Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: light rules
JoelP

posted on 15/11/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
light rules

Hi all, just trying to get the rules on how the lights must be wired up. this is what i think is right:

- hazards must be live all the time
- fog only on with dip or full beam, not sides
- reverse not needed.
- parking lights not needed?

thats all i can think of, i guess hazards and indicators want to be on seperate fuses.

any ideas or comments?

and also, when using the full beam does the dipped beam go out? and does anyone know the wattages of the dipped and full beams? or are they compined in one bulb?

thanks all...

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
OK - I'll have a go!

Hazards live at all times (ign off or on)
Fog - maybe can work with sides only (I have owned 'real cars' that worked that way)
Reverse not needed
Parking lights? If you mean sidelights then yes, you must have them so that you can park in places where you need to show where you are!

When you switch on full beam the dipped goes out. You usually get 2 filaments in one bulb, 60W/55W I think (anyone?)

Hope this helps!

David

P.S. If you are new to vehicle wiring then I suggest that you get a good book - I found "Car Builder's Manual" by Lionel Baxter (Haynes) gave a very clear illustration of what's involved in wiring a car. Disclaimer: there are others! Probably worth a look in your local library for a copy - have a look, then decide whether you want to buy it.

[Edited on 15/11/03 by David Jenkins]

JoelP

posted on 16/11/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
sure i replied to this last night, must been nailed....

anyway, thanks for your answer david, sounds right. Does that mean that the side lights must be independent of the ignition? my normal car isnt...

also, does anyone know the wattage of 'normal' headlights? an old thread suggested 240w for the pair, but mr haines reckons that each needs a seperate 20amp fuse.

ps i have a copy of that book, i'll dig it out for a re-read!

madforfishing

posted on 16/11/03 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
On tintops you can usually leave just one sidelight on depending on which side of the street you are parking on at night.
I seem to recall it was done by dropping the idicator lever down to the relevent side with the sidelights on, then turning them off.
Dunno how you'd go about that though.
I wouldn't want to park on the street at night where I live though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 16/11/03 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
the easiest way to get the sidelights on is to use a perminant live fuse i guess, but then they are both on the same fuse. someone recommended using seperate fuses for left and right lights, so that if one failed there would still be a light on. This implys three perminant live fuses would be needed (hazard, left side/tail and right side/tail), then if you have fan, indicators, horn, headlights x2 and all other lights, this gives 5 more fuses, and i dont really want 8 in all. bit of a headache.

anyone care to recommend what fuses they have used if they have finished?! Thanks anyone....!

VinceGledhill

posted on 19/11/03 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel.

Headlights are 55w each which indicates using ohms law that they will consume 4.58 (call it 5) Amps each. Now with the headlights on (dip) and a pull on the switch for main (I.E. Flash) you can get the main beam and the dip beam on at the same time.

So.... for the lights.... a 20 amp fuse is on the edge + 30% margin 6 amps. A 25 amp fuse should be sufficient.

Sidelights are 5 watts each. Wire them up directly from the fuse box and not via the ignition. Mine last car was an MOT failure for this point (but passed SVA).

A 5 amp fuse is good for the side lights.

What's with all the questions about wiring anyway..... surely you've not got that "contraption" running?

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

JoelP

posted on 19/11/03 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
lol getting there. floor goes on in a few days and i need to have a plan. Im trying to get all the lights ordered, and also fuse box etc. also i need to see how they will mount so i can get the chassis finished.

it happily sits on four wheels at the mo, or at least it would if it wasnt up side down... just needs odds and ends doing to get the chassis rolling properly.

cheeky git!

VinceGledhill

posted on 19/11/03 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel. glad it's on 4 wheels mate.

Mine is too. I've been adjusting the sump over the last couple of days. Will get out there tonight whilst the wife is at the Gym and hopefully finish it off.

Just need someone to lighten my flywheel and the engine and box can go together and be installed.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Mark H

posted on 19/11/03 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,

You're at the stage where a visit to Rufforth, our side of York, will save you ££'s.

Big autojumble 1st SAt of month. Got everything you could possibly need!

Come along on 6th Dec!! £ entry and two coffees (one for me obviously!) will cost you about £1.20

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

JoelP

posted on 19/11/03 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a plan! what time or is it a whole day jobby? is all electrical stuff there? need lights, wires, fusebox, relays etc, cos i wanna do it from scratch!!

i ordered some rear clusters from europa i think it was, all in one, including fog and reverse on each side, about 80 spondulies delivered. maybe coulda been cheaper but at least they should arrive in the morning!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.