Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No RPM signal - Megasquirt EDIS Zetec - rapidly losing patience
Chaz

posted on 7/6/20 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
No RPM signal - Megasquirt EDIS Zetec - rapidly losing patience

Hi All,

Getting pretty frustrated with this now!

Checked everything on the car and still no RPM (seen on tuner studio) or fuel (Seen at the back of the inlet valves) during crank start cycle. My guess is that i wont get fuel until MS 'sees' RPM becuase i will assume it is not cranking.

So i've checked all wires/connections with EDIS etc and TunerStudio cannot detect any RPM. I'm using VR, through SAW and PIP. I had it working sometime ago using Megajolt so i know it works.

Anyone else has this issue before please?

I believe i cant test with my JimStim 1.5 because it cannot simulate the AC signal (only simulates DC i think).

Any help will be welcome, i'm at the end!

[Edited on 8-6-20 by Chaz]

pmc_3

posted on 8/6/20 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried another crank sensor?
r1_pete

posted on 8/6/20 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the polarity on the Crank sensor?

If you've used the same edis / sensor wiring as when it worked its probably not an issue...

Sensor / trigger wheel air gap??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AntonUK

posted on 8/6/20 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
With the pip/saw disconnected between the MS and the EDIS. do you get spark when cranking? This would rule out the crank sensor and EDIS module.

The EDIS can operate in 'limp mode' without those connected at a fixe 10deg advance

[Edited on 8/6/20 by AntonUK]

Build Photos Here

paulf

posted on 8/6/20 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I am running the same setup on my car and seem to remember having a problem when first set up due to an obscure setting in the MS software but it was a few years back.I think some of the inputs needed to be configured for the pins that the pip and saw signals are on to work correctly.
Paul.

Chaz

posted on 8/6/20 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Anton, ah yes good point, so if i disconnect the controlling part from Megasquirt it will go into limp home mode at 10 deg BTDC right?

Paulf, hi again! You wont remember me but you fixed me up with megajolt first time around and took me for a spin in your yellow thing. Yes whilst Tunerstudio does seem ok, it has got a few gotchas in there which i might have already fallen foul of.

Do you mind sharing with me your settings to give me a good starting base. Not just the maps but down to all the settings please if you would be so kind?!

Thank you both
Charlie

Chaz

posted on 8/6/20 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
OK so EDIS just checked and spark is good so fault must lie in Megasquirt hardware or software.

Paulf if you’ve got your settings i can check these against mine. If that’s all good then guess I’ve got to check my MS build again.

Would be a great help if you could, thank you

Chaz

posted on 9/6/20 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Think I’ve been a DONUT!

I’ve created the jumpers on the MS V3 board to VR signal and not HALL. I should be using HALL right? Even though EDIS uses VR ‘internally’ the signal to/from MS needs to be digital, is that correct?

Also the twisted pair for the PIP signal - are you supposed to connect to both wires, I’m sure this is correct.

Thanks again
Charlie

obfripper

posted on 9/6/20 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you're using ms2 extra firmware, follow the ms2 extra internal wiring scheme. The original megamanual is different, and it causes confusion as it comes up first on a google search.

https://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/

Dave

paulf

posted on 9/6/20 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chaz
OK so EDIS just checked and spark is good so fault must lie in Megasquirt hardware or software.

Paulf if you’ve got your settings i can check these against mine. If that’s all good then guess I’ve got to check my MS build again.

Would be a great help if you could, thank you

My old laptop with the map on it wont boot at present and so will have to hook up to the car and download the present MAP again.
I have found a link to the setup page that you may or may not have seen it details the mods neccesary to run MS1 edis setup.I will try and download the map tommorow when i get home from work,
Link http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#edis
Paul.

[Edited on 9/6/20 by paulf]

Chaz

posted on 10/6/20 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul!
paulf

posted on 11/6/20 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have got the map on my spare laptop but dont know how to attach it on here,I realized that mine is a version 2.2 mega-squirt and you are running v 3.0 but think the software settings are the same its just the configuration of the spark input from the pip signal that is different.Did you modify an existing MS or was this one built for your set up with the edis?
I will try to attach the map file again latter or could email it if you u2u me an email address.
Paul

Chaz

posted on 11/6/20 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul thanks so much I will u2u
ChrisL

posted on 12/6/20 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I had similar issues setting up a MS3 Microsquirt, the first pain was getting the correct manual to get the wiring right, then it would start and immediately die, which turned out to be an incorrectly wired MAP sensor.

U2U me your email address and I'll send through a working map, but don't use it as a base for your tuning as I'm useless at tuning and it will likely blow your engine up!

Chaz

posted on 13/6/20 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

So I’ve now got the RPM showing!

Not my injectors aren’t putting fuel in - so it continues...

No idea why yet...doh! Works with Jimstim with a 5V pull up but not on the car...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.