Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flickering gauges
JC

posted on 1/7/19 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Flickering gauges

Hi all,

I have 2 (possibly separate?) electrical issues.

My car has the ‘el cheapo’ gauge set from CBS. When I’m driving they are all over the place, giving random readings, sometimes dying, then coming back to life. Sometimes at a standstill, engine running, the speedo winds up to 40-50 mph then returns.....

I’ve checked supply and earths and they seem ok. Is it likely to be interference or dodgy gauges?
Edit to add:
I have checked with the engine NOT running. Putting the indicators on causes the indicated voltage at the voltmeter to pulse between 10v and 12v as the indicators cycle. It also causes the Rev counter to indicate - I unplugged the signal feed from the coil and the pulsing continues... the indicator switch and tell tales are all part of the dashboard. Is this an earth issue???.

The second issue is my water/meth injection pump.... when it cuts in, the voltage drops - you can hear the electric petrol pump slow if the engine isn’t running. Apparently it draws 6-9 amps when it cuts in, 3-6 continuous running. I have an odyssey 25 battery - could it be that it isn’t man enough?

Edit to add:

Ran voltmeter across battery terminals. Stayed at 12v+, even with water injection running.

Measured voltage in to injection pump....just over 10v

Measured voltage between live battery terminal and power to pump (voltage drop?) with pump running and it was 1.45V.

Power distribution is via a CBS easy wiring module, if that makes a difference, and through a battery isolated switch.

Thanks

BTW Car is supercharged MGB powered...

[Edited on 1/7/19 by JC]

[Edited on 1/7/19 by JC]

[Edited on 2/7/19 by JC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 2/7/19 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
Measured voltage between live battery terminal and power to pump (voltage drop?) with pump running and it was 1.45V.

a 1.4V drop on a short cable means it needs a bigger cable.

note 1.4v at 5a is 7w so that cable will be getting warm

JC

posted on 3/7/19 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Spent the day checking everything. Finally added an additional, thicker earth return between battery and the chassis and all ills instantly cured! Hurray!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/7/19 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
This is physical proof that a properly designed wiring loom is the key to making the systems work without fail.

Smoke pipes ......

zilspeed

posted on 17/7/19 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
This is physical proof that a properly designed wiring loom is the key to making the systems work without fail.

Smoke pipes ......

You're alive ;-)

Hope you're well.

JC

posted on 17/7/19 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

Smoke pipes ......

Absolutely! I bought the car from the builder last year.....new dashboard and a rewire on the winter to do list!

r1_pete

posted on 17/7/19 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, many folk forget the same current exists round a circuit, not just the +ve feed...

posted on 18/7/19 at 04:06 AM Reply With Quote
To account for variations in running voltage some gauges require a voltage reducer, temp, fuel etc.

My Smiths gauges run off 10v to give accurate readings.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.