Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tool box preference
samjc

posted on 11/8/18 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
tool box preference

Hi guys and girls

I am currently in the process of doing up my garage to make working on projects including the kit alot easier. I have only ever had little tool boxes and chest but now im planning the lay out i have always wanted a big box due to my ever expanding tool collection, so on this theme i am curious to see what others are using and at what wildly high or low cost.

A box i am leaning towards is the sgs 42inch tool chest at around £600 but i am also looking at the usa husky 52inch tool box at a similar price but my issue is trying to get one sent to the uk as home depot dont ship this far very often and belive it to be very pricey.

Regards
Sam

Paul_Arion

posted on 11/8/18 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
I just went for a Halfords Professional Roll Chest and Cabinet bundle when they had an offer on - paid something like £230 from memory. They don’t seem to have that range on offer right now but worth a look at the store (especially if you know someone with a Halfords trade card)

They do have a bundle on the top of the range Advance boxes

Halfords bundle

matt5964

posted on 11/8/18 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
Our Kennedy and Kennedy PRO ranges are well received

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/storage-and-handling/tool-storage/060101

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/8/18 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Halfords pro stuff, bought when on offer (dented IIRC so very cheap) and it seems a decent bit of kit. No dramas.

Probably need something better if used all day every day but most of us it is weekend etc use so will last for donkeys years.

Worth checking fleabay. Many are bought by people who think they want to have lots of tool storage, but never use them etc, and can turn up bargains as invariably pickup only.

anthony1

posted on 11/8/18 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Between son and myself we have a few different makes of tool boxes......son has a really large Snap on roll box , for his work tools. Lovely ....but the price was lovely too !!!! Far beyond fathers budget. I have four US PRO TOOLS boxes...bought off ebay a few years ago.....they are fine for me , heavy weight and the drawer mechanisms seem to be holding up very well. I have just bought a top box and middle drawers from Halfords , they are part of the INDUSTRIAL range. £125 for the top box and £90 for the middle drawer unit.....they are being discontinued. While I was in our local Halfords to collect them , I looked at the NEW range , Halfords ADVANCED.......they looked just the same to me......apart from the ADVANCED badge , rather than the INDUSTRIAL badge. I also have an ancient TASKMASTER bottom box , I bought some tools of a friend and they were in this .....it could do with a paint but that too is still going strong !!!!
Schrodinger

posted on 11/8/18 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I did notice that Aldi have a rolling box on offer this week in their stores. May be worth a look.

Keith
Aviemore

matt5964

posted on 11/8/18 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Theses guys have some decent stuff

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/tool-chests-cabinets/chest-cabinet/stchd4100-professional-14-drawer-roll-away-tool-chest-cabinet

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

rusty nuts

posted on 11/8/18 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
It might and I stress might , be worth looking at used Snap On boxes, they frequently come up for sale on Gumtree etc . If you manage to find a bargain it will still have some resell value in a few years time.

posted on 11/8/18 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer the lo-tech approach;

a row of nails in the wall.

Mind you, I'm rapidly running out of wall.

jelly head

posted on 12/8/18 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords pro on offer
mcerd1

posted on 12/8/18 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
the halfords mid range ones are pretty good for the money (the ones that were sold as 'professional' but it looks like they might have changed them recently)

but keep an eye open for deals / sales - I got a bundled set of 3 in a sale with an extra 10% online flash sale (only had to reserve it online and pay on collection) - all in I got the set for £225 (it was meant to be well over £500 at the time)

-

steve m

posted on 12/8/18 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Paul 907 above, some nails in the wall !

I for years had tool boxes etc cluttering up the floor space in my small garage, but about 10 years ago,
had a major declutter and sort out in there, and now have a board on the wall with L shaped hooks, that all the most used tools are hung on,

The beauty of this board, is that if a tool is missing, theres a gap,
I also now, pretty well after using a tool, put it back on the board, and not leave anything lieing around on the floor, as I used to

The downside of having a board, is if you spend any time away with tools, but I don't so it works for me

Any tool that is not used frequently is in a tool cabinet, and out of the way

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

loggyboy

posted on 12/8/18 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I also went for halfords, waited months for the offer to come up, but eventually got Base, top and mid boxed in the professional version (roller bearing) for £200.
I had already had the basic £80~ version of their chest, which I had had for 10+yrs and had done well but was lacking in drawer space. It still have it in the shed as a 2ndry store.

Mistral Motorsport

Irony

posted on 13/8/18 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
My Dad, brother and neighbour have all run car maintenance businesses from there home garages. All retired now. Guess what they used? Nails on the wall or those hanging brackets screwed to the wall that the tools hang on.

