Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pumps n brake lights
Jon Ison

posted on 27/3/03 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel pumps n brake lights

spent a while scratchin head over a dodgy fuel pump, from time to time blew a fuse but could'nt find owt wrong, then in a moment of inspiration i realised the odd time it did blow i had just braked too,

you guessd it, running of same fuse, i had used trailer 7 core to rear of car, and one of the cores had gone down to earth, yeap the blue one i used for the brake lights, luckily i had not used the black wire so i switched over to that, but the cable as no aparent damage along its length and as only been in just over a year,

Moral, don't use the blue wire for your brake lights ???? and don't run the fuel pump of the same fuse, all boll**s of course, but just thought i'd share the warning on trailer 7 core wire. got there in the end,

chrisg

posted on 27/3/03 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
That fuse blew because that was the first time you used the brakes since you've been on the road!!!

Bloody maniac

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Jon Ison

posted on 27/3/03 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/3/03 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
i think on my car the std fuse for the pump is 20 amps. that would be a bit big for a brake lamp which could be fused at 5 or 10 amps.

I used 18 fuses on my car and still run out of capacity!

atb

steve

Jasper

posted on 28/3/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using 7 core trailer wire too, and have used all 7, what have I got extra????:

Tail lights
Brake lights
Fog Light
Fuel Pump
Fuel Sender
Left Ind
Right Ind

And BTW, did you pass MOT with the LED fog light? As they are eligidly not road legal.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/3/03 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally, you should have seperate feeds for at least one of the rear lights, or the number plate. This stops a single failure putting your whole car in darkness.

I also had to mount an impact switch to stop the efi pump running. This goes to the efi box, and needs a further feed backwards.

I also have a reverse light.

Then there are the two abs cables.

Nothing like keeping things simple

atb

steve

Jon Ison

posted on 29/3/03 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
its a bike pump, 15A fuse fitted.

found the prob today though, went for MOT and the prop had caught the cable when i had "bottom'd" her over a speed bump, dint think the axle could move that far, sorted with new bump stops, the car is 74 age related, don't need a fog light so not sure of the legality of it, but aint bus's running led rear lights these days,

BTW, shame bout the pier.

Jasper

posted on 29/3/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
LED's for fogs have to be behind diffuser lens, cos you need to be able to see then from an angle, and undiffused LED's point in one direction.

It's a real bummer about the pier, lovely building. Lots of people recon it was started by the owners of the other pier who've been bloking the redevelopment.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.