Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.1 pinto head gasket
cadebytiger

posted on 17/5/19 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
2.1 pinto head gasket

Hi,

Does anyone know if I special head gasket is required for the 2.1 bored out pinto?

I have offered up an OEM one and it looks like it might very slightly overhang the bore.

Thanks again!

Rupert

mcerd1

posted on 17/5/19 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
assuming your using the 93mm pistons then yes you need a bigger gasket

-

cadebytiger

posted on 17/5/19 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thought so. Thanks! Any recommendations?

Looks like I put a reinz one in there last time.

Thanks

Rupert

mcerd1

posted on 17/5/19 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
their isn't all that much choice really unless you go for the multi layer steel type (cometic and the likes)

this is the most common one and its nothing special:
https://www.burtonpower.com/ajusa-head-gasket-94-5mm-ford-sohc-pinto-2-0-2-1-ft774g.html

I've was just going to use one of them (in fact i've still got 2 sitting in the garage, 1 brand new and one that I only put in to check valve clearance)
but due to a little cock-up in my measurements I needed a little extra thickness to drop my CR a little (otherwise I'd need to run it on 105 octane petrol ) so I'm using a Cometic 93.5mm bore one now that fairly massive 0.075" thick which turned out to be special order from the US...

the 'standard' 0.040" thick ones are much easier (and cheaper) to get though:
https://www.burtonpower.com/cometic-head-gasket-93-5mm-multi-shim-type-ford-sohc-pinto-ft795.html

[Edited on 17/5/2019 by mcerd1]

-

snapper

posted on 17/5/19 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
As stated the choice is limited, I have used an Adjusa gasket on a mild 93mm bore Pinto and it worked, compression was about 9.7 to 1.
I struggled to get the right compression ration with my other 2.1 so went expensive with a multi layer gasket.

There is a 93.5mm Reinz gasket available on eBay at either 1.3mm, it’s a good well known make but at 93.5 you need to get it set on the block by using some old head bolts with the heads cut off then lower the head gently and level on to the gasket, remove one stud bolt at a time in the order you will tighten the bolts, nip them up and then your good to do a proper tighten sequence.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cadebytiger

posted on 17/5/19 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both!
mcerd1

posted on 17/5/19 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
.....get it set on the block by using some old head bolts with the heads cut off then lower the head gently and level on to the gasket, remove one stud bolt at a time in the order you will tighten the bolts, nip them up and then your good to do a proper tighten sequence.

^^^ thats a pretty good idea for any gasket anyway - using at least 4 studs to line everything up just makes the 100x easier - especially if your engine stand doesn't hold it level like mine

I made mine like snapper says by chopping off the heads of the old head bolts and then cutting a screwdriver slot in the end with a thin disc on the grinder so that you can get them back out the block with the head on

I just did 4 rather than all 10 (2 fitted between cyl 1&2, the other 2 between 3&4), then drop the other 6 bolts in and put them finger tight before swapping the studs for bolts 1 at a time and then torque as normal, but then my steel gasket is a lot less flexible so 4 was defiantly enough form mine

-

snapper

posted on 17/5/19 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, good point,
I forgot about the slot for a screwdriver.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Oddified

posted on 19/5/19 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
The genuine Cosworth YB YB0611 group A head gasket is fine on a 93mm bore and is far more tolerant of a less than perfect head/block finish that a multi layer metal gasket needs. And from experience they're better than the Adjusa gasket for sealing if your pushing some ponies out..

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.