If you work in a busy workshop with other mechanics I can understand it. A tool chest is lockable!! At home I use a cheap chinese tool chest that works fine that I had for site work years ago.

Irony

posted on 13/8/18 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Aldi Tool Chest
nick205

posted on 13/8/18 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Snap-On 4 draw + tray top box (given to me).
Clarke 7 draw roll cab (bought 2nd hand).

Both are lockable and with 10 and 12 year old sons they stay locked to keep the tools in them.

Both have a thin layer of black foam stuff in the base of each drawer to protect tools and paint and prevent rattles.

Both work just fine for me.

Starting again and buying for myself I'd probably be looking at the Halfords ones.

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/8/18 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well I would consider this, most of the tools in ready made tool sets will not be used, quite simply they won't. It's surprising in fact just how few ever get used. Also many tool sets include imperial sizes, you'll just never use those at all unless it's an old classic you have, even then it's just a few sizes of those.

Over the years I've bought the sizes I need, the normal metric sizes 8 - 24mm, doubled all my sockets and ring spanners for those sizes, two 1/2 ratchets, various extension bars, lots of good quality mole grips. Good long allen key set. These are the tools you'll actually need. Along with a large hammer & blow torch... With modern cars a quality torx driver set both male and female is mandatory.

Yeah it's a nice comfort factor having 100's of bits of metal sitting there but 90% of them will never be used.

Halfords professional tools seem very much up to the task, no quibble lifetime guarantee, spare parts & rebuild kits for their tools on the shelf at reasonable prices. Take a fair beating even when used totally inappropriately (needs must sometimes)

Yeah I'm sure F1 teams use stuff like snap on etc but they are sponsored to use them, they work on stuff that is brand new, a rusty nut to deal with yeah right as if...

[Edited on 13/8/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rm0rgan

posted on 13/8/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have and can recommend this from Costco

https://www.costco.co.uk/Hardware-DIY-Tyres/Storage-Organisation/Cabinet-Sets/Kirkland-Signature-42-106-cm-6-Drawer-1-Cabinet-Top-Chest-42-106-cm-10-D rawer-Bottom-Tool-Chest/p/803353

£599 delivered and really a great bit of kit.

If you want one and are not a Costco member, just let me know - you can send me the money and I can order it for you/get it delivered to your house. :-)

Sigs are uncool.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 13/8/18 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Arion
I just went for a Halfords Professional Roll Chest and Cabinet bundle when they had an offer on - paid something like £230 from memory. They don’t seem to have that range on offer right now but worth a look at the store (especially if you know someone with a Halfords trade card)

They do have a bundle on the top of the range Advance boxes

Halfords bundle

I bought a top box and chest from the Halfords Industrial range when they were on offer - usually about £700-800 for the pair, sale weekend usually does them for £300 combined. I then added the middle drawer unit for a cheeky £100! Wasn't overly impressed with the other (cheaper) ranges in Halfords, but this one has done almost a decade of use, and drawers are still smooth running.

Having looked at their website, it seems they're discontinuing the "Industrial" range, and replacing them with their own "Advanced" branding. Not sure what the quality is like, but I still wouldn't pay the £550 asking price for the bundle on offer they currently have.

I'd consider looking at Clarke items as well, think Machine Mart sell them. Again, good quality, but a little more expensive than Halfords.

I used to have a second hand 52" SnapOn KRX range tool trolley/chest with a butchers block on top that doubled as a work bench in my garage, and wasn't overly impressed. The service from the rep was good when he kindly replaced half the drawer runners for me when the ball bearing retainers broke (despite me not being the original purchaser of said item), but they were never smooth running, and just felt a bit too "industrial". It wasn't cheap, but maybe it was just the fact they were large, heavy drawers. It's since gone to a new home, and I now have a separate work bench.

Just my 2p's worth!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Mash

posted on 21/8/18 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just took delivery of my Aldi Workzone Rolling toolstation.

140 quid, and it seems pretty good at first glance, probably going to get the 3 drawer tool chest to go with it.

Now I need MORE TOOLS to fill it

tilly819

posted on 21/8/18 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
Our Kennedy and Kennedy PRO ranges are well received

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/storage-and-handling/tool-storage/060101

I have two of their roll cabs and a top box...Proper bits of kit. Not cheap but should last a lifetime.

Cheers

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

AntonUK

posted on 22/8/18 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
The clarke stuff is pretty good too. like Halfords it worth waiting for an offer.

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.