Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new build
leevo6

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
new build

the time has come! I'm building a kit car. something I have wanted to do for a while.
I have purchased what I'm told is a locost chassis that rolls using some old for running gear. an mx5 1.8 as a donner car (pictures will be added but not a clue how to at the moment) looking for some help on where is the best starting point. any good post to read about what I'm doing and where to find them?

RedAvon

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome,

I find this an excellent forum for advice. Most topics have been covered over the years so I would recommend starting with the search function and build diaries.

Good luck

Ian

Bricoleur

leevo6

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ian. will try the search out and will be keeping a build diary myself aswell..how do I upload pictures?
thanks lee

J666AYP

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, welcome along.

Best bet is to find out exactly what chassis you are working on, have seen Robin hood and similar branded as a locost in the past. Also there are several versions of the chassis built to different measurements so handy to know what will fit.

If it is locost chassis the book is a valuable resource and can be found online for a reasonable price, this covers the majority of components.

With the MX5 donor you can either use as much of the donor as possible or do things the hard way by just using the engine/gearbox and building everything else to make it work. Entirely down to how you want to build it, time and budget. If I had to do mine again I would certainly go for the easiest route.

Also nearly any question you may have regarding the build will have been asked before, the search function is a very handy tool.

All the best,
J

leevo6

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
will go about identifying the chassis and if it is the said locost what book is best to get? as for the mx5 I plan on using the engine ,and transmission.(do I use the mx5 hubs? and buy/make wishbones???) i have so many question so will be using the search option. thanks for your help j
RedAvon

posted on 3/6/20 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi lee,

You have a photo archive and in there there is an option to upload a file, you can choose folders too.

There's also a button above - a yellow picture with an arrow - to insert files.

Hope this helps
Ian

Bricoleur

leevo6

posted on 3/6/20 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
thank you
leevo6

posted on 3/6/20 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
[img]http:// Starting Point
Starting Point
[/img]

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 3/6/20 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
To make your life easier so you can bolt all the MX-5 bits together why don’t you just buy a starter kit from one of the guys like MK. They have an RX-5 which uses a ton of parts from the MX-5 donor car. Would make your life a whole lot easier.
leevo6

posted on 3/6/20 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's not about easy. Ita about the love of doing it and the satisfaction once it's done.😁
nick205

posted on 4/6/20 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leevo6
It's not about easy. Ita about the love of doing it and the satisfaction once it's done.😁

Excellent approach, in my opinion!

I assembled an MK Indy, but got as much (if not more) pleasure from the assembly and learning process as I did from the finished car. This forum was and is always a great source of car help as well as help for other interests andprojects as well.

leevo6

posted on 5/6/20 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I just want to get stuck in to it but currently stripping the mx5 inbetween my other work.. will definitely need help/steer in some areas..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.