Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Italian wiring, now that is a laugh!
Nick Davison

posted on 3/4/03 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Italian wiring, now that is a laugh!

Has anyone any info or wiring diagrams for Lancia wiring as I have to adapt the loom from a Thema to fit the Locost (lancia engine fitted) but I have no diagrams.

Now stop laughing, I know the reputation Italian vehicles have for electrics or lack of them and I know that it will be an up hill struggle but I won't let it beat me!

Any info would be helpful

Nick

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/4/03 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
std italian wiring on a lancia thema when first imported was that if a piece of wire got to some-where, then thats what it was connected to!

I jest not elctricians used to make a fortune rewiring lacia & fiat so that things worked on them when they came here on vehicles of that age.

Simplest idea is to look at a ford electrical diagram and just transpose the components. 12 volts is 12volts positive or negative. just use a bit of common sense.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Viper

posted on 3/4/03 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
i owned a Ducati once, every time i rode it it broke down due to the wonderfull electrics..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 3/4/03 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
if its the ignition and injection u need ill have a look in my data books and make a drawing,need the year and engine size,2.0 i spose and what type of inj it has

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Nick Davison

posted on 4/4/03 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote

"i owned a Ducati once, every time i rode it it broke down due to the wonderfull electrics.."

That was because you made the common mistake of riding it. Old Ducatis are just for looking at and listening to!!

theconrodkid

That is about the size of it. I have all the wiring from the car with connections switches etc, some will have to be removed and some kept. The problem areas I am expecting to find are removing wires from the fuse box, old dashboard area and instrument display.
The ignition system is a Jetronic and the engine is a 2.0L turbo (pictures in the photo archive) from a D reg 1986 car. The turbo management may be slightly problematic regarding items as dump valves etc.

I expect that I could probably work out the majority of the problems given time but a wiring diagram would be worth its weight in gold.

Nick

eddymcclements

posted on 4/4/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Oi! I still own a Ducati, made in 1996, and all the wiring connectors are those expensive, waterproof ones with rubber closures. Like these ones from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Only had two electrical problems on it, and one of those was the starter solenoid - made by Hitachi in Japan!

Eddy

Nick Davison

posted on 4/4/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
OK
I was really referring to the old ducatis from the 70/80.
To be truthful if I could afford one, new or old, I would have one yesterday.
But you can't deny the bad reputation they had a few years ago!

Nick

Nick Davison

posted on 4/4/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Also

Even the old 900sssssss were more reliable than my existing bikes.
1958 BSA A10SR
1961 BSA A10GF

Nick

eddymcclements

posted on 4/4/03 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
The big problem I had was recurrent failure of the rectifier/regulator. One time it failed on the autostrada just outside Milan (we were going to watch the WSB at Monza) and I was stuck there until the Monday morning when the shops opened up, after all my so-called mates bu66ered off back to Blighty. I was woken during the night by a stand-up row outside my hotel bedroom between a young couple - the bloke was obviously pi$$ed and his fiancee was giving him a right earful. Turned out to be Jamie Whitham and Andrea!
To cap it all, once I'd fixed the bike and was heading off northwards, I was pulled over by a couple of Italian police for having noisy exhausts. On a 916! In Italy! Anyway, I pointed out that within the hour I'd be over the border into Switzerland and no longer their problem they let me go. They did ask to see my licence, but that had blown out of my ruckrack when it unzipped at about 120mph on the way down off the Alps a couple of days previously...but that's another story!

Cheers,

Eddy

Peteff

posted on 4/4/03 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had an Alfasud and the electrics on that were amazing. I didn't go out after dark because people used to think I was flashing at them. But the engine was brilliant, it didn't like Bosch plugs though.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Nick Davison

posted on 13/4/03 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
theconrodkid

Any luck with the wiring digrams?

Nick

theconrodkid

posted on 14/4/03 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
need to know what year,what injection system or you running carbs etc

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Nick Davison

posted on 14/4/03 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
The injection system is a Jetronic, the ignition is Bosch and the engine is a 2.0L turbo (pictures in the photo archive) from a D reg 1986 car
Nick Davison

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Now I have some doubts so I've just had a look and there is a Bosch controll box (ECU I think), a Magnetti Marreli controll box (Ignition Controll) and the air inlet meter is Bosch.
I hope this makes sense.
Nick

theconrodkid

posted on 14/4/03 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
nothing italian makes sense but ill have a look n see

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

theconrodkid

posted on 16/4/03 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
right got the wiring diag for inj,someone borrowed the ignition book ,mail me yr addy and ill send a copy

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.