Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Light
uberf1end

posted on 3/6/03 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Light

I have an intermittent problem with my brake light.

I first noticed it when I returned from a drive and thought (for some reason) I would test it. It didn't work.

I later had my car off the road for a couple of weeks while I changed the pads and clutch.

I then thought I'd test again as I took her out of the garage to test the brakes. It worked.

Satisfied (stupidly), I left it at that for a few weeks. However, when I decided to test it again, it didn't work. This time, it was, again, when I got back from an hour's driving.

It works with a pressure switch in the brake lines.

Is there any reason why it would work 'from cold' but not after a run-out?

I would have thought that a pressure switch was more likely to work after I had driven the car for a bit than immediately after taking it out of the garage?!?

I have new discs on the way and intend to bleed the whole system and, possibly, replace the switch once new discs and pads are fitted.

If, however, this doesn't rectify it, I suppose I am going to have to check the wiring.

I didn't build the car and electronics is my weakest field so I would greatly appreciate a brief (or not) lecture on a brake light circuit with pressure switch.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 3/6/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I hate intermittent electrical faults! You have my sympathy....

Assuming the front brake hydraulics are working properly(?) I'd check the electrical connections.

I'd try cleaning and tightening the connections on the pressure switch and in the fuse box with emery paper and try again. If it's an older car then fingers crossed that might be it.

If it's an old loom reused it's more likely to be an oxidised contact in the fuse box - in my experience.

If not, then perhaps try a new pressure switch, they are not very expensive. (Don't forget to bleed the front brakes before you test drive it!)

other than that.. I dunno!

Dave

Edit: I assumed it's one switch only and in the front brakes circuit.

[Edited on 3/6/03 by Dave Ashurst]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.