Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hella backlights
badding

posted on 13/11/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
hella backlights

Hi,

I 've bought the following lights for my MK indy, what is the best way to mount them to the rear wings, any pics would defenately help... Rescued attachment CIMG2128.JPG
Rescued attachment CIMG2128.JPG

omega 24 v6

posted on 13/11/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
From memory (fitted them at work a while ago) doesn't the outer ring have 3 mounting points for the inner light?? If so use the inner light as a template to drill your wings and then screw them together from inside the wing i.e put the screw thought the wing then the inner light then screw into the outer ring.
Oh and DO NOT use too long a screw as it'll go through the outer ring mounting hole (which is blind) and short out/let water in, to the circuit board area. (Apprentices don't you just wanna kill them sometimes)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

badding

posted on 13/11/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, But I saw people using some kind of distance rings, I don't want to rub the wiring against the tyre.
omega 24 v6

posted on 13/11/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can't say I've ever seen distance rings.

Have you tried the hella website??

[Edited on 13/11/07 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

bigrich

posted on 13/11/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
have a look on the hellfire site as i'm sure Phil,Steve and Keith used them on their build, or maybe a u2u for info

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

jabbahutt

posted on 14/11/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using those on an Indy. I'm currently trying to use the carbon effect surrounds that SVC sell. I've needed to increase the size of the hole for the led outer ring to fit through the housing.

I'm just trying to work out how to securely attach the whole unit to the wing.

As mentioned earlier I'm trying to make a jig with a larger hole in the middle for the centre light rear plug to pass through with three smaller holes matching the ones on the outer ring.

I hope that I'll be able to put a set screw through the three small holes from the inside of the wing and pull the whole assembly tight with the housing clamped between the outer led ring light and the rear wing.

hope that makes sense, if not I'll post some pictures when I give it a go hopefully this weekend.

Cheers
Nigel

Black Cat

posted on 14/11/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've used these lights on my Tiger Avon.

You need to use the single lamp housing units that can be obtained from SVC or Europa, they cost about £12 each, this will bring the lighting unit forward a few center meters to give you better clearance from the back of the fitting to the tyre.

To get the outer ring unit to fit into the housing unit you need to cut away the inner rim of the housing unit so that the outer ring will fit in, this will be a perfect fit. In this process you will take away the three fixing holes in the housing unit, but that not a problem.

In the outer ring there are three holes that, if my memory serves me correctly are for screws which I felt would not secure the unit very well so decided to try an alternative method of securing the unit into the housing.

The three holes in the outer unit were carefully drilled out to suit a small rivnut and these were glued in with Araldite. Drilling out the reflector ones was quite easy but be very careful when drilling out the LED stop light ones.

A center hole for the wiring was cut into the rear arch together with the corresponding holes for the rivnuts in the outer rings, the outer ring was then placed into the housing unit, while the inner lamp was fed through from the wheel side and bolted through into the outer ring and tighten up.

Hope thats clear, well it worked for me and theres a couple of photos on my site if you care to look.

You can see its a Tiger Avon as I've had to cut the rear arches to make them fit correctly.

Regards Steve

Hellfire

posted on 15/11/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
We've used these rear lights and made our own spacers from some MDPE ducting we found. Like these;

Phil

Looks like this when finished;

[Edited on 15-11-07 by Hellfire]

badding

posted on 20/11/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Could not find suitable rings, so i'm gonna make my own for the hella lights...

Some 0,5 mm thick alu, rivnuts, some CF and resin and my drill to let the rings turn and apply the resin... Rescued attachment CIMG2131.JPG
Rescued attachment CIMG2131.JPG

badding

posted on 20/11/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
finished ring only need some trimming and a rubber at the back so it won't scratch the rear wing. Rescued attachment CIMG2136.JPG
Rescued attachment CIMG2136.JPG

Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a set of 4 moulded black plastic spacer rings to take the 95mm lights. Basically a plain black version of the SVC carbon effect housings that sell at £12 each. They are 25mm / 1" deep if you are interested??
badding

posted on 21/11/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
I've got a set of 4 moulded black plastic spacer rings to take the 95mm lights. Basically a plain black version of the SVC carbon effect housings that sell at £12 each. They are 25mm / 1" deep if you are interested??

Nope, my rings a nearly finished, anyway thanks for the offer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.