Board logo

Movement in hubs
Plunky - 2/3/17 at 06:12 PM

Took the car out for a spin in the sunshine today and noticed a strange squeaking coming from both front wheels. It only ever seemed to happen occasionally.
Anyway, once I got back I jacked the front up to see if I could find the cause and I noticed a hell of a lot of movement/play in the front hubs. Once side worse than the other. I'm guessing this is an issue with the bearings possibly?
Has anybody had a similar issue?
I believe the hubs are from a Cortina as I have a Formula 27 car.
Thanks,
Liam

avagolen - 2/3/17 at 06:26 PM

If they are Cortina hubs, be careful not to adjust the play out.

There should be some play, but the adjustment procedure is simple(ish)

I do not have the specific values for the Mk2 Cortina, but I am sure someone will be along soon.

I only have a Mk1 Haynes book somewhere. Found it. Quote....
"Torque up to 28lb ft while rotating the hub in it's forward direction. Then slacken by 90 degrees and fit the nut retainer."

I did it wrong as a inexperienced young man and wrote of both sets of bearings.

Plunky - 3/3/17 at 10:41 AM

I think i'll start by changing the wheel bearings then.
Do all marks of Cortinas use the same bearings?

rusty nuts - 3/3/17 at 06:27 PM

Mk3/4 and 5 all use the same bearings . You won't go far wrong just tightening the hub nut to just take up any clearance then just back it off a touch.

Gre3D - 4/3/17 at 08:48 AM

i dont think faulty wheel bearing could cause a "squeeking" kind of noise... i think you better check some other things first! maybe a heat shield running against the brakse disc?

and as said indeed hand tighten to take out the slack of the bearing and turn it back just a tad.
washing out the bearings and checking all parts for wear/ damage should confirm your suspicion, if everything looks to be ok i'd just add fresh bleu grease and put them on the car again

rusty nuts - 4/3/17 at 09:24 AM

If there is any excess play that could cause the disc to rub against the pads at an angle causing the noise. I don't know the cost of a set of wheel bearings but they used to be cheap enough to just change them if there was any doubt ? although I have cleaned and repacked bearings in the past