Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rewiring for new ecu & security
FFMan

posted on 10/11/20 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Rewiring for new ecu & security

I'm preparing an MX5 bases Haynes Roadster for track use. It all seems to work ok (not been on track yet but private road test seems ok) but firstly, there is a ton of unused loom and connectors taped up etc that I really don't like. Secondly, I plan later to turbo or SC it, and ME221 ecu looks like the weapon of choice.

I think i note though that the ME221 plugs into the standard loom connectors, much of which i want to remove.

Is the key & security module required to make the standard ecu work, or can it be removed.

Has anyone here done this ? I wondered if the approach was to get the loom out, lay it on the floor and remove all the wrapping and see if is then possible to retain the bits I need. Or do i just buy the parts and start again, i don't think minimal wiring to run the engine OK can be that complicated ?

any tips/thoughts welcome.

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/11/20 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy the ME221 as a mx5 "special" or with a generic loom that you would need to terminate for all your sensor connections.

I expect the security stuff is required for the existing ECU though. And yes, you can open the whole loom up and start taking the cutters to it, but care and a decent wiring diagram is needed. You don't want to chop is all about then find the car won't run, I would be tempted to do it in the car, double checking after each cut.

JAG

posted on 11/11/20 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Which year and model MX5 donated the wiring harness?

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

FFMan

posted on 11/11/20 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Which year and model MX5 donated the wiring harness?

1998 NB 1.6

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.