Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What does this do?, where does it go?
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
What does this do?, where does it go?

Having removed the loom from my donor a few months ago, I am now thinning it out ready for fitting. I labelled everything as I removed it - or so I thought, I have no worries with welding, bodywork is good, mechanical knowlege is enough to get by on most things, but wiring is a bleeding black art.

I have found several connector which are not labelled and have sussed most, some are not used, but this a mystery.

Help!!! Rescued attachment Sensor Thing1.jpg
Rescued attachment Sensor Thing1.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 26/10/03 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
its a switch.! Maybe door, handbrake etc. depends on what features you donor had, i never saw one of those on mine...
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it is a standard switch, the bit on the end seems to be some sort of optical sensor, flywheel sensor perhaps?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 26/10/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Might be the fuel cutout\reset, can you remember where it was on the car?.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Its less than 18" from the N/S headlamp, could be the ambient temp sensor (Ghia donor with electric EVERYTHING)

JoelP

posted on 26/10/03 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
maybe the metal bit is a bi-metalic strip, and the other bit measures where it is? a long shot and there must be easier ways to measure temperature...
Mk-Ninja

posted on 26/10/03 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking through the manual, the temp sensor is normaly fitted in the air intake for the heating system. But it could be the ice sensor.

Does any of the thing move or is it a soild state type switch?

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
No moving parts, the metal part looks more like a locator than anything to do with the switch, I looks like a lens on the end of the sensor, I'm going with the ice sensor theory for the moment, but I won't cut it out until I am sure

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/10/03 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that cos no-one has seen it before, then it's pretty safe to cut it out.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

theconrodkid

posted on 26/10/03 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
temp sensor is a small can looking thing,never seen that before so aim it in the bin

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Rob Lane

posted on 26/10/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like the reluctor sensor for the electronic ignition.
Does engine have a crank pulley with a toothed looking ring around it?
The sensor should fit facing that on a bracket or it may be a flywheel version. In that case it fits through a hole at rear of block.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
It would not reach the flywheel, I'll check the front pulley tomorrow, good job I haven't cut it out!

Talking of cutting out, I may have cut out more than I should have, several bound cables went up the O/S A pillar (I thought for the sunroof) so I have removed them. Its got a manual sunroof - shit. I think the rear light loom must go through the roof and not through my carefully preserved sill cables.

I intend using trailor cable for the rear end to simplify things so it may not be a poblem I will see

JoelP

posted on 26/10/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
i think i worked out that these were for the courtesy light etc, maybe something else. Mine all got cut out too, that may not be too comforting with my history of mess ups!

Rear lights do go thru the sills on my sierra, i followed all the colours. On the N/S there are various extras, the fuel sender wire and plate lights.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Reassuring about the sill cables, the roof wires were quite heavy gauge though

Stu16v

posted on 26/10/03 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just because it didnt have an electric sunroof, it doesnt mean there wasnt wiring for one....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would also account for all the other ghost connectors I have in the loom

have you seen the wiring for the heated screen - thinking of using it as a tow rope!!

DrEagle

posted on 26/10/03 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I recognise that sensor. Took one off my Granada. According to Haynes its the "Air Temperature Sensor"

So there you go!
We have now learnt that they are fitted to several ford models…
..all we now need to know is “what the hell does it do (other than the obvious) and do we need it!”

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/10/03 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
If its cold outside - I will probable know about it!!

JoelP

posted on 26/10/03 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
if theres ice on the tash, its cold. Otherwise, face it like a man!! lol
DrEagle

posted on 26/10/03 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
That reminds me of that joke about the chap from the North Pole who took his skidoo in to the garage for fixing.
Later in the day he walks back to the garage to collect it.
The engineer looks up from the job he is on and says “looks like you’ve blown a seal!”
“No” said the chap “it’s just a touch of frost on my lip!”

Sorry!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.