Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine survey
mad_skillz

posted on 27/12/02 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Engine survey

Right, can every one reply with their engine name, bhp, total car weight and 0-60mph and 30-70mpg times. Thanks v.much
Alex

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/12/02 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.4 litre ford cologne v6 that makes 130 hp as std.

The car isnt finished yet, so thats all I can offer.

atb

steve

kingr

posted on 28/12/02 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Xflow 1.6, standard from a fiesta XR2, 89 BHP is it? Or am I make it up as I go along? Anyway, it's sat on an engine stand in my garage, so it's yet to reach 60.

Kingr

zetec

posted on 28/12/02 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ford 2ltr Zetec with Jenvey t/bodies, about 175bhp, car not finished yet but under 600KG would be good.
bob

posted on 28/12/02 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
2lt pinto regulation 100+hp 5 speed type 9 to sierra diff 3.92:1 with discs all round.
not finished yet so speed of mine unkown,as for weight 600kg ish wont really know till i get it on the scales at SVA.

Findlay234

posted on 30/12/02 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
1.6ltr 4age engine. 127 bhp revving to 8000 with a lovely lightweight alloy head. still being built but looks good on paper.......
Big Stu

posted on 30/12/02 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
1300cc Crossflow, stage 2 head, twin 40's, 4 branch exhaust. About 70-85hp good for about 9ish seconds. 30-70 no idea gets to windy to look at watch after 60!
mad_skillz

posted on 30/12/02 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
nice1, i have just got alot of my parts for my locost, i have a 2.0 dohc. I have no idea what kinda performance it will have, does any one know?
Alan B

posted on 30/12/02 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mid-engine, US spec 4-AGE 112 bhp, weight around 1300 pounds 590 kg (est),
0-60 6 secs (est) 30-70 no idea.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 30/12/02 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
All this feedback is helping me too.
I've devised a 0-60 formula (yes I know it depends on a lot of factors...).

It's t(0-60)=5.814*Log(wt in pounds/hp)

For Hicost it works out at 3.6 secs....right in the actual range.

Try it out and let me know. There are some examples that don't correlate very well, but in our weight and power range it isn't too bad.

Generally speaking the cars that are slower than the formula are front engine/rear drive and any that are faster are rear or mid-engined, so I'd guess traction was the biggest factor at work.

The formula was derived from compiling the actual weights. hp and 0-60 times of many production vehicles.

[Edited on 30/12/02 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 30/12/02 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
James
I love it when you do this ,it puts the whole perspective on petrol and exploding it right.
I'm sure JC in black jacket blue jeans and hush puppies would be proud of you.

Too much editing pissed again,sorry

[Edited on 30/12/02 by bob]

[Edited on 30/12/02 by bob]

johnston

posted on 30/12/02 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
hicost u ever think bout gettin ur ecu programed with anti-lag get ur boost to kick in that bit quicker and the flames as you change for 2nd gear would make a nice design of the odd ferrari/porsche front bumper

johnston

posted on 30/12/02 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
wot turbo u runnin the smaller /later escy one or the ealier type??

have u got the jets for the ouside of the intercooler or u gonna just run the water injection?

isnt there some way of plugin in a extra injector that fires into the turbo to get it to keep spinnin??

Metal Hippy™

posted on 31/12/02 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
3.5 litre BMW engine with dogleg gearbox.

No idea about performance in the Locost but it'll be quick enough despite the slightly larger chassis that's needed. (Does 0-60 in 7.9 in the 2 tonne tank Beemer) All about mid range with that engine though imo....

218bhp, 227 lb/ft...

Hoping for max 750kg total.

You'll all have to wait and see how it ends up....

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Rorty

posted on 31/12/02 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

1300cc Crossflow, stage 2 head, twin 40's, 4 branch exhaust. About 70-85hp good for about 9ish seconds.

Is that 9ish seconds before it explodes? ..........or what?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Jon Ison

posted on 31/12/02 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Blade, 158bhp, 132@ wheels.
sub 4 sec 0-60, (3.65 best) with cheapo tyres, yoko's on now but no dry roads to try it on
30-70 not sure but pretty swift
132mph on rev limiter in 6th
under 450kgs

stops pretty quick too, except at roundabouts we forgot about (Jasper) and when i got lots a ballast in passenger seat at donnington chicane (PTM)

[Edited on 31/12/02 by Jon Ison]

jollygreengiant

posted on 31/12/02 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
gona build with 2.0is sierra (for reg) then will either swap for 3.5 V8(plus to be decided) or mi old faithfull 1660hybrid Kent lump.(twin 40's; 11:1cr; fullrace head; lightened, balanced, Nitrided, etc; race cam; piper lader rocker box; bout 180brk)

Just need to get inta me shed

[Edited on 31/12/02 by jollygreengiant]

philgregson

posted on 3/1/03 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
2.8 V6 Cologne (injection) from XR4x4 - I'm told about 150 bhp(ish). Big heavy lump I know, but loads of torque for 'B' road fun. Will consider higher state of tune if it ever gets on the road but cash is needed for other things right now.

Gearbox will be type 9 from V6 Crapi - don't know ratios.

De Dion Rear with LSD from above XR4x4 - don't know ratios again I'm afraid.

Total weight is hoped to be sub 600 kg.

Dont know how fast this will accelerate but it won't be slow.

Phil.

Liam

posted on 3/1/03 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Alloy 24V 2.7 Honda V6 from police Rover 827. Just over the weight of a 2.0 pinto and 180bhp/170lbft. Good runners are 10-a-penny.

Phil - you dont happen to have any of that 4x4 still laying around do you? I'd be interested in the front axle and maybe the 4x4 sump.

Liam

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/1/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Which gearbox mates up to the 2.7 lump? I have access to a good one for peanuts but never considered it because of the box dilema...

... tell me quick before it goes
Mark

johnston

posted on 3/1/03 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
need to b careful wit honda some rotate in the oppisite direction to the norm
Liam

posted on 3/1/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
This Honda goes the right way.

As for RWD gearboxes I thought there aren't any but I've heard some people saying LDV Sherpa van, or something like that. Can't vouch for that. I'm making an adaptor plate to my 4x4 Cossie box. I actually have an adaptor plate to fit that engine to a toyota celica/supra box (when they were the same) that I dont need.

It's physically a large engine (doub't it'd go in a standard chassis without widening the tunnel to move it backwards, or just widening the whole chassis). Oh and wiring it up will be...time consuming, to say the least.

Lovely engines and they never break, but there are simpler options for a locost. I hereby accept no responsibility for any future headaches...

Liam

ijohnston99

posted on 4/1/03 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
The 2.7 has been used in MGB's in the past, mated to either an LT77 (Weak and hard to find) or a Type nine with an adapter.

I imagine that the R380 box would do the job too (It's a new version of LT77), it's available in 2wd and 4wd (Land Rover).

Ian

Northy

posted on 5/1/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
2L 8 Valve Vauxhall Engine from a Cav SRI 130, on standard injection. 130 BHP not sure of torque but more than the 16V lump.

Mated to Type 9 box with alloy bellhousing.

Still being built but hoping for 0-60 in less than 6 sec or I'll spend more money on it!

Weight - as light as poss, plenty of carbon fibre! Don't know what an Avon weighs when finished.

Graham

philgregson

posted on 5/1/03 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Liam,

I got my XR4x4 parts from a friend who breaks them to keep his rally car in the style to which it is accustomed.

He's in spain a the moment but if there's anything you want I can ask if he's got it.

Cheers,

Phil

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.