Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RX8 hubs Audi A6 wheels
Simon

posted on 13/4/20 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
RX8 hubs Audi A6 wheels

I am building my Beetle using the Audi A6 rear subframe (but modded to take Boxster transaxle rather than rear diff) so the A6 wheels can be used. To make life easier at the front, I am using a Mazda RX8 front subframe/suspension.

Now, for a laugh I thought I'd try the Audi wheels on the RX8 hubs and surprise surprise they "fit".

Checking the official stud patterns I think the Audi is 114.3 x 5 and the Mazda 112 x 5.

Then I saw these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264525367123

"In the case of Mazda these nuts allow
4 stud 4x100 to 4x98 and 4x108 to 4x110 5 stud 5x114.3 to 5x112 and 5x115 wheels to be fitted"

So, firstly has any seen these and are they any good/legal/safe etc etc.

Secondly I would prefer to use Audi front discs and calipers on the RX8 hubs so would ideally need hubs modifying ever so slightly by having original studs removed and moved out to larger radius and refitted; so likewise does anyone know anyone in Kent/East Susses that can do this if necessary.

Cheers

PorkChop

posted on 13/4/20 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Eh? The RX8 is 114.3 x 5, same as the NC MX5.

AFAIK there's nothing illegal about using them, would I use them? I would be more keen to use PCD adapters.

I would have thought you would be losing out on some clamping force area as well with wobblies, how far this is from being significant enough I don't know.

Stud diameters might also be a factor but if you've already managed to get them to go on this might not be an issue.

For the brakes, I would either stick to the RX8 gear (they're decent brakes and you can get aftermarket kits for them too), or if it had to be Audi, you could always drill the Audi discs to accept the RX8 PCD if you have enough metal to do so. Plenty of people have done this on other cars before, there have been some stories of cracks developing from the drilling though.

[Edited on 13/4/20 by PorkChop]

Simon

posted on 13/4/20 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Got my pcd's back to front; the Audi is 112 x 5 and as you say the Mazda is 114.3 but q's still remain

Edited to say, looked at a video or two, seems to be quite a popular a popular alternative ..

Ordered some to help for time being

[Edited on 13/4/20 by Simon]

[Edited on 13/4/20 by Simon]

PorkChop

posted on 13/4/20 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Got my pcd's back to front; the Audi is 112 x 5 and as you say the Mazda is 114.3 but q's still remain

Edited my first post with my thoughts.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/4/20 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
No reason why you can’t use them what’s the difference in the centre bore of the wheels if there different get some spigot rings to change
r1_pete

posted on 14/4/20 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel fitters used them on my Wife's old Lexus, but, they did also fit centre rings so the wheels centre on the hub not the studs.

Thats interesting though, I've been looking for some 114.3x5s to get a space saver spare for my Mustang...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.