Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yet another H. Roadster build thread - BMW 328 engine
MBrown

posted on 7/10/15 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yet another H. Roadster build thread - BMW 328 engine

Hi all, this is a continuation of my chassis build thread which can be found -here-

So I have now completed the chassis. I will be using equinox bodywork and have now painted the chassis and riveted on the aluminium floor and gearbox tunnel panels.

I know I am using the same engine as a few people at the moment but you can never have too many build threads

Nickp

posted on 7/10/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
More the merrier I say

I like this engine so much that I've gone out today and bought another one to keep me amused until mine's finished

[Edited on 7/10/15 by Nickp]

MBrown

posted on 7/10/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I can't wait to hear it, hopefully won't be too long until I get it started! I'm watching your build too and it's definitely giving me some ideas!
Nickp

posted on 7/10/15 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MBrown
I'm watching your build too and it's definitely giving me some ideas!

I can tell

Hey this Z3 isn't even de-restricted with the M50 manifold and it goes like a stabbed rat!! I can't wait to try one in the Haynes

blakep82

posted on 7/10/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm mega excited to see my old engine running again

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MBrown

posted on 7/10/15 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
I'm mega excited to see my old engine running again

I am hoping to get the car finished by about summer 2016, so hopefully will have electrics done by around March and engine started! Thanks again for the engine

blakep82

posted on 7/10/15 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha I said the same thing! Done by the spring. Spring 2007 originally...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MBrown

posted on 9/10/15 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Today I built a simple rivnut tool, which is just an alteration to the nut and bolt idea. Tool explanation here:

Rivnut tool

[Edited on 10/10/15 by MBrown]

MBrown

posted on 10/10/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Rivnuts added into the bottom of the chassis in pairs to bolt on some aluminium angle when/if required as jacking points.

[Edited on 10/10/15 by MBrown]

[Edited on 11/10/15 by MBrown]

MBrown

posted on 18/10/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
So engine is back in. It is such a close fit everywhere, I'm glad I've got it in and I'm sure it will be worth it but consider carefully before choosing this engine route!

Also for those who have gone this route, don't forget to either put gearbox oil in before the engine goes in, or have a small removable access panel in the drivers footwell!

MBrown

posted on 6/9/19 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Progress continues! - Finally! Moving house has prompted progress to get it onto wheels. Pics hopefully tell the story of the last couple of weeks.

I had a problem with my front hubs (seized and snapped bolt which I couldn't remove or drill and neither could my local trusted garage) so I went for some refurbished ones.

Work to do still seems endless, next jobs - I want to finish the roll bar then I'll finish fitting the pedal box and run the brake lines, fuel lines etc. So far:

pg]122038[/pg]

[Edited on 6/9/19 by MBrown]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.