Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Things to fix or just ignore
ArAKern

posted on 5/11/18 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Things to fix or just ignore

Well managed to get the first descent trip ~380 miles in the car and apart from deciding that I am to much of a Sothern softy to cope with prolonged driving in temperatures of 6-8 degC (with wind chill that's 0 to -3) the car ran beautifully.

But there are some things to address over the winter layup.

Leaving indicators on, due to the position steering wheel the dash tail tails are obscured unless I look down at the dash.
has anybody fitted the motorcycle style warning bleepers/buzzers are they loud enough or just really annoying when driving round town etc.

Communications, with the helmets on trying to talk at anything above 50mph was like a like a drunk game of Chinese whispers.
What are others using Rally style or Motorcycle Bluetooth items?

Running Temperatures. While moving the car runs cool between 80-90 degC but in stop start town traffic did notice the radiator fan kicking off and on regularly but the gauge never showed over 100 degC Is this something I should be concerned about or fairly normal for Phoenix.

Thanks in advance for you knowledge and advice
ArA

40inches

posted on 5/11/18 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
has anybody fitted the motorcycle style warning bleepers/buzzers are they loud enough or just really annoying when driving round town etc.

Both

The running temps look normal, about same as mine.

[Edited on 5-11-18 by 40inches]

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/11/18 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
fit a repeater lamp on top of the scuttle right in front of your face along with one for the oil pressure
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 5/11/18 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
fit a repeater lamp on top of the scuttle right in front of your face along with one for the oil pressure

Great idea...
Not that I need it.. I think...
As acewell tach with indicators will be visible through opening in steering wheel..

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/11/18 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I overheated, and blew up a perfect engine, years ago, as I cant see the temp gauge when the passenger tonneau cover is on,
and it overheated to the extent that it seized,

So in between the speedo and rev counter, I now have as an addition to the high beam and charging light,
ive fitted an orange lamp that tells me when the fan comes on, so I can glance at the obscured temp gauge just to check!
Also a red low oil pressure light, that comes on around 14psi, even though I do have a gauge, but just as backup

So my opinion would be to add a warning light

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 6/11/18 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Communications I don't think you'll find anything to beat the Sena units, they are eye wateringly expensive but very good, Oli at Furoreproducts can get you a small discount, but I think they are now ordered in to requirement due to high costs of stocking. I owned a Scala, which wasn't quite as dear & was good, but about 18 months in one of the batteries failed & it was impossible to get even by ebay/google. Scala said "we don't supply batteries" which is cr*p after sales service

I would agree running temps look normal - if you are running an Acewell or something similar you should be able to set it to give a warning at a set temp

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bi22le

posted on 6/11/18 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you have only just started driving kit cars I think you will get used to checking the indicators. I did, and then had to again when I started riding bikes.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ArAKern

posted on 6/11/18 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
I just found some motorcycle style headsets that will work with my tiny PMR radios, will try how well they work at £11 no great loss either way.

I was getting better with the indicators by the end of the trip but it only take once for it to cause an issus.
eBay lists some that switch off the buzzer when sitting at a junction etc an at price and connecting 3 wires bit on a no brained for me, need to go behind the dash to wire in a USB charging port anyway.

Glad to see the engine temps are normal I have yet cut any vent holes in the bonnet so I have option to add additional ventilation.
Must admit was enjoying the warm transmission tunnel when we were moving slowly.

Irony

posted on 7/11/18 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I overheated my engine when a coolant pipe blew off and I just didn't notice the guage going up. Still not sure of the extent of the damage as I pulled over quick but after a unknown amount of time.

I vowed to never let it happen again so I wired a moped horn to the oil pressure and water temp warning lights. I'll know sharpish if it comes on

alfas

posted on 2/12/18 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
wich V6 engine do you have fitted? and what kind of radiator?

with outside temp. so cold & with normal driving the temp. should be lower , imo.
by implication this means in smmer you may run into a problem.

this would be the first job i would do over winter:

important is:
is the rad big enough?
is the airflow to and through the rad enough and would ducting help? (if not done already)
is the air-inlet towards the bonnet mouth restricted (e.g. by a esh grille)?

pictures would help here

scimjim

posted on 2/12/18 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
with outside temp. so cold & with normal driving the temp. should be lower , imo.
by implication this means in summer you may run into a problem.

I have to disagree, if your running temp is fluctuating by more than 10 deg or so, you have an inefficient system.

The thermostat should keep the minimum temp at optimum (around 90deg depending on system pressure, coolant boiling point, engine design, etc) when the OAT is low and/or you have good forward speed.

This shouldn’t present a problem in summer - when stationary and/or low forward speed in high OAT, the rad and cooling fan (along with the stat) keep maximum temp at optimum.

alfas

posted on 21/12/18 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
summer will tell who is right and who was wrong

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.