Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nice Mclaren F1 replica
James

posted on 3/3/21 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
Nice Mclaren F1 replica

Found these videos of this rather nice looking Mclaren F1 replica. Based (I think) in South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIMh-kXNTC8&list=PLsJ5wU_AGBYuxCrOVcBRKwS5wj-Wvl8Q_&index=1

Not sure how he got it so accurate (although I wouldn't have gone with those wheel arches myself), can you do that level of accuracy 'by eye'?

I wonder if a 3d scan of one of the more accurate 1:12 models transferred to ply sheets to make a buck might be the best way of getting an accurate model.

Then you've just got to dodge Mclaren's lawyers... ;-)

Cheers,
James

P.S. Having reached my 40's and inexplicably failed to save up the pennies required to buy my own original F1 perhaps this is the only way forward!

[Edited on 4/3/21 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

sebastiaan

posted on 3/3/21 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Stop wondering, start being the hero that is Fred W B ;-:

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=43112

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
In order to measure it myself, I made up a simple 3 axis measuring jig from alloy channel section and flat, steel rules, a straight edge and a digital vernier. Then with the aid of a colleague Andrew, I measured the offset of the body surface from the datum base at every point on a 5 mm x 5 mm grid, and recorded the measurements on a large piece of paper

fast forward 7 years, aaaand:

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
The nose completed the set of body panels, so finally I can say the body is finished! That is if your don't count the headlight arrangements and the wheel arch inner panels.

These pictures are with the panels supported on blocks, and with the wheels just placed in the wheel arches.

Plan now is to take some time to spring clean the workshop, and then start to get to grip with the suspension and chassis.

Cheers

Fred W B

It's finished!

jps

posted on 3/3/21 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
the hero that is Fred W B ;-:

Absolutely. Fred and John Bonnett (sp) both impressive and inspirational!

sheepish0001

posted on 3/3/21 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure where I found them but for the Mclaren F1 at least there are full autoCAD slices of the car ready to do an egg box buck I found these years ago so assume he could have used the same files, over the years i managed to find a few cars ready to make a buck out of countash, diablo, mercielage, gt40 to name a few, if you look long and hard enough some of them even come with chassis plans and cutting lists for materials.

If you have access to CAD you can also slice up your own cars as many of the modern driving games have good accurate models that can be exported in order to create a version of for your own choosing

as far as lawyers go i think the company in the states(Miami GT?) that makes the replicas would have more of an issue that a sole builder

James

posted on 4/3/21 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sheepish0001
Im not sure where I found them but for the Mclaren F1 at least there are full autoCAD slices of the car ready to do an egg box buck I found these years ago so assume he could have used the same files, over the years i managed to find a few cars ready to make a buck out of countash, diablo, mercielage, gt40 to name a few, if you look long and hard enough some of them even come with chassis plans and cutting lists for materials.

If you have access to CAD you can also slice up your own cars as many of the modern driving games have good accurate models that can be exported in order to create a version of for your own choosing

That could save a chunk of work. Be interesting to see how different the various models are. I just need someone to lend me their F1 for a weekend or 2!

quote:
Originally posted by sheepish0001
as far as lawyers go i think the company in the states(Miami GT?) that makes the replicas would have more of an issue that a sole builder

That DDR initially looked quite a good prospect but the more I looked, the less accurate a replica it looked! Fairly sure it's a 2 seater too isn't it?
I guess it could be a place to start. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to know if modifying someone else's work is better than starting from scratch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.