Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: govt seeing sense at last ?
steve_gus

posted on 21/11/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
govt seeing sense at last ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4454468.stm

although of course no one would want one next door.

Im concerned that in 15 - 20 years time we will have a major energy crisis. We are beginning to be heavily dependant on european gas imports, and we have let our 300 year supply of coal fall into disrepair (thanks mrs T).

Not every day is a windy day.

If WW2 was to happen now, Hitler wouldnt have to send the luftwaffe over. Just a man in a flat cap with a spanner to turn off the gas supply in Holland or Russia.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 21/11/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nuclear is the way to go at the end of the day. Its a sustainable source of energy, that produces no greenhouse gasses etc. ALthough the waste can be hard to deal with. But it wont be long before they figure out something to do with it.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

smart51

posted on 21/11/05 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I never really got the whole nuclear waste problem. Uranium is dug out of the ground in rocks where it makes up a few parts per million of the volume and doesn't cause much of a problem. We concentrate it, use it for a few decades and then don't know what to do with it.

PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT IN THE SAME CONCENTRATION AS IT WAS WHEN YOU DUG IT UP.

It was always radioactive. It is still radioactive. It will be radioactive in 1000 years. Put it back where you found it and it will be no more of a problem than if you left it alone, no?

OK, so there is intermediate level waste to deal with and so on but the Uranium and the metals it decays to are much the same as they would have been.

MikeR

posted on 21/11/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
don't get me started on the coal fields ........

Still can't believe how they justified closing down parkside.

Previous year they made a profit and the managers where told to spend money doing the place up. They did so no profit was made.

Review the profitable pits and ..... parkside doesn't make a profit, close it down. They'd just opened a new seam, it was going great and they had coal merchants driving 100+ miles for the coal it was that good.

ARGH - they even filled in the mine shaft, despite wives protesting for the best part of a year on the gates.

going off to rant some more now !

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/11/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
At the risk of hijacking this thread....

Does anyone know if any research has been done into the mass self delusion that thousands of people suffer every 4 - 5 years?

Everytime an election comes round we cast our votes safe in the knowledge that the people we are voting for are not (despite all evidence to the contrary) complete and total morons. Then 6 months later hitting our heads and saying "d'OH!"

How many more times are we gonna do this?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
And another thing....

Take a look at this link...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4295812.stm

Has anyone else just soiled themselves or is it just me? I see the post office and british rail providing supreme service these days!

flak monkey

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
At least the Tories didnt get in!!...Then we would be in a right shite state

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
radioactivity is down to halflife. U238 (commonest) has a halflife of 4.47 billion years. U235 (this is the one used as fuel i believe) is a little less stable, with a halflife of 700 million years. Ie, they are very stable and harmless compounds. The products of fission are a lot less stable, and will be very active but for a lot less time - milliseconds for the most reactive. Hence the waste products are more dangerous as they decay a lot faster than uranium itself.

Remember, its the decaying that makes it bad, not the halflife

Id stick the waste into the sun

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
At least the Tories didnt get in!!...Then we would be in a right shite state

Personally I think Billy Connelly has got it right...anyone that shows any interest in politics should automatically be banned from ever being a politician.

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

This thought (or at least space) had occured to me too. It surely can't be prohibitively expensive to stick it on a one way rocket into space can it? Everything up there is radioactive anyway!

Simon

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think Guy Fawkes had the right idea!

ATB

Simon

The Shootist

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Nuclear waste is a myth....

It's re-cyclable.....just reprocess with new uranium.

The public has been trained to raise such a stink about nukes here in the US, it's cheaper to make new fuel and store the old spent fuel, but those spend rods can be re-refined and the usable leftover made use of.

New plant designs can be continuously refueled without down-time, and without enough fuel mass in the reactor at any give time to go "Critical".

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
All it needs is another severn crossing, from Minehead to Milford Haven, run hydroelectric power off it, you could power all of europe from that, solve 90% of all energy needs.

As for the impact on the environment, have you ever seen the beach at Weston Super Mare?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

iank

posted on 21/11/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
quote:

This thought (or at least space) had occured to me too. It surely can't be prohibitively expensive to stick it on a one way rocket into space can it? Everything up there is radioactive anyway!

Erm, this was a joke right...
1. waste is very dense so it might not be as cheap as you think.
2. the first one to turn into a firework 3 miles up spreading finely atomised waste over 10's of thousands of square miles would be a bad thing - right?

DorsetStrider

posted on 22/11/05 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
quote:

Erm, this was a joke right...
1. waste is very dense so it might not be as cheap as you think.
2. the first one to turn into a firework 3 miles up spreading finely atomised waste over 10's of thousands of square miles would be a bad thing - right?

Nah mate. What they do right is they build the rocket in orbit.... then beam the waste to it using a transporter... rocket then flies off to the nearest convenient sun/black hole/ spacial annomoly. I seen it on star trek once and it didn't look that hard to do.

dl_peabody

posted on 22/11/05 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
I always thought politics would be better if politicans were drafted. Not some guy thats been begging and oweing favors for half his life. Some mindless unimaginative burecrate spending most his time courting businesses and lobby groups only to try to run of a higher office.

Find a respectable successful business man and MAKE him serve under a close watch. Other wise you get someone owned by big business or big oil. (yes, you dont have t say it but someone will point out the obivious).

Anyone that doesnt want the job sounds qualified.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 22/11/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
As for wind, i'm sitting in the biggest windfarm in Britain at the moment and its producing exactly...Nowt! Great when there is a wind though.... Pity its so unreliable!
Dunc

posted on 22/11/05 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Did a drill a 100 metre hole in the ground in everyone's garden, stick down 2 thick cables of different material and let the temperature difference between the surface and the deep generate the trickery to power your house/charge your car/power the jacuzzi. Best thing is, the colder the surface gets the more trickery you generate for heating.
NS Dev

posted on 22/11/05 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
don't get me started on the coal fields ........

Still can't believe how they justified closing down parkside.

Previous year they made a profit and the managers where told to spend money doing the place up. They did so no profit was made.

Review the profitable pits and ..... parkside doesn't make a profit, close it down. They'd just opened a new seam, it was going great and they had coal merchants driving 100+ miles for the coal it was that good.

ARGH - they even filled in the mine shaft, despite wives protesting for the best part of a year on the gates.

going off to rant some more now !

Hear Hear!!

could not agree more

John Watts

posted on 22/11/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
New Nuclear Power Stations

OK so let's assume the argument is won/lost and they will be built. Now everone's wondering, where?

Errmm, aren't there about 20 odd decomissioned/decomissioning dotted around the country? Why not build the new ones in the same place?

Already knackered the ground, must be alright for water supply else wouldn't be there in the first place. Local population used to living next door to it so less uproar (well, in theory).

Is it just me?

marktigere1

posted on 22/11/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Did make me chuckle when some local residents in Cambridge were happy about a wind farm NOT being built in their backyards.

How would they feel about a dirty great coal fired power station then? Bunch of snobs, anyone want to build a wind generator near me can do so and if there is no wind I'll simply not use my computer/TV etc etc

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

All it needs is another severn crossing, from Minehead to Milford Haven, run hydroelectric power off it, you could power all of europe from that, solve 90% of all energy needs.

By Mark Allanson

But then how all the LNG tankers get in to all of our terminals!!!

In case anyone didn't know I live in Milford Haven. Can anyone else claim to live in a town with more LNG import terminals than nightclubs

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.