Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: robin hood
Findlay234

posted on 5/11/02 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
robin hood

friend at work is thinking of buying a robin hood 2b kit. i was trying to persuade him towards a locost.

was i right. or are the robin hoods actually alright? they are really cheap but do you suffer from that?

any help... cheers.

bsilly

posted on 5/11/02 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
ive got 2b....no problems with it....just didnt wanna weld up me own chassis.

mainly digger drivin me

Roeland Uitslager

posted on 5/11/02 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well I owned an older Hoodie and I wasn't impressed. Just have a look around on www.rhocar.co.uk and you'll get the drift.

Building a Hoodie is like building a Locost, but you keep getting the feeling that someone has robbed you of a lot of money.

Go Locost is my advise, use the chassis of the likes of Martin Keenan and you will become one happy bunny.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/11/02 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Welding up the chasis was the best bit!
Its all a bit slow and fiddly after that!

as i may have mentioned before, join the group below and ask what they think....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robinhood2b

atb

steve

Roeland Uitslager

posted on 5/11/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Most people who buy a Robin Hood are not of the welding type I guess, so that's why I gave that tip.

But I agree, the welding would have been the best part, but alas I called it quit, because of the legal trouble to get a car on the road over here legally.

theconrodkid

posted on 6/11/02 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Roeland can you not get it registered in england and import it back to holland?
it was mentioned before a long time ago on the site.

cymtriks

posted on 6/11/02 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
bendy chassis

I reckon that the bent tube chassis is possibly the least stiff structure currently available to fit under a seven type car.

Can anyone confirm an actual measured torsional stiffness for the RH chassis? I'd advise that you stick with the lowcost design or modified lowcost chassis as on my other postings.

bsilly

posted on 7/11/02 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
stiff as xxxk

mainly digger drivin me

geoff shep

posted on 15/11/02 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've built a Robin Hood and it was/is fine. It was the older monocoque design and its very stiff - perhaps too stiff really. I suspect if I ran into a brick wall, the car would stop dead and I would continue on into the scuttle but a car like this is never going to have much of a crumple zone.

I went for it for reason, there wasn't so much interest or so it seemed in the now popular locost route back then (1995), and I wanted a 'complete kit plus one donor=new car' approach. Nett result was a cpmleted 7 type car in 4 months for around £2k on the road.

Overall, it was like doing a jigsaw but with a couple of the pieces missing, and no picture on the box lid to go by! Some of the pieces needed a bit of redesign and/or beefing up and although things like the heater and wipers could possibly have been persuaded to fit into the RH, it was a damn sight easier getting mini parts.

It's a bit rough and ready round the under-scuttle area but otherwise functional. Main problem I think is practicality - the interior is not good enough to remain uncarpeted (ie left uncovered) but the weather gear is not the most convenient or well built. I think you need it to be open and unworried by water like a motorbike or well covered by a good hood etc - but thats just my opinion.

Far from putting me off however, it has whetted my appetite to go one better and build my own car from scratch so I think I'm going to do a self build locost next, possibly 4wd. Well, that's the plan this week - or perhaps a Cobra, or maybe a Blitz - but then again ..........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.