Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Balasted - How to tell
sweston

posted on 28/4/03 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Balasted - How to tell

How do I tell if the ignition circuit is balasted ?

I wiring loom is out off an old Capri (early 1970's) I think. If not then its from a Triumph. Can't be specific as this is a 2nd hand project (I didn't start it, I am just finishing it). I say that as the instruments are out off a Triumph.

Simple test ? say with multi-meter ?

Peteff

posted on 28/4/03 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
A ballast resistor cuts the running voltage to the coil to 9v ish. The Ford ones were either a ceramic block with a wire a bit like an old domestic fuse or a long grey wire which was usually routed on the inner wing somewhere to dispel heat as they do get warm. The multi meter should do the trick, check it on the coil feed. It should be 12v ish while starting then drop when the key is released. This is to give a boost while the starter is using power. If it needs a ballast resistor and none is fitted to a points type system it will burn the points and capacitor ( Mine did)

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Chris Leonard

posted on 28/4/03 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
In my loom - MKII of 1980 vintage it was a thick pick wire that ran next to the coil wire in the loom with the rest of the wires

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.