Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike computers for speedos?
DEAN C.

posted on 30/11/03 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bike computers for speedos?

Hi,I know this has been mentioned loads of times about using these as speedos,but has anyone found what they work like in practice!
Sigmas have been mentioned in the past and are sold for motorbikes and an optional backlight is available as well.
And has anyone tried the optional wireless set up and found any problems.
I'm just looking for feedback before purchasing .
DEAN...................

sgraber

posted on 30/11/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I am planning on using one of those bike speedometers on my build with the magnet attached to the hub. (with 3M VHB tape - inside joke there...)

I had an extra speedo lying around so I attached it to my sons go-kart last week. That kart has a top speed of about 189Mph! WOW! But seriously, you need to make sure that the wheel rolling circumference is measured perfectly and entered properly into the computer or else you will get miscalibrated speed readings. Once we re-entered the numbers, my sons go-kart was actually travelling at just under 30Mph.

There is no reason you couldn't use a wireless unit, but I think the distance is too far from the front wheel to the dashboard. Besides, I think the wired unit would be more reliable.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 30/11/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
you should be fine with a normal one, you might need to replace/extend the wire as they tend to be pissy and break.

as for the wireless ones, i'm not sure if they'd handle the interference from the engine, so much car in the way, and the distance

Peteff

posted on 30/11/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have a remote one on my pushbike and it is very slow to update, but we did use a cheap halfords one on a build years back and it passed SVA. It was extended using speaker wire and a bigger fridge magnet JBwelded to the inside of the rim to pick up from.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.