.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.