Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra A pillar wires
santcliff

posted on 20/1/03 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra A pillar wires

OK, here is a question.

I’ve wrestled the loom out of my donor sierra, and managed to do it without cutting too many wires. However, there were small bundles of wires disappearing up the A Pillars each side. I think the passenger side was interior light and drivers side was rear screen heater (but it seemed like a lot of wires for that). Has anyone got any more info on what they are?

Thanks

Stuart

One o' cross beams gone owt askew ont' treddle

kingr

posted on 20/1/03 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know this for a fact, but I would suspect that if there are lots of wires going rearward, they're probably for the rear lights aswell.

Kingr

scutter

posted on 20/1/03 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
They could also be for the speakers and electric windows/mirrors.

Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark H

posted on 20/1/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
& central locking.

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/1/03 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
on the granada, made at the same time, that is basically a similar concept, the rear going wires to the lights ran either side of the tranny tunnel. Could very well be electricals for the back doors.....

atb

steve

santcliff

posted on 21/1/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
speakers and rear lights go along sills each side. there is no central locking

still baffled......

s

Peteff

posted on 22/1/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
spare wires

The wiring is for the central locking and speakers and electric windows. If the stuff isn't fitted the wires are just left unconnected. The wiring harness is the same for most of the range, it saves on production costs. I used the Sierra wiring but the only piece I used intact was the bit that connects to the column switches. Get that bit sorted and the job is easy, just get the bits you need like lights and horn etc. and don't spend too much time on the unnecessary stuff. I spent half a day getting the wiring out of the donor and needed a wheelbarrow to move it round. I ended up using about a quarter of what I got out of it so get the wire cutters out and leave the extras in the car.

yours, Pete.

santcliff

posted on 22/1/03 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, maybe central locking (but i would have expected that to be the same both sides?)

It is intersteing the differing approaches. Some people say rip it out and worry later, others are more careful and some say just use it as an experience so you know what's what on the new loom that you MUST buy.

I have to say i'm quite looking forward to stripping the loom down to get rid of the excess. When i've done that then i'll probably recommend people buy a new one. Personal choice i guess.

s

Mr G

posted on 24/1/03 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
The rear heated screen comes in from the bottom near the lights and runs up the rear pillar into the tailgate at the top. The wires you have going up the pillars are for the vanity mirror illumination and courtesy lights. As mentioned earlier alot of the wiring is in place for higher specs even if your model isn't. If i remember rightly the feed for the rear passenger courtesy light goes up the front A pillar and along the roofline too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.