Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bright 6 and Premier Wiring Loom
phoenix70

posted on 17/6/05 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bright 6 and Premier Wiring Loom

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm the correct wiring to hook up the Bright6 Module to Premier Wiring's 2 piece Sierra Loom

TIA

Scott

mookaloid

posted on 17/6/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Probably Premier Wiring
Donners90

posted on 17/6/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the loom, but a small warning THEY ARE VERY BRIGHT.

They will be OK during the day, but at night expect to get dazzled!!!

HTH
James Rescued attachment bright6.JPG
Rescued attachment bright6.JPG

DaveFJ

posted on 17/6/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was intending to fit these, would it be possible to wire them in such a way that they are dimmer when the lights are switched on ?

I assune they use LED's so don' know how possible that is. Maybe the electrickery boffins can tell us ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

phoenix70

posted on 17/6/05 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Probably Premier Wiring

Probably, if you could ever get them to answer the phone!

phoenix70

posted on 17/6/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donners90
Not sure about the loom, but a small warning THEY ARE VERY BRIGHT.

They will be OK during the day, but at night expect to get dazzled!!!

HTH
James

I'm putting mine in the centre of the dash to avoid that problem.

jambojeef

posted on 17/6/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its easy to control the brightness of LEDs - Just connect a resistor in-line with each LED. How big your resistor is will govern how bright your LED. If you wanted to get clever you could try using LDRs which have a high resistance in low light levels and vice versa - might be intersting - kinda auto-dimming??

Geoff

Deckman001

posted on 17/6/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'll look at mine if i go to the garage on Sunday, I havn't got it wired in yet, but the conections are done and tested

Jason

Humbug

posted on 17/6/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Probably Premier Wiring

Probably, if you could ever get them to answer the phone!

Yeah - I tried phoning them, constantly engaged, then when it did ring it went into answring machine mode. No reply to my message, and no reply to the follow-up email...

wilkingj

posted on 18/6/05 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
As for the wiring problem, pick each wire from the loom, and note its function from the Green card / Documentation, then connect to the correct wire on the Bright 6. Thats all I did, and it works a treat.

Yes... They are bright, and I have also mounted them dirrectly in front of me.

The Relay Mod is one way.
You could just put a Pot (Sorry... Variable resistor to the non tecchies) in the earth line. Its really only the indicators and main Beam, that you want to Dimm, as they are the "normal" use ones and likely to be on whn you are driving. ALL the others are Warnings, and should be off, except if there is a problem, in which case you should stop and investigate anyway. I would want these to be BRIGHT

I am thinking of a Pot with a knob on the dash... then you can adjust to suiit the conditions. Or a Pot through a relay so you just throw the switch and have varaiable lighting... There are plenty of ways to do this.

PS... If you are really stuck, U2U me, and I will pull the dash out and check the colours, I have Prem Wiring and Bright 6 as well. Its easy really..

PPS... Just thought of something else...

If you put the resistor in the live wire, Make it switchable, as the 12v is used through the Ign Warning Lamp to give a reference voltage to the Alternator field coils to energise them so the Alternator gives a charge out. (Kicks it into life).
Hence the extra Resistor and Diode in the Bright 6 diagram... Otherwise you would not get enough current flow through the LED, to kick the Alternator into life.

You Might (Emphasis on MIGHT... MIGHT) give rise to charging problems, or the Ign warning light not going completely out... I am not totally sure, as I have not thought this bit through yet... Its only just come into my mind.

Just be aware of it, incase you get some funny charging problems... It could save you hours of head scratching...

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 18/6/05 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Update - HOT OFF THE PRESS

I wasnt going to Newark today, but I went and saw Mr Bright6.

I asked about the resistor mods. He confirmed about putting resistors in the +12V will affect the charging (as I thought).

Also he makes a Dimming kit for £1.99. Complete with Heatshrink sleeving.
Basically its three resistors, three bits of wire, and three bits of heat shrink.

You put the resistors in the Leads to the left and right indicators, and the Main beam light.

If you put them in the earth lead (just one resistor), the following will happen:

It WILL WORK! However, when you are on Main beam, and then indicate, the Main beam light on the bright 6 will dim / brighten in sympathy with the indiactor.

This is due to the two lights using the common earth and via your modification (resistor in the earth line). As the indicator switches on / off, it will alter the current in the Common resistor in the earth line. As this happens the voltage across the resistor will change in sympathy, which in turn will alter the voltage across the Main beam light. causing it to brighten / Dimm in sympathy with the Indicator flashing cadence.

I didnt think of this last night, I was tired, but its obvious reallly.

As I suspected the resistor in the +12V lead will affect the charging circuit. Probably not a huge ammount, but it will have an effect. I wouldnt do this mod, as I want to see the warning lights day or night.

Now... the reason for them being SO BRIGHT, is its a SVA requirement that you can see them even on a bright sunny day. They are designed to meet that specific SVA requirement.

If you want dimmer lights, forget the oil, ignition, and brake warning lights as they are 99.99% OFF.
If you want the others to be dimm, see Mr Bright6, and get his £1.99 kit.
I am not trying to plug his products... just reporting what I found out today.

So,... Whats the future...

He is bringing out a modified set of lights with Auto Dimming, via a Light dependent resistor (obvious way to do this!).

Good point is that its going to be a board that can be piggy-backed on existing boards!

Also, he is working on a timer circuit for the Low Brake fluid warning. ie switch on ign, brake warning light lights.. (Testing the light which is a SVA requirement) for a few seconds, then putting it out. Again a add-on thats compatible with the existing boards out there.

All in all the chap has been thinking and looking at his product and trying to improve it for all you builders.

I fell I have had a productive day!!

So now you all know!!..

PS.. sorry for the long post..

[Edited on 18/6/2005 by wilkingj]

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 21/6/05 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one mate.

Thanks for finding that all out.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/05 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I wasnt going to Newark today, but I went and saw Mr Bright6.

Do you have a contact/website/whatever for him?

cheers,
David

flak monkey

posted on 21/6/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I assume Mr Bright6 si the guy behind this site?

http://www.lightninglooms.co.uk/

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

splitrivet

posted on 21/6/05 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Was going to have a mess with this tonight, timer in brake light,light sensitive resistor hmm, velly interlesting,keep you posted.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Steve @ sVc

posted on 22/6/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
There is a resistor package availble for the Bright6
Regards
Steve @ sVc

David Jenkins

posted on 22/6/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Does this package permanently alter the brightness, or does it only affect it when the lights are on?

David

wilkingj

posted on 22/6/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Permanantly... Read my thread above, as they are developing a variable one that changes.

Best Regards
Geoff

DaveFJ

posted on 22/6/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Steve,

Does this package permanently alter the brightness, or does it only affect it when the lights are on?

David

wrote an email to the Bright6 blokey about this. they have kindly replied and apparently they do a resitor pack for £1.99 which is linked to the headlight switch and dimms the LEDs when the lights are switched on.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.