Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford engine!
Jon Leeper

posted on 16/9/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ford engine!

Project currently stalled as suitable engine cannot be found! I have been looking for a renault 25 with the V6 and transaxle box, no joy anywhere! On the "for sale" folder there is a ford cologne v6 from a 4x4 with the gearbox for a very cheap price. The question is this, can I adapt the gearbox just to use the old front wheel drive for a mid engined rear wheel drive car? I know very little about the ford running gear and gearbox design layout! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I am getting frustrated about not moving forward with any useful work on the car!

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 16/9/03 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jon,

I don't know 100%, but I'd think the 4x4 would have a regularish gearbox with a propshaft running forward to front diff.

Not ideal for mid-engined useage IMO.

Have you ruled out a transverse unit?
Or definitely must be longditudinal?

Alan B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Leeper

posted on 16/9/03 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Not ruled out anything at this stage! Just having great problems finding a suitable engine/gearbox combination! The Renault V6 seemed a perfect solution as it comes with the transverse box as standard, but I cannot find a single one! Have been thinking that the same engine was fitted to various Volvos and, I think, Peugeots as well and therefore I should be able to mate it to a Renault box easily. Cost is the major factor though and finding a cheep donor is proving very difficult. I am not sure if I am looking in the wrong places but I am starting to think that this is all very difficult, not the fun project it should be! Also the delay is starting to wear me down :-( Still all things come to he who waits!

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

kb58

posted on 16/9/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Have you done your required one year of reading (and rereading) design books? Surely an engine will show up over that time.
tadltd

posted on 16/9/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried looking at Audi's? As far as I know, all their installations are all in-line (i.e. north-south in the chassis) with a transaxle driving the front wheels, same as the Renault. At least they were up until the 80 was replaced by the A4... (et al)

I hear the 1.8 turbo engine goes some...

Steve.

robinbastd

posted on 16/9/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Jon,
Ford Mondeo V6. It's fwd,probably got cable gear change,rear discs and they are out there and getting cheaper by the day.
No fannying about trying to mate gearboxes and surely there is a tail -ended one in a breakers somewhere. Isnt Cleave (not sure of the spelling) near you?
Hope this helps,
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Jon Leeper

posted on 18/9/03 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
kb58

posted on 16/9/03 at 16:37
Have you done your required one year of reading (and rereading) design books? Surely an engine will show up over that time.

Yes! Have done the required reading - but was not activly looking for a donor as did not situate the estimate! ie I have let my research dictate the outcome! Either that or I was to busy doing other things to start looking round scrappies! ;-)

I am starting to think that I am not looking in the right places as no one else has such problems locating donors! Any handy hints on the best places to search? I have tended to avoid scrapyards as i don't think that I will be able to get a running engine and all of the anciliaries very easily. I will always forget something and return to find out that I have missed the boat! I was looking for a running donor so I could clutter up the neighbourhood with another scrap car as I dismantle it and then when I forget something it should still be there!
Any assistance greatfully recieved - as always

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

auzziejim

posted on 18/9/03 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
this may help you. no connection

Renault V6

cheers

James

Jon Leeper

posted on 18/9/03 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
auzziejim

posted on 18/9/03 at 14:29
this may help you. no connection

Renault V6

cheers

James

Thanks for that I have been looking for about 6 months! Know where there are any?

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

timf

posted on 18/9/03 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
click on the v6 bit and theres one there
Jon Leeper

posted on 18/9/03 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Doh!
Sorry just call me Homer!

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 19/9/03 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Saab V6?

From something like a mid 90's 9000 Griffin. (See www.saabscene.co.uk for specs or guidance from their forum)

Or stuff the V6 & go for a 2.3 4 cylinder saab turbo for 200+ brake, direct injection and tunable boost!

Schweet

ATB

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

philgregson

posted on 8/10/03 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Renault 21 (in 2l format) have the same transaxle as the 25 as far as I'm aware and are as common and cheap as a very cheap common thing.

If you can't find a V6 the 2l injection fom the 21 is a smashing engine although I don't know how tunable it is.

Finaly, isn't the Rover V8 commonly fitted to a Renault transaxle in kit cars.

I too have had the Renault plan for a future mid-engined project (not that I'll ever finish the LOCOST) I prefer the idea of a longitudinal engine and transaxle to a transverse engine for weight distribution reasons.

P.S. The weight distribution issue has been discussed at great length in the past so I really don't want to start it again.

KennyC

posted on 14/10/03 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cracking scrappie near here - don't know how he makes any money though !
this boy just pulls all the engines and boxes out and leaves them in a big greasy rusting pile ! - as i say not good for his business - great for idea's !
the ford 4x4 box is as described before - ie std direction as per sierra with short prop running forwards to small hang-on diff unit.
however - Subaru 4x4 box is very tasty indeed !! - as it usually runns a boxer engine it is like a transaxle at the front with a prop coming out the back ! - you could use it as a transaxle with a conversion plate for the engine and use the prop out put as an Indycar style starter ! - drop the weight of a starter motor !! (ok maybe that's taking it a wee bit too far but you get the picture !)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.