Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pug V6 donor?
owelly

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pug V6 donor?

As my plastic car has now popped three Alfa V6 engines, I've looked into the other motors available.
I asked you guys for suggestions and got a few good pointers. The Ford V6 Duratec seemed to be a good choice but it seems that most are the 170bhp versions and I'm aiming for 200. The Vauxhall Omega V6 would be ideal as the 3ltr comes in at 210bhp but finding a manual that is on budget is proving tricky. The 2.5ltr is 185bhp but more readily available in a manual and at the right price. But then I stumbled upon the V6 Laguna engine. All alloy and seems to be compact. But the same engine in the Pug 406 Coupe has 210bhp.
I've found an engine for the right price and I'm collecting it on Wednesday. I have no idea if it will fit in the car, or how I'm going to make it spin the rear wheels. The PRV V6 engine as fitted to older Puegeots, Renaults and Volvos (hence the name) isn't the same so using an old Volvo box seems unlikely. Unles you folks know different??
So, it looks like I'll be making a bellhousing to clag it to the type 9.
Has anyone had any experience with the Peugeot ES9 J4S engine?
TIA, Owelly.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I only know that the XUD diesels work with an LDV box... Doubt that they ever used the V6 petrols though.
Volvorsport

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
its the narrow angle 60 degree v6.

its used in the v6 clio ?

thats all i know......

i have to ask why you keep popping alfa engines ?

whats wrong with a 4 or 5 cylinder with similar hp ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

hillbillyracer

posted on 31/10/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I know stuff all about RWD gearbox options for a Pug V6, but does this mean I should have a set of wheels handy mid-week?
owelly

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly Kev but I'm hoping to collect the V6 from Derbyshire after collecting some bits from Humberside, then a motory bike from Skipton. If we have time we'll dash up the west wrong side of the hills to see you. If not, could you get a price for a courier? Interparcel seem OK. I'll obviously pay the p and p and may even give you a shortened sump for the Alfa engine.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
So it's not the same one you were looking at over here? No rush on the wheels, they can sit till you're heading this way or something else works out.
owelly

posted on 31/10/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nah. The one over near you went for too much and I don't really want to have another car sat outside the house.

Volvorsport, I want to use a v6 so it is short enough to fit behind the front cross member so I can shut the bonnet. Hence the desire for short, fat engines...

RazMan

posted on 1/11/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Probably a bit late for you but this thread would give you a 60 degree V6 which is probably a bit smaller than the Pug version.

Incidentally, the Duratec V6 is easily tweaked with just a re-map to give you 200bhp. The main restriction is simply breathing difficulties which are easily sorted out with a decent exhaust and intake. For a few hundred quid extra you could even put on my ITB conversion (nearly finished now) to give more like 230bhp

[Edited on 1-11-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

ettore bugatti

posted on 1/11/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
These are lovely engines: Very silky, powerfull and economical.

It was so much fun blowing boyracers away in a 406 saloon v6 automatic (which looked from the outside as an ordinary HDI)

They do blow occasional one of the COP's resulting in running 5pots. So ensure to buy the best quality coil-on-plugs avaible. I assume you will run it with custom ECU and headers?
In that case you probably get 230-250bhp.

I believed Venturi used these engines as well in their MVS and using a UN1 transaxle probably.
In the Clio v6 it is also transversely installed.

I would just hack an adaptor plate for your current transmission.

owelly

posted on 1/11/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.
I've seen a few Mondy engines and some fairly close to the beautiful North but I have no budget to tune one to get the 200bhp. The Pug V6 has 210 as standard. There's a guy who recons he's found 250bhp with a parts bin rummage using a different plenum, chimneys and the ECU off a V6 Laguna. I have yet to be convinced so for now I'll concentrate on getting the engine bolted to the type 9, then try to get the original ECU to make the engine run. Then I'll get bored and do something else....

ettore bugatti

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
230-250bhp was also the output from the Clio V6 (phase 1 230 and P2 255)

And I believed the French secret service had the same chip in their 406s.

owelly

posted on 1/11/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
ooooooo! Excellent news. I'll be trying to find the info to make that happen. Like I need more power!

iank

posted on 1/11/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
So have you secured a supply of halfshafts, as iirc they were going pop at a faster rate than the engines

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

owelly

posted on 2/11/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've made a de-dion with an XR4x4 diff. That should stop things from breaking.

owelly

posted on 4/11/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
My tinterwebbing revealed that the ES engines came in 194 and 210bhp versions. The 210 had VVC but uses a complex, multiplex, can-bus system for everything and the only way to get it running the stock ECU is to use the whole wiring loom, dash set, immobiliser, key transponder etc. My life won't last long enough to feck about with all those wires.
However, the non-vvc ES which has 194bhp has normal blokes wires. And with a de-cat, free flow chimney and a panel filter, makes 212-220bhp. To this end.......

There's no going back now!!

owelly

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
So, after a few nightshifts, a swarf pile as big as a big bear, a few swarf burns, a few swarf cuts and a totally ruined fleec, cause by being melted by swarf, I have......<<drum roll>>
V6 gearbox.

V6 gearbox pulled to bits to get the bellhousing end.

Making swarf.

More swarf.

Offset swarf making.

Bibbles to transfer the holes to a template.

And the 'finished'adaptor plate. Just needs ffive more holes once I have the gearbox levelled to the engine.

And this computer sketch, drawn by a five year old, may help to explian what I've been trying to acheive..

coyoteboy

posted on 24/11/10 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Did you weigh the engine/box? Could you? I didn't find this post before posting my own in the middy section!
coyoteboy

posted on 24/11/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I've found out. Engine and box weigh in at 350kg
zilspeed

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I read this thread because I know Owelly's always good for a laugh and some shed engineering.

Glad I did.

The vexing question of how to accurately mark bellhousing positions has always made my head hurt.
That's a nifty little technique which I shall now remember.

The Black Flash

posted on 26/1/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Those sharpened bolt heads are a great idea
Nice work Mr. O.

owelly

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.
Just to ressurect this thread a wee bit......
The guy I bought the engine off told me the combined weight of the engine, box and ancilliaries was 350kg. That seemed a bit high and once the gearbox is off, I can lift the engine, albeit with a bit of a grunt, off the deck. It's still wearing all the ancilliaries apart from the air con compressor. I'm thinking it's close to 200kg.
I've started to pick my way through the engine loom and dispite having several variations of the same loom, I think I've worked out which pins to energise on the ECU to make things happen. I'm hoping those things don't involve smoke and burnt wires.
I've also managed to build a pedalbox to take the Pug 406 clutch master cylinder which comes as a sealed unit fastened to the slave cylinder. I've had a bespoke friction plate made (for a whole £25!!) which is the Pug v6 outer, with a Ford 23x1" centre and so far, the whole clutchy assembly seems to be working.
Here's my pedal box.

RichardK

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
I read this thread because I know Owelly's always good for a laugh and some shed engineering.

I know, I remember p1ssing myself when he bought a "small" speedboat.

Still makes me chuckle now....

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

owelly

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, yes. The speed boat....

You should have seen the turbo I bought......
I stripped it to check it over but I guess it's a bit big for thr Pug V6......

And yes, that's a 5 litre oil can.

[Edited on 10/2/11 by owelly]

owelly

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the bellhousing effort showing the sealed hydraulic clutch gubbins and the pedalbox.

And here's my 'ready in under ten minutes hybrid clutch plate'..

RichardK

posted on 10/2/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good mate with the clutch, not long before the start up vid then?

Just out of interest how big did you think the turbo was!!!

Cheers

R

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.