Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator not charging help please
Charlie C

posted on 18/3/19 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Alternator not charging help please

I’ve fitted and new alternator (mx5 engine) and it is not charging, I know very little about testing alternators so with the engine running I put a Volt meter across the output terminal and the alternator body and got 11.5V, I did the same for the battery and got the same.

I disconnected the battery cable from the alternator got the engine running and but the volt meter across the alternator output and body again and got 2v reducing to 0.5 volts.

Can anyone help ideas of what I can test or check?

myke pocock

posted on 18/3/19 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Do a youtube search for the tests and that will tell you a lot.
russbost

posted on 18/3/19 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Essential to have a good main feed to the alternator - this is the direct heavy cable from battery to alternator, the alternator will not charge if it doesn't have a feed from the battery in the first place. Some alternators also don't work if you don't have the warning light connected & working - do you have warning light connected?

If main feed is good & warning light connected & working then with engine running at fast idle you should have at least 12.5V across the battery terminals, increasing to around 14.5 as engine speed rises

If all wiring as above is fitted & intact & fan belt is tight & spinning alternator then it only leaves the unit itself to be at fault

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Charlie C

posted on 18/3/19 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
The warning lighting might be the problem, I have an Acewell 7659 which doesn’t have a direct connection from the alternator.

I've found this thread https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=200512

Possible I've wired the 2 pin pug the wrong way round so the alterantor is not energized.

[Edited on 18/3/19 by Charlie C]

Charlie C

posted on 18/3/19 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the alternate charging by connecting the alternator warning lamp circuit to a switched live supply. the problem is now the belt is slipping badly the tension is to bad but it like there is a large load on the alternator.
russbost

posted on 18/3/19 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
If the battery is a little flat, quite likely as the alternator hasn't been charging, there will be a large load on it to top the battery back up. If you have a charger then manually charge the battery b4 running again, that said, belt really should be tight enough not to slip even when alternator is putting out full load

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Charlie C

posted on 18/3/19 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly thanks for all your help.

I'm charging the battery now and i'll adjust the belt before i start the engine again.

ianhurley20

posted on 18/3/19 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget the NA (Mk 1) MX5 engines use a regulator which is inside the alternator and the NB (Mk 2 - 2.5) uses the ECU to control the charge rate of the alternator

[Edited on 18/3/19 by ianhurley20]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.