Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scrapping a part dismantled / broken vehicle
Stuart Walker

posted on 6/8/19 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Scrapping a part dismantled / broken vehicle

The time has come to say goodbye to my beloved Suzuki Carry van. It's a serial MOT failure and the welding required is now beyond both my abilities and finances. It cost me £800 at least ten years ago and has been on many adventures all over the UK and Europe, so it doesn't owe me anything, but I don't want to waste some of the newish parts.

I've scrapped a car before so I know how that works, and I guess it would be the same if I'd just taken a few bits off, but how do I go about getting rid of a car once I've taken off say the wheels, lights, and tailgate (covered in stickers from adventures - it's going up on the wall!). Obviously I'll need a trailer, and I don't expect to get anything for it, but does anyone have experience of scrapping a part vehicle? Will I have to pay or if I can get it to a recyclers will they just take it?

I know I could call Ward or someone similar and ask them, but I wanted to see if there's expert opinion on here before I commit myself to anything. Anyone done it? Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ken555

posted on 6/8/19 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have just taken the remains of a car to the local scrap dealer.

They seemed happy as long as it had no VIN plate, and they could treat it as scrap metal.

Put the trailer along side it and rolled it onto the top of it.

The lifted it off at the other end with a big crane grab thing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 6/8/19 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you take it on a trailer to a proper licensed scrap yard then you will get a certificate of destruction.

I gave another to a breaker that collected it and I just transferred it to said dealer on line. I got a letter a week later to say I was no longer the registered keeper. I had the engine and loom out of it.

gremlin1234

posted on 6/8/19 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
if that's the same as the bedford rascal, where it has a chassis, you might be able to build a kit on it
midge mk2 !
since you don't change the original chassis, no iva

(but if I were doing so, I would work at least to current iva as the absolute minimum build standard)

StrikerChris

posted on 6/8/19 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Dont suppose the engines any good?....
Stuart Walker

posted on 7/8/19 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I just don't want to end up in a position where I'm stuck with the bits I don't want! Armed with your information I will talk to some scrappies and recyclers and see what they have to say.

Gremlin - This was my first thought (I need more projects! ), but sadly the chassis is the problem really. My understanding of the regs is that without reusing a chassis I couldn't do anything without an IVA (?)... So should probably concentrate on the Locost. But if you want to have a look at it let me know! Would love to see it used. You could do all sorts with it - we lived in the Alps with it for a year and I did have a plan for a while to put tank tracks on it (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/84/0c/2d/840c2d020b547630ea4f5c903b87b8b9.jpg) - would've been ironic as it's the worst thing I've ever driven in snow!

Chris - It's a great little engine. 1295 I think. Enthusiastic if not powerful... I did have a few problems with it losing power, which eventually diagnosed as a knackered ignition coil on two of the cylinders. Replaced now and was good when I last drove it. Give me a shout if you want to look / photos etc.!

gremlin1234

posted on 7/8/19 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Walker...sadly the chassis is the problem really. My understanding of the regs is that without reusing a chassis I couldn't do anything without an IVA (?)...
once the body is removed, chassis repairs should be 'easy'

but yes, concentrate on the locost

StrikerChris

posted on 9/8/19 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Would be interested in the the engine, or atleast some info. Long story short, there's a belter of a rascal pickup been swapping hands between me and my mates for free for many years.
Last one had it, ran it dry of oil, sized the cam, we couldn't let it die so I took the engine to work and sorted it albeit very roughly with no spares. Since then I've had the sack, got the engine back but the rascal has been to countless barns, and now there are many bits missing! A running engine combo might resurrect it. This was just a 970 or something on a lawnmower carb. If you have the bits to make yours run, please u2u me and we'll go from there.
For some reason can't u2u u from my mobile.
Chris

[Edited on 9/8/19 by StrikerChris]

Stuart Walker

posted on 19/8/19 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Did you get my message Chris?

Cheers,
Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